New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: LOCKOUT coil for coin mech  (Read 4583 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
LOCKOUT coil for coin mech
« on: February 14, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
I thought this would be an easy one... but my mistake was posting under Status slot machines.

I have an old video poker machine... it's missing the lockout coil. I measure 97VAC across the wires where it was. When the maximum credits are entered (5), the voltage goes up to 117VAC.
I'm not sure if that's what it should be for to engage and disengage.
ANY ideas? I would think this wasn't that uncommon of a problem since there's probably one of these in every slot machine made before the coin comparitor... right?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:46:47 PM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: LOCKOUT coil for coin mech
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
Okay after revising my first post, and thinking...  :Scratch-Head: ... here's my next step!
I'll put out the coin mech in my old Bally EM and measure the voltage and voltage drop when the max credits. At least then I'll get an idea of the voltage and voltage drop to engage the lockout coil.
Still I hope someone replies who can share some info.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:07:32 PM »
I'm won't be much help on this but it sounds like your machine uses a solenoid lockout coil that was made to work off line voltage or nearly line voltage of 115 vac. I think I remember that the older Bally machines used solenoid coils made for 50 vac. So be careful what you try. Do you have any schematics or wiring diagrams for the machine with the missing lockout coil?

In general, I think the solenoid coil gets its power applied to one terminal and the other terminal is connected to a circuit like a relay switch or other switch that applies a ground, which activates the solenoid coil. When the coil is not activated you will measure the same voltage on each of its terminals since the ground is not applied.

You say this is the lockout coil, can you bypass that function or rig something so it does not matter and the machine plays anyway, even with the coil missing? Or maybe use a Bally 50 vac solenoid coil and somehow change 115vac to the 50 vac for the substitute coil. If you connect 2 Bally 50 vac coils in series they might be able to handle the 115 vac lockout coil voltage in your machine, since each coil would get half of that voltage, about 55-60 vac. One of the coils would just be an unused coil not doing anything, other than having its coil connected in series with the other one to handle the 115 vac across both.

Just some ideas while I'm sitting here thinkin', if you try any of this have these things handy:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:35:04 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
Mark, when measuring a/c voltage you have to remember it runs anywhere from 110v to 125v. So at 117v would be an acceptable limit. Most people refer to recepticales as 110v. Actually they run about 122v. So anyway It should be enough to activate a solenoid.

Dave.

P.S.  No Pig Latin tonight.     :24:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
Ok I'm liking the fire equipment, especially the third "piece."  :Tongue_Out:
Unfortunately no schematics on this machine.
It actually works fine without it, other than the coins will keep going into the hopper and not register after the max amount. I just thought it would be fun to get it back as it was originally.
So to check what I wanted to check (which I still didn't!), I opened one of my Bally EM's and found that it was cut! I had forgotten that it would keep taking coins as well, after the max! See picture.
Then I tried my Bally Video Twenty One and found NO lockout. I never knew... So I powered it up and forced an 11th coin and it simply played max coins (10) and then registered a "extra coin" message on the screen, which was just added to the credit limit! No picture... since there's no coil.
SO... I opened my trusty CEI machine, and - low and behold was the infamous little coil. See picture.
Hanktay Ouyay... oops ... Thank You!
UPDATE - sh*t! I tried to flip the coin switch on the CEI and stupid thing registered an error (probably my slow "flip speed" so I couldn't measure that voltage. So... I went to my vintage Bally 742a and finally got a voltage which was, yep Michael, 50 VAC - then after a coin is inserted, the coil de-energizes to 0 and the spring releases the tab into the coin mech, which sends the extra coin back to the tray. I wonder who thought of this? It's so simple.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:24:36 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »
Ok waiting for all the old slot experts here...  :wave: Someone's gotta have a pile of these laying around... What happened to Barry? He needs to "unretire."

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Calabash pipe in mouth, wineglass in hand, sitting in the overstuffed wing-back chair in front of the fireplace, my deduction would be:
[/You have a short, or shorted component, in the circuit.i]

1. Your measurements indicate the system is attempting to operate the solenoid, unsuccessfully.
2. Excessive (line voltage) current is going to a low-voltage coil.
3. Both of which imply the reason solenoid was removed is that it burned out; and that even a replacement would also soon burn out due to excessive voltage.

So, I'd suggest you trace back those two wires to the switching transistor, looking for a short or bad transistor. If tno joy, check to see if something (a short) further upstream is sending line voltage instead of 50 volts to that transistor.
You might just solve an old problem that baffled the original owner.

(Oops, pardon me: wineglass is empty.......)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »
 :sherlock: :drinking_wine:
Ok while waiting for response on my Mills M, I'm back to the Status...
I painstakingly traced back one wire of the plug (for the missing lockout coil) to the hopper plug!
That goes to a relay on the hopper:
Sigma Solid State relay 231D-3-5
Would this be the bugger that isn't switching off when it's supposed to?
The other wire is a "thicker" solid white wire. I'll check that now and add to this post.
UPDATE: The solid white wire goes to another relay on the MPU. One side of the relay says DC in 3.5v to 15vdc. The other side says 3amp 120VAC.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:12:17 PM by shortrackskater »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal