New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT PE+ CRT to LCD Conversion  (Read 53743 times)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: IGT PE+ CRT to LCD Conversion
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 04:12:07 AM »
Originally posted by knagl on 5/29/2012:

This is great, thanks, and K+ to you!  

Looking at what you did, it looks like Stolistic and I got very close the last time we worked on this, but we were missing the sync combiner circuit.  In fact, I had even previously seen that exact diagram you included in the document, but we never put one together to test to see if that would resolve the issue.  Nice work -- we'll attempt to duplicate it with the GBS-8220 board that I have (I don't see why it shouldn't work, too).

Edited to add: Are you applying power anywhere to the GBS-8200 board?  I don't see any connected in your pictures in the document, and I'm trying to determine if that's a difference between the 8220 board I have and the 8200 board you have, or if it was just a given that one would need to apply power to the board as well.

Originally posted by PowderMaker on 5/30/2012:

Yes, power is applied to both the GBS-8200 board and the sync board. The cord is not attached in the photos but, it is mentioned in the text. I think the only difference between the GBS-8200 and GBS-8220 is the dual VGA output on the GBS-8220.

Seems like everyone was within a hair, I think the trick is the adaptable sync. It has been rock solid in my tests. The video ground to both boards is key as well.

Originally posted by alex666 on 5/30/2012:

Great news, sorry I've been away doing other things and just checked in to find you have the answer. Spent a few hrs on the problem not to mention I bought every board out there etc etc. I'm looking for the 564 chip now.
Question have you tried all possible sync configurations ie: without sync board
just directly to 8220. Curious if you tried?

Going to flood the 574 with chip-quik and remove with hair dryer best way I think.

I didn't try to get a picture through the GBS-8200 without the sync board. Seemed like everyone else tried and had no luck.

Originally posted by alex666 on 5/30/2012:

They didn't change the 574 thats why I think. I was able to get sync easily just bad color so would like to try that. If so that makes it much simpler. I have all IC's on order to try myself anyway.

Did you combine the H and V sync with wire or logic?

Originally posted by knagl on 5/30/2012:

Question have you tried all possible sync configurations ie: without sync board
just directly to 8220. Curious if you tried?

I didn't try to get a picture through the GBS-8200 without the sync board. Seemed like everyone else tried and had no luck.

Correct, for us at least.  We used a wiring harness that plugged into the PE+, and had the red, blue, and green wires attached to the GBS-8220 accordingly, and tried every combination of sync wires we could come up with (including twisting them together), and no dice.  We would sometimes see part of the image for a second or two, and that was as good as it got.

They didn't change the 574 thats why I think. I was able to get sync easily just bad color so would like to try that. If so that makes it much simpler. I have all IC's on order to try myself anyway.

I'm interested in your results.  To the best of my understanding, the 574/564 change just deals with inverting the colors.  We were never able to get a sync'd signal like you did in your previous post, Alex, so just inverting the colors might work for you, but as I mentioned even when we tied the sync together we couldn't get a stable picture.

When Alex said he inverted everything through the 7404, I thought that included the sync signals.

Originally posted by knagl on 5/30/2012:

I'm curious, can this be taken a step further to modify the machine, rather than each MPU board?  I have multiple PE+ boards that I use to swap games in and out of my machines without having to mess around with removing and inserting chips all the time. 

Basically, I'm wondering if there's any way that the video inversion can be done outside of the board (leaving the existing U45 chip -- the 74HC574 in place on the board), to eliminate the need to modify every MPU board that would go into the machine?

Originally posted by TZtech on 5/30/2012:

Karma Storm to Powder Maker for the first working re produceable circuit

Knagl: That will be a bit difficult as the RGB outputs are not simply a logic high or low - The latch switches a network of resistors and transistors to produce various voltage levels on the 3 colour drive outputs. I think this is why Alex was not getting the right colours back in post #126 as he was inverting the outputs.

Some more experimentation on the V and H drive should be done. As per attached schematic this is controlled by U56. The ideal would be to fit a socket here to and then have a inverting (CRT) and non inverting (LCD) chips which can be simply swapped around. Problem is I dont yet know what the other 2 gates on U56 are used for.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:14 AM »
Originally posted by TZtech on 6/2/2012:

Hi Guys

Anybody with a GBS-8220 got this working ? Time to order one and wondering if its worth while paying a few extra dollars for the 8220.
Found these on EBAY - good price and free shippping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-ARCADE-GAME-CONVERTER-CGA-RGB-YUV-EGA-to-VGA-GBS-8200-Promotion-now-/250899698913?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a6ac994e1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARCADE-GAME-CONVERTER-CGA-RGB-YUV-EGA-to-VGA-GBS-8220-Promotion-/250899701935?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a6ac9a0af

Originally posted by knagl on 6/3/2012:

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the 8200 that Powder Maker used and the 8220 is that the 8220 has two VGA outputs. Not necessary for this (unless you somehow want to have two screens showing the same image on the machine). Save the extra $3 and go with the 8200.

Originally posted by TZtech on 6/8/2012:

Hi All

Got a 8200 for $24 including shipping - Keep an eye on this seller there is still currently 2 on auction.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/eletronic1120/m.html?hash=item3cc6fe317a&item=261036585338&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562.

Has anybody done some more experimenting with the Synch mod?

Ian

Originally posted by nousmeme on 10/9/2012:

Using the ACV-011 from weyia.com.tw seems to be easier
Would you please take a look at the attached file? (attached at the end of this post)

Originally posted by knagl on 10/9/2012:

That board is more expensive and seemingly harder to find when compared to the GBS-8220 and similar, but thank you for your suggestion and documentation.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »
Originally posted by next_gaming on 11/28/2012:

Hello

About Wey-ya card works external whit signals however this sometimes shows a little flickering and upper right corner, about sigma exists a similar solution for those poker machines i try to upload tomorrow some picture working.

Attach Sigma Poker Image

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:58 AM »
Originally posted by palacehn on 12/17/2012:

Hello....and greetings to all....
my dear friend nousmeme....I reviewed your pdf regarding crt to lcd conversion and looks nice but I would like to have also images of the converted machine working, in order to see if colors remain similar to those on crt monitors or if they look better. Not that I don't trust your post or mod...I tell you looks interesting...but would like to see that working.....is a nice option....

by the way if you have any interest I can offer you this interface in the photo at a reasonable price plus shipping. Works really good and is tested.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 04:24:11 AM »
Originally posted by Neonkiss on 12/17/2012:

palacehn,
How much US dollars is your conversion board?

Originally posted by palacehn on 12/17/2012:

we can do it for US$75.00 plus shipping.....if you need more we can deal a better price

Originally posted by nousmeme on 12/18/2012:

(Attached images)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:36 AM »
Originally posted by palacehn on 12/18/2012:

My dear friend nousmeme my respects....looks awesome...great job...

one doubt....you say on your document "It will require unsoldering a chip on the board (the video latch) and replacing it with a socket and a 74HC564" so I desolder or unsolder however you say it hehehe and put that socket?? inside that socket place 74HC564??? do these IC change in pin number??? or can I just put one in the place of the other?? sorry for my ignorance.

As for the friends asking me how to connect the cga/vga board I am offering. I leave you a picture with "connections"...on the IGT board.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:12 AM »
Originally posted by KelTeck on 8/31/2013:

I have been watching the progress with this thread from almost the start and just wanted to thank all that worked on making this conversion possible especially PowderMaker.

I was given the upright PE+ Multi Poker machine and have been sitting on it for at least three years wanting to convert it to a LCD display. The CRT display was burned in, I had done the cap replacement so my final diagnosis was a failing flyback transformer and although it could be repaired I felt it was best to make the conversion.

I ordered all my parts from Mouser and the GBS-8200 off of eBay and began my trial run. I have to say it went fairly smoothly requiring only minor adjustments and I hope the colors are correct. Does any one have any suggestions on getting the service manual so I can learn more about these machines?

Thanks again to all!

Colors look bang on to me.
Which manual are you looking for ?
There is a PE electronic repair manual and there is a certonix manual specifically gor the monitor.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the quick response! I am looking for any and everything for this machine that would cover schematics, error codes, trouble shooting, diagnostics because this is my first machine and really have no clue about it.

My background is in electronics and computer repair including component level and this project has sparked an interest in learning more about this industry.

I think it's all documented here in the thread, but it's been so long since I've looked into this.  Would you mind posting a couple of close-up pictures of your connections to the breadboard and the GBS-8200?  That'd be awesome.

Hi knagl,

I spent some time drawing up a wiring diagram and this should make it easier but I will still post some photos if need be.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal