New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: New to this sport and need some help.  (Read 3086 times)

Offline theidol

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • theidol New User has no influence.
  • NLG
New to this sport and need some help.
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »
Hi,

I bought this machine 30 years ago and it has now made it's way back to me.  When I bought it, it worked perfectly.  I then had it out of my possession for 25 years.  I finally had it shipped back to me and what I got was not in working order anymore.

Two days ago when it arrived it was completely dead looking, nothing would light up.  After I identified the machine which I think is a 873 model, I started reading everything I could about the total blackout issue.  I was able to determine that I needed to press the white button behind the coin mechanism.  I filled it with quarters and plugged it in.  It spit out 10 or so quarters and is now in the state that the video shows.  Won't except any money and appears to be a large heavy paper weight.  Any insight that anyone has is much appreciated.
https://youtu.be/j21m0VspcKc

Thanks in advance.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: New to this sport and need some help.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
Hi and welcome to NLG  :wave:
That's a great video! I took a screen shot of the inside and front for our EM experts to see. Stand by... help is on its way.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 10:54:30 PM »
For starters, remove the coin mechanism and inspect behind it. There's two latches on top - hold them up and pull the top toward you, then lift it up and out from the bottom. Behind it is a solenoid that, for some reason, is engaged "telling" the coin mech to reject coins. Make sure there isn't something (like a quarter) stuck back there. I'm not a pro on EM's so this would be my first step. The next step would be to manually cycle the reel mechanism which is easy but try removing and inspecting behind the coin mech first and let us know what you see.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:10:12 PM »
I love your shot selection on your video! I thought I was watching a documentary on slot machines!  :applause:
-------
Charles

Offline theidol

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
I love your shot selection on your video! I thought I was watching a documentary on slot machines!  :applause:
Thank You

Offline theidol

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
For starters, remove the coin mechanism and inspect behind it. There's two latches on top - hold them up and pull the top toward you, then lift it up and out from the bottom. Behind it is a solenoid that, for some reason, is engaged "telling" the coin mech to reject coins. Make sure there isn't something (like a quarter) stuck back there. I'm not a pro on EM's so this would be my first step. The next step would be to manually cycle the reel mechanism which is easy but try removing and inspecting behind the coin mech first and let us know what you see.
Ok I did what  you said, (I didn't know it came out like that" and checked it and it was fine.  The solenoid was not engaging which was causing the coin to divert.  I found a bad solder joint on the micro switch below the coin device, which engaged the solenoid.

https://youtu.be/stDr2fhCuhQ

I was then able to put a coin in and pull the handle but the reels seem sluggish to me and didn't spin.  I will post a video of the next issue shortly which should help show what is happening. 

Thanks for that tip on the coin device.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
On these older mechanical machines a common problem is for the grease on the spinning wheels mechanisms to dry out and they won't spin freely. You need to do a thorough cleaning on the moving parts around the wheels. After you have all the old grease off you apply a small amount of new grease and it should work a lot better. After decades of time go by grease becomes much thicker and no longer lubricates.

If you search or read back thru this Bally EM forus you will see many discussions about it, some with photos showing the areas that often have dried grease.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
You've got to be a professional videographer and/or have professional stuff. Your videos are too good! They're framed and focused perfectly.
You must tell us! They look great.  :applause:
Do what roksgpsman said for the reel spinning.
Also, just for fun try cycling it a bunch of times. Some of my machines "fixed themselves" after just playing 20 or so times. There's self lubricating parts inside. Still though, after all the years, the best thing is to re-lube as roksgpsman indicated.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 05:25:10 AM »
All this talk about great videos so I had to see them for myself.  They are great.  I am still trying to figure out how to put the circles and arrows on my still photos. 

Absolutely remove the reel bundle CAREFULLY and lubricate the moving parts.  I use a lite oil like 3 in 1 since I heard reports of spontaneous combustion of the vapors from WD40 and such.

BTW  Welcome to the forum from New York
Ra

Offline theidol

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »
You've got to be a professional videographer and/or have professional stuff. Your videos are too good! They're framed and focused perfectly.
You must tell us! They look great.  :applause:
Thanks You, Not a pro just an enthusiast, all shot with a Canon 80D

Offline theidol

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/_6aTOFfIr4c
The sound is a little loud (my fault)

The reels spin but the reel #1 stop mechanism seems very sluggish compared to the other 2 reels.  I''m not sure if that is an adjustment or a lubricant problem

I am getting closer each day to having a working machine. In today's video I showed multiple components all working together, just in case someone here see's a glaring problem.

Thank you.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »
Again excellent!  That is a nice clean game that you have with great, non yellowed reel strips.  It looks to me that your #1 reel is simply gummed up.  In the past I have shot some PB Blaster degreaser with the little red straw along those horizontal shafts in the reel bundle whil working the mechanism.  Once free I then lubed it up with the 3 and 1 oil.  Lasted for YEARS so far.  You are VERY close.

My opinion is free and worth every penny
Ra

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:28 PM »
Lubricate all bearing points with whatever  Oil suits you. The oil will help loosen any grease.
 Your machine should be plugged in and warmed up for at least a day.
 Pull out your reels, and you should be able to lubricate 90% of the inner workings with a little pin point Oiler.
 Lubricate your clock on the left side of the reels.
 Pull out your reel mechanism and kick it by hand, by pushing on the pump arm with a little bit of vigor.  This will let you know if your reel mechanism is working OK.
 This will cure most of your problems.
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Also, each reel hub has a hole for oiling and a screw that pushes down onto the needle bearings. You can loosen the screw a turn or two.

Offline theidol

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »
Thank you all for the help in getting me where I am so far,
Got the reels turning again, fixed the "rejecting all coins issue.  Got the "would not register any coins after the first" working.

The issue I have now is that the handle seems to be at the end of it's range and does not kick off the sequence to spin the reels reliably.
See example video
https://youtu.be/LHISkJOeGBc

Is this an adjustment? 

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »
 There are two nuts attached to the threaded rod  that is actuated by the half gears
Loosen the rear-most one a full turn, and then titen the forward nut to snug it up.
This will give you a longer kick. That should take care of your handle problems

Offline theidol

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
There are two nuts attached to the threaded rod  that is actuated by the half gears
Loosen the rear-most one a full turn, and then titen the forward nut to snug it up.
This will give you a longer kick. That should take care of your handle problems
Exactly what it needed.  Thank You!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:27 PM »
 :Eating_Popcorn:
Waiting for video of fully working machine getting a win and payout.  :propeller:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal