New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How to quiet noisy S+ reels  (Read 5731 times)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
How to quiet noisy S+ reels
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »
Pull the harness out from under the reel tray and pop out the reel mechs.
Remove the strips
(Lay them out as 1. 2. 3. so they go back the same way you removed them) and tighten the reel baskets "spokes" with plastic ties.
Tighten them up good and cut off the excess with a good pair of snips.
Put the strips back on making sure the notches are in the correct spot and re-install the reels and harness.
They should be much quieter!
When you put the ties on, make sure the ratchet tie lock is facing inside the "spokes" away from the optics that's all!

I've never tried bunker's solution, mind posting a picture of the "finished product". 

The only methods I had used for "quieter" reels were:

1.  Tape up the reel strips nice and tight so that they don't vibrate as much as the reels spin (they become kind of like a speaker diaphragm and increases the resonance of the vibrations, so the tighter they are, the less they resonate).

2.  The hammer to the hub trick.  Place a small nut driver/socket so that you can use it to tighten the friction nut on the hub, then give it a good wack, but not too strong so as to destroy the reel.  Sometimes I put a plastic washer between the basket and the nut to get it tighter while still giving it a very minor "wiggle room".

In addition to the above mentioned methods, one can also take the reel basket apart and add a thin layer of tape to the two metal spokes on the motor spindle to remove any possible vibration between the spindle and the basket.

When taking the basket off of the spindle, be careful removing the clip that holds the basket to the reels, as it has a tendency to go flying across the room! :25- :37-

Extras can be expensive -- They only seem to be dirt cheap at something like $0.02 each (<EDIT> They're now $0.06 each ;D), but with Happ's $25 minimum order and super-bonus Surprise shipping, getting them is more costly than one might imagine.  I think they ended up costing me around $50  (Okay, I did get other cool stuff from Happ, but I probably wouldn't have placed that order if I hadn't needed ONE lousy clip. (Now I have a bag full.)

For those who are interested, the Happ part number is 70-1499-00.

1.  Tape up the reel strips nice and tight so that they don't vibrate as much as the reels spin (they become kind of like a speaker diaphragm and increases the resonance of the vibrations, so the tighter they are, the less they resonate).

Could you snap a photo of the "tape job?"  I'm not quite sure I follow how you're doing this.  -Thanks!

Well,
The "tape job" I know of goes like this.
Remove the clip from the stepper motor shaft...
Pull the reel off the shaft and turn it over exposing the shaft hole.
Place about a 1 inch length of electrical tape over the hole.
Squeezed the reel back onto the shaft.
The tape will be forced into the reel hole and become very a snug fit.
Push the clip back onto the shaft and re-install the once-noisy reel !

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:44:11 PM by knagl »
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: How to quiet noisy S+ reels
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »
Originally posted by stayouttadabunker on 9/2/2009:

Okay,Here we go...the combined cable tie AND tape methods to help stabilize the reel noises and alignment.
These methods will help your S+ reels be more quiet and thy will look much better when spinning as well!
All pictures can be clicked on to be clearer and larger>>>

To do a reel fix, you need 4 plastics ties and, some type of pointed metal pick, a pair of pliers and some electrical tape.

The first picture is sort of what you need to start!

The second pic is me taking the little clip off the stepper shaft...careful you don't stab your fingers...lol

Third picture: Now once the clip is off, grab the reel baskets with two hands and press thumb over thumb on top of the stepper shaft and pull the reel off.

Fourth picture: Me putting a tie onto the reel spokes>>

Fifth and sixth pictures: Tighten up the tie wrap as tight as you can get it without busting the spokes off!
You can use the pliers to help you grab the length of tie to snug it up real good>>>
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »

Here we snipped off the remaining lengths of plastics ties and what it look like after it's done! 
Again, make sure the tie ratchets are facing away from the optic cutouts on the reel baskets.
We don't want the reel to spin and break off the reel optics do we?...lol >>>

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »

Now the for the reel silencer tape job...
Flip the reel over and place about a 1"length of vinyl electrical tape over the shaft hole on the reel basket... (pictures 9 and 10)

Punch a few holes in the tape to make it easier to slip the reel back onto the stepper shaft.
You want only little parts of the vinyl tape to get sucked down into the hole to act as an insulator against the shaft wobble which is what causes the reel noise.
You don't want ALL the tape squashed into the hole... (picture 11)

Re-install the clip over the shaft and press it down as far as you can get it with your fingers (picture 12)

Finally, use a pair of pliers and position on each side of the stepper shaft over the clip and deftly tap the pliers down with the handle of a screwdriver...
you can also use the correct sized socket and tap the clip down tightly against the basket too!! (picture 13)

Picture 14 is the finished re-furbished stepper reel!>>>

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 11:10:10 PM »
Originally posted by poppo on 11/20/2010:

A couple of cautions and notes on the tape portion of this fix. If the reel is already a tight fit on the shaft, be very careful with using the tape. You may get the reel almost all of the way on, and then it can get stuck making it very difficult to get back off. Yes it happened to one of mine. I should have left it alone when I noticed that it was already a lot tighter on the shaft than the other ones.

Also, the shafts on stepper motors are not 'bonded' to the armature. So when you go banging on the retaining  clip to make it tighter. you can actually push the shaft through the motor which will cause the reel to bind. If this happens, you can tap the shaft from the opposite side of the motor to move it back. The end of the shaft (rear of stepper motor) should be flush with the motor housing. If it is sticking out beyond the housing, it needs to be tapped back. This binding can be another cause of motor noise or the motor not turning at all.

Originally posted by stayouttadabunker on 11/20/2010:

You don't really have to bang on the spring retaining clips at all really - I just push them snug with my fingers.
Of course, I remember breaking 7/8th inch bolts with a socket wrench on high-steel skyscrapers at one time too...
Problem with nuts breaking is that when they roll off the edge of the building - you don't know what they're going to hit 80 floors below...

Originally posted by poppo on 11/20/2010:

I agree, it does not need to be more then finger tight. There were just a few posts suggesting to give the clip a good whack, which 'can' move the shaft. I already knew this from using other stepper motors, but when I was trying to remove my stuck wheel by tapping on the reel side of shaft, the shaft started moving.

Originally posted by knagl on 1/11/2011:

I was talking to a friend of mine about Bunker's method, and he said that all he does is put some glue between the two "halves" of the reel basket (in the middle, where they come together, slightly closer to the center of the reel than Bunker's zip ties) and that works to quiet them, quickly and easily.  Food for thought.

Originally posted by StatFreak on 1/11/2011:

The only problem I see with glue or even silicone is that the reels will be impossible, or next to impossible to separate should the need arise. Reasons I can foresee: The reels getting noisy again in the future; the basket breaking and requiring replacement; a problem with the stepper motor (unlikely); the need to pull them apart for more pictures when the next newbie asks a pertinent question.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal