New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Why did I buy this phone?  (Read 18640 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Why did I buy this phone?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »

It looked at first like the pins went through the door and into the main phone case.
I hope I don't sound like an idiot!  :duh:

UPDATE on my idiocy...
I found a picture on the phone forum that now makes more sense. I wasn't seeing that the door encapsulates an interior frame where the cash box goes into.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:13:27 PM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
I know they are different but this gives a scope of how thick the doors are.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »

I found a picture on the phone forum that now makes more sense. I wasn't seeing that the door encapsulates an interior frame where the cash box goes into.

Yes, that is an accurate depiction of how the door assembly fits the case.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 12:14:34 AM »
Well well well...
Roto zip + cutoff wheel + chisel + bigger chisel + drill + drill and smaller bit = (finally) OPEN
The top is open that is. I had a little help from someone who's done this a few times with other payphones but he said the Medico lock is by far the hardest to drill out. It took about 40 minutes. The case (or housing?) of the lock actually gave way and we pried it up out of the case with the cam still on it.
Before all this drillin' we tested the phone and it works and of course we tested it after it got the crap beat out of it and it still works!
Next will be the lower part...
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »
Where'd everyone go? What? Ya got jobs or something???  :rotfl:

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 03:51:47 AM »
Were waiting for you to open up the cash box and tell us how much  :money: :money: was inside

:Eating_Popcorn: :Eating_Popcorn: :Eating_Popcorn:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »
That's a lot of work for 3 quarters........ :odie:

(unless they are pre-1965 silver ones)    :garfield:
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »
Got it open! Finally!
Ready?
EMPTY cashbox! And laying loose inside were 4 dimes, no silver!  :hissyfit:

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »
Crap.. I'd send it back.. :fryingpan:  That was a lot of work for .40c.. I'll stick to my old Bally slot, I've found $10 in quarters laying behind the transformer and safety timers before.

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »
I found three more dimes bringing the grand total to 70 cents!
New vault lock installed.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 02:51:02 AM »
Good job....
Now hook it up and start placing calls.  :wave:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »
I found a post on yet another phone/lock forum which said to drill just enough to shove a square shafted, flat blade screwdriver into. Then use a wrench to twist left and right and "torque" the lock from its housing. Since this seemed less invasive than cutting the door in front, that's what I did.
But what I noticed after a few pounds with my mallet, the lock seemed looser, but still wasn't going anywhere. That's when I drilled out the center and started getting the pins out. Soon I had the entire keyhole cleaned out and noticed I could manipulate what looked like a release lever/rod at the base. THAT'S where I should have stopped because I farted around with that for well over an hour thinking it would turn the lock eventually which it didn't.
  :banghead:
So finally I shoved the large screwdriver back in and gave it a firm twist, and the lock started to turn. After that, I inserted the "T" key and it released the door with "the goods."  :applause:
BUT what I found fascinating was that an earlier post I overlooked was right on! It stated that if you drive that screwdriver in and just start pounding- that the screws to the lock will unscrew themselves. That was exactly what happened in my case. When I pulled out the cash box the lock just fell off!
So now I'm wondering if I even needed to do the drilling and filing? (Which broke two cheap files, two drill bits, and a couple "pokey" rods I use to pick at things on slot machines)
Still it was GREAT help knowing what this looked like, especially the door, so thanks everyone!
I'm impressed how strong these old phones were built and the cleverness involved in keeping the cash boxes safe and how this kept the people who collected the money from stealing the coins, with the little safety clasp on the cash lid.
Strange though... mine was still sealed and there was no cash inside. Only the 7 dimes laying at the bottom of the case, outside the box. It's as if it was serviced one last time by GTE, then later the line was probably shut off and someone stuck the dimes in, thinking they'd get a dial tone.

I installed the top lock tonight. My "fix" for the grooves from the rotozip consisted of buying a big flat washer, painting it black and super-gluing it around the lock.
Now that the cash box was out, I could remove the back panel. When lifting it off, I got a huge wiff of stale cigarettes. I did a major clean up on the phone; it was as yellow as a slot machine at Fitzgerald's... Ick! Tomorrow I'm going to spray paint the perimeter of the back panel with semi gloss black and then it's done and ready to mount, somewhere!  :rotfl:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:53:34 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
Okay I promise this is my last post!
I painted that back plate and reinstalled it. Looks good.
My last task: Above the coin return was a big old dent. Apparently at one time,  some doofus thought he could break in through the coin return.
 :Scratch-Head:

I took out the coin return and found 67 more cents... a quarter, four dimes, two pennies - one of them was a shiny "new" looking 1951 - P !
I also found another screw, and found where it was supposed to go too.
With my flat big pliers I was able to pull the dent out, mostly. Then I used a small adjustable crescent wrench to straighten out what the big pliers couldn't. Finally I sprayed some semigloss black in a dixie cup and dabbed on paint to cover the bodywork area as well as the bottom, which was all rusty. Dabbed a little more all around the phone and it blended in well.
I think it looks much better now. I'm done! Really, I'm done.

Before and after shots...

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
Nice job.  :applause: :applause:  What's your next project.. You must have something in mind? :Scratch-Head: Parking Meter, maybe a phone booth for the phone...

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »
Nice job.  :applause: :applause:  What's your next project.. You must have something in mind? :Scratch-Head: Parking Meter, maybe a phone booth for the phone...

Gary

I know what...  A Mills EM slot machine!  oh wait...  :rotfl:

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
I've got so many unfinished projects here its not funny  :rotfl:.. My 1926 Jennings nickel slot needs finishing, I have a 5 reel Bally E2000 that works great just looks bad.. Chromes rusty or pitted, but I finally have all those parts!  :cool_thumb_up:  Then there's my Metalist, need to finishe fine tuning the payouts, and of course I bought a parking meter at a yard sale 5-6 years ago, but never touched it..   :fryingpan:  Looks like I need to get my butt in gear..  :dancing_2:
And remember...

Offline Shaggy

• Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 05:35:01 AM »
Mark that came out really nice.  :applause: :applause:  :applause:  Good job   :yes:

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
I've got so many unfinished projects here its not funny  :rotfl: .. My 1926 Jennings nickel slot needs finishing, I have a 5 reel Bally E2000 that works great just looks bad.. Chromes rusty or pitted, but I finally have all those parts!  :cool_thumb_up:  Then there's my Metalist, need to finishe fine tuning the payouts, and of course I bought a parking meter at a yard sale 5-6 years ago, but never touched it..   :fryingpan:  Looks like I need to get my butt in gear..  :dancing_2:

You might have to start a new subject and tell us about that meter!  :yes:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
Mark that came out really nice.  :applause: :applause: :applause:  Good job   :yes:

Dave

Thanks!
I wish my Mills was that easy...

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
Oh no!!! I bought another phone... a three slotter! It's on the way! Pictures coming soon.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal