New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Kortek KT1982s CRT - getting power but black screen  (Read 9413 times)

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Kortek KT1982s CRT - getting power but black screen
« on: October 17, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
I have a 19" Kortek CRT monitor (In an older Game King) that just has a black screen. There IS power getting to the monitor.
(I was able to slide in an LCD to test all the signals)
And when I power up the slot and remove the CRT, there is no discharge on the picture tube. Where can I start on this?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:34:14 PM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kforeman

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • kforeman New User has no influence.
  • Slot Techin since 2002
Re: Kortek KT1982s CRT - getting power but black screen
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 04:43:41 PM »
 :Scratch-Head:  so are you saying that the LCD showed the game screen?

i made up these shotgun kits years ago for the other techs so they could repair monitors too...we had about an 85-90% success rate with these kits.  many CRT's that were pulled from the floor was due to "blackout" or "no power" problems.  be aware that i upgraded the voltage on some caps but the microfarads stays the same.  good luck!!

KT-1703 & KT-1903
C421:     10mf, 50V
C504:     220mf, 50V
C123:     470mf, 25V
C126:     470mf, 25V
C122:     1000mf, 35V
C119:     1000mf, 35V
C107:     47mf, 50V
C108:     1mf, 50V

KT-1948
C411:     10mf, 250V
C414:     100mf, 50V
C415:     100mf, 50V
C412:     10mf, 50V
C417:     10mf, 50V
Q403:    IRFS540A

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »
Yes the LCD works. I just happen to have one for a while that i could test it with.
And the CRT has a black screen. I can see the power light on the touch screen controller.
I have a KT 1982S
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kforeman

• Slot Techin since 2002
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »
Yes the LCD works. I just happen to have one for a while that i could test it with.
And the CRT has a black screen. I can see the power light on the touch screen controller.
I have a KT 1982S

give me a few and i'll see what i can dig up on the 1982; i'm pretty sure i kicked them around too back in the day.  since your LCD worked good you can definitely say the problem is with the CRT circuit boards.  often changing capacitors will bring it back to life.  other high failure items for a "blackout" CRT are HOT, FET, diodes near the HOT and FET and maybe the flyback transformer.
have you visually chaecked the board for puffy caps or burnt components?

Offline kforeman

• Slot Techin since 2002
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:07:12 PM »
found your schematic!  :applause:   might be helpful, especially if you are going to order components...  :yes:

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks!  I'm sorry I forgot to say I have a manual for it, but this schematic is better quality.

I'll take another close look at this CRT and see if there's anything notable.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 07:04:09 PM »
Kforeman.. I have a question for you since you have worked on them. I'm use to working on Ceronix Chassis, mostly 1492 & 1493 unit. With the Ceronix you didn't have to use a tool to discharge the high voltage lead to the CRT because they have self discharging capacitors. Do the Kortek chassis need to be discharged at the high voltage lead to the CRT? I have a few 17" GK machines here that could have some problems and I just want to be prepared..

Thanks, Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline kforeman

• Slot Techin since 2002
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
Kforeman.. I have a question for you since you have worked on them. I'm use to working on Ceronix Chassis, mostly 1492 & 1493 unit. With the Ceronix you didn't have to use a tool to discharge the high voltage lead to the CRT because they have self discharging capacitors. Do the Kortek chassis need to be discharged at the high voltage lead to the CRT? I have a few 17" GK machines here that could have some problems and I just want to be prepared..

Thanks, Gary

hi Gary!  honestly i always discharge the CRT when working on a monitor just to cover my ass...i'm no electronics expert, i simply wasn't scared to jump in back when we lost our "monitor tech" and so i ended up figuring out how to repair most of what i took apart. 

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
Okay thanks.. I'll have to find my home made discharge screw driver with the wire and clip to ground the chassis..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
Okay thanks.. I'll have to find my home made discharge screw driver with the wire and clip to ground the chassis..
[/quote

I have one of those too! They come in handy  :lightningbolt:

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
give me a few and i'll see what i can dig up on the 1982; i'm pretty sure i kicked them around too back in the day.  since your LCD worked good you can definitely say the problem is with the CRT circuit boards.  often changing capacitors will bring it back to life.  other high failure items for a "blackout" CRT are HOT, FET, diodes near the HOT and FET and maybe the flyback transformer.
have you visually chaecked the board for puffy caps or burnt components?

Okay, finally, I took a good close look at everything I could, that's visible from flipping the CRT up, down, sideways, crossways, etc...  didn't see anything notable, no puffy caps seen.

Offline kforeman

• Slot Techin since 2002
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 04:36:41 PM »
do you have a multimeter?  looking to test the HOT...diode/continuity test setting on meter, black lead on center leg of HOT, red lead on the outer legs one at a time, should read like a diode on the meter.  if its a continuous beep the HOT is shorted.  sometimes you have to take the HOT out of circuit to get true reading.  i think the HOT is Q704 on your board

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
I'll get to this. Got busy recapping a really old CRT. I'll get to this tomorrow soon I hope. Thank you for the help.  :applause:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 03:33:42 PM by shortrackskater »

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 06:23:41 PM »
It's apart.
Looking for Q704 but not having luck. This is more difficult than my F1 monitor.
Is this a transistor or diode? Isn't Q a transistor?

Offline kforeman

• Slot Techin since 2002
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
It's apart.
Looking for Q704 but not having luck. This is more difficult than my F1 monitor.
Is this a transistor or diode? Isn't Q a transistor?

sorry man i've been hella busy lately... yeah the HOT is a transistor - Horizontal Output Transistor thus the acronym HOT.  it's usually the largest transistor on the board and is near the flyback transformer too.  testing it with a meter is like you would a diode with the center leg of the HOT being the cathode side if it were a diode.  there are transistors that don't test this way with a meter but nearly every HOT in a gaming monitor i've come across have worked/tested this way.

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 06:22:19 PM »
I can't find Q704 for the life of me... found it on the schematic but can't physically locate the damn thing.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
Mark,  try looking for it on the bottom of the board. Sometimes its easier to look there. A lot of times you can't see the numbers because of the component is in the way.  :nerd:
And remember...

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 09:46:21 PM »
Mark,  try looking for it on the bottom of the board. Sometimes its easier to look there. A lot of times you can't see the numbers because of the component is in the way.  :nerd:

Hi Gary - I am. I have the main PC chassis out. Heck... maybe I should look at the top part?
I think I'm done for the night though. I might give one more crack when I get my laundry out.

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 04:10:48 PM »
Looked and looked and looked. I can find all the Q's close to it, but not Q I'm looking for!  :hissyfit:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:09:26 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline kforeman

• Slot Techin since 2002
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 04:42:39 PM »
Looked and looked and looked. I can find all the Q's close it but not Q I'm looking for!  :hissyfit:

:Scratch-Head:   can you locate a large transistor near the flyback?  try to get the part number off of it...the schematic shows Q704 as an SSS10N60 part number, maybe you can identify it that way?  :banghead: :arrowthruhead:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal