New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 1071-3 Troubleshooting  (Read 28030 times)

Offline nauseous

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • nauseous New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 1071-3 Troubleshooting
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:54:04 PM »
Picked up a Bally 1071-3.

Fluro lights come on when i flick the power switch to on.
The RED Pilot light never comes on. I have checked the bank of fuses behind the hopper and none are blown.
I am currently tracing the wiring to try figure out where everything is running. I haven't taken any voltage measurements on the transformer (Not sure which terminals are primary yet). The transformer appears to be in relatively good condition.

Has anyone seen this before? Have I missed something simple?
The reset button on the timer is pushed in.

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
Re: Bally 1071-3 Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
Check the plug and the wire where it enters the machine underneath. I have seen intermittent problems there. Otherwise, I check the voltage from the bottom of the fuses or just check the continuity of each fuse in the holders. They do become bad from time to time. Then I will go back top the transformer if I dont see a problem there.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 05:06:11 PM »
OK my mistake. I have traced the circuit further..

When the reset switch is in the off position the red pilot light comes on; the machine is then in shutdown. No line voltage allowed past reset switch.
Hitting the reset switch brings 240v back and the machine turns on again (and the pilot light off)..

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 05:35:43 PM »
Can anyone point me towards a pinout for the transformer terminals and what voltages they are meant to be?
It is running on 240v.

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
a picture of the transformer would be nice and I will tell you what wires are what voltages

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
Your output voltages should be coming from the secondary of the transformer:
solid blue, and solid yellow 6VAC
solid orange and solid yellow 50VAC
The EM's do not have a Ground, the ground is considered the return or solid yellow wire at the center output of the transformer.  None of your voltages should go to case ground, all circuits should be isolated from case ground.  The only ground you should have to case is the green ground wire from your line voltage coming in.
If your output voltages 6 and 50V are either half that, or double that (12V for blue and 110V for orange), then you will need to change the input wiring to your transformer.  You should find that in the free download EM manual at the bottom of ovenguy10's posts.  Nauseous, Love the name, been there often.  Are you out of country in a 240V environment?
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:40:04 AM »
See attached photos of transformer and wiring diagram.
Hope this helps.

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 03:11:16 PM »
That is awesome, thank you all very much for the information!
I am in Australia; so yep 240v is our standard for power transmission.

Will be back with an update soon.

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »
OK I am getting ~59v AC and ~6.9v AC on the secondaries. So that's a good start. I suspect an older machine like this is pretty tolerant so unless someone says otherwise those voltages aren't a major cause for concern.

I think the machine has been setup to not payout; ultimately I want to get it accepting slugs and paying out again. The hopper was included with the machine when i purchased it but it wasn't installed (sitting beside it).

The few things I can see straight away from looking at it:
1 - Slug mechanism removed and slug chute missing.

2 - Plunger removed from coil making in-operative.

3 - Wiring on reel mech...

When powering the machine up it doesn't do anything from what I can see (apart from fluro's) no insert coin lights etc. I have yet to power up with the hopper installed (waiting rebuild).
What do you guys think, has it been setup for free spins without payout perhaps? Or do I need the hopper installed for all the circuits to be completed.
I haven't tried to engage the handle and trigger the reel mechanism as yet. According to the manual I should see the coin input light up, which I'm not getting. But that could be as simple as a blown bulb..

Back with more soon.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 07:17:57 PM by nauseous »

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »
the voltage is fine and yes you need a new aremature for the handle release the wires on the real machine go to the counter coin counters

would be nice if I knew what to 1071 was post a picture look for the machine

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
I should be able to scavenge an armature for it from some pinball parts i have here. Could you perhaps post a photo or two of how the armature is held in place so I can replicate something.

As for the machine; I found it on the east coast of Australia by chance. The seller had it for at least 20 years (so he said) - OK condition I guess it didn't see much rain or moisture which is good.
It is plated as being made in Dublin.

Once I get it working internally I will clean up and restore it as best possible.

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
The manual gives an exploded view. A photo of how it looks would also be handy.

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 04:26:42 PM »
Pic1

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
yes the manual is a must have if you don't have one on the bottom of my post is a place to look and they have them for free to download

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »
How about getting parts for one of these guys. Sure would make life a lot easier if i could source an armature + related parts and a coin chute.

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
I have a lot of all of those parts but I am in the process of moving 2500 miles at everything is boxed up you might try CV slots I know he has a lot of EM parts and there are several other vendors on the vendor list that do carry some Em parts

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »
I went out to the shop I have for 5 more of those here if you need one I don't know how to send it to Europe but I can figure it out

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 05:16:23 PM »
if you look at the diagram you posted on the right side part number 22 with the real machine in the hopper in if you lift up on part number 22 and see if the Insert Coin light comes on

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 06:13:32 PM »
Thanks for the help ovenguy. Certainly interested. I am in Australia; have used USPS in the past without hassle.

I will send you a PM.

Offline nauseous

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »

I suspect something else has been removed from the handle mechanism because at the moment the handle is not locked by default (I can pull the handle freely with the machine turned off).
What should i be checking for now, a stopper arm or something has been removed perhaps ?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal