New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Ceronix 1493 too white/lines/shuts off  (Read 5370 times)

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
Ceronix 1493 too white/lines/shuts off
« on: June 23, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »
My friend changed the flyback on the Ceronix 1493 monitor for my Game King. The original problem was that the monitor would sometimes be out of focus, even with the focus setting turned all the way up.

After the flyback was changed with a NOS part, it's now too white (too bright?), has lines (which had disappeared after he changed the caps), and after awhile the monitor shuts itself off even without any kind of bumping or jostling.

Here's a video of the problem:
https://youtu.be/HmL5XsEWbTA

Any idea what could be causing these issues?

Thank you for any help!

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
Re: Ceronix 1493 too white/lines/shuts off
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:28:39 PM »
Try replacing cap C184, 200uF 100V radial.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:28:15 PM »
Your Fly back has two adjustments on it. The one is the focus as you know, the other should help with your white lines. Try turning it down, and you should see those lines fade and go away..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »
<quote> Try replacing cap C184, 200uF 100V radial. </quote>

Thanks for the tip—I looked for cap C184 on the schematic, but didn't see that numbered cap for the Ceronix 1493 model.

We installed a new cap kit, and the monitor looked great (as seen in my YouTube video for Wild Flower slot) except for the drifting focus. So we changed the flyback, but then it had the problem of the brightness and lines. Is it likely that a cap was simply dislodged?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:27:02 PM by smoothgrh »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
Most flyback transformers have a focus adjust and a brightness adjust. If he installed the flyback like it came out of the package it may have the brightness adjust set too high. The higher the brightness the more power the circuit uses, if it is set too high it may be tripping off a safety circuit that is shutting it down.

CRT's can give off dangerous xrays if they are cranked up too high, so don't have your gender-determining body parts near the screen for very long.... :garfield:

from a qualified source:
A CRT operating at the designed operating voltage will have no harmful X-Ray emission. If the high voltage were to go too high then the tube could produce X-Rays however there are safety circuits in place on all modern CRT monitors that are designed to shut the set down long before Xrays are emitted.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
<quote> If he installed the flyback like it came out of the package it may have the brightness adjust set too high. </quote> (apologies for the quote tag not actually working)

So, it's not just an issue of turning the two two knobs—focus and brightness—after it's installed? I've done that, and the picture adjusts minimally.

Are you saying the issue is how the brightness knob is set when it's installed?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:04:07 PM »
I didn't see anything in your other posts about you adjusting the flyback brightness adjust when it was installed, so I was just mentioning that if it was left unadjusted it might be set too high. If you have tried adjusting it and it doesn't fix the problem then set it to the lowest setting that still gives the best image and continue looking for the monitor's problem.

Do you know if the new flyback was the exact replacement part, or was it a "universal" type of thing? It's possible that the NOS flyback is defective, you may want to try replacing it again.

You could try reinstalling the original flyback just to make sure none of the cap kit parts were "dislodged" if you think that might have happened. With the old flyback you didn't have this white screen problem, just a focus problem.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »
Thank you. Yes, our next step is to put the original back in and see how it looks. I ordered the replacement flyback directly from Ceronix.

I'll update with the results!

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 08:49:46 PM »
We finally reverted the original flyback. It works, but for some reason, now the monitor is missing red:
https://youtu.be/kfhioT792ZE

Probably a different issue than the flyback, I'm guessing.

As for the new flyback that we ordered from Ceronix, I'll probably contact the company and ask for replacement.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:27:57 AM »
The red color is returning, though I'm not sure whether it's because I adjusted the "ring of electromagnets" on the CRT (is that the correct term?).

https://youtu.be/Qd0lNLa3jQk
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:45:27 AM by smoothgrh »

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 01:33:53 AM »
By the way, you all might have noticed that while I was suffering through this monitor problem, I bought a new 3902 board: Monster Mansion.  :24:

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
Latest update: A leaking cap was discovered and replaced, so that resolves the missing red color.

The new CPT1516 flyback of the Ceronix 1493 has an extra pin that the original flyback did not have. There is a place for the pin on the circuit board, but it is left empty with the old unit.  The extra pin connects to one end of component 466 a 2.2kohm resistor. When the new flyback is connected, the ultra brightness/white lines are still present in the monitor no matter how the intensity knob of the flyback is adjusted. Should this pin not be connected, and could that be causing the problem?

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
I have brand new 1493 chassis available for sale, these were factory set for 220 volts,  Lisa had a tech tell me what had to be done to them to convert them to 120, I think it was to remove a couple of diodes??

50.00 plus the shipping.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
What cap did you find leaking? Almost sounds like you had a flyback from a 1492 on your 1493 chassis?
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
What cap did you find leaking? Almost sounds like you had a flyback from a 1492 on your 1493 chassis?

It was a .022uF 630V capacitor[/size]  [/size]component #437—see pic.
[/size]
[/size]Hm. Interesting theory about 1492 chassis—perhaps a weird retrofit? There was a weird[/size] [/size]jumper on the back of the board. But the part numbers for old and new flyback are the same.
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
This is a 1492 Ceronix flyback new out of a box. Is number CPR1500. Here are a couple pics.
And remember...

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »
The 1500 was for the 1492 not the 1493

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »
It been a long time since I put my hands on a 1493 I couldn't remember if they used the same or different flyback.
And remember...

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
I'm not at the shop right now but the 93 uses something like a 1561....

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »
The extra pin on his one flyback made me want to compare the flyback pins on a 1492 to his 1493. Did the make two different flyback for the 1493 or just make a revision A/B?
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal