New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need help mark iv in a 540  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Springdk

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Springdk New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Need help mark iv in a 540
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »
I recently picked up a aristocrat Wild Africa machine in need of repair. The hopper connection was causing the machine to short. I fixed that and the machine powers on but will not boot.  I have worked on igt and universal slots but this is my first aristocrat. I am lost. The 3 green lights light up on the power supply and 2 of 3 red lights light up on the main board.( not the external battery)There is only one board in the logic box with 4 connections to the back board. I don't see many machines like this. I appreciate any help. Thank you

The monitor appears to be working properly but I will double check that

Offline Heihachi_73

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Heihachi_73 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Need help mark iv in a 540
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 08:43:42 PM »
Is there anything on the screen? If the whole screen is full of zeroes it may indicate a badly seated or faulty chip. If the game is showing graphics but with garbled symbols, a lot of FF's and a bet of 55, it might just need a RAM clear.

Any photos?

Offline Springdk

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:39:38 AM »
Thank you here are some pictures and an update:

Thought that maybe the monitor connection was bad so I replaced the plug from the monitor to the main board . Nothing
Next I hooked up a vga converter to see if I was getting a signal. Nothing

Offline Springdk

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:48:27 AM »
Here is a picture of the machine

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:50 AM »
just a thought,,,,,

The video from the mpu board (main logic circuit board) may be missing, or the video processing circuitry on the crt display circuit board could be bad. The screen has a raster, you can see the gray background and retrace lines on it so the high voltage and scan circuitry is working.

Since you have a vga converter you could try connecting another display that has a vga input (computer monitor, lcd screen) to the vga converter and connect the vga converter to the mpu board. If you still don't get a good image then the video output circuit on the mpu board is likely bad. But if you do get a good image then the machines crt display board is bad.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Springdk

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 06:21:32 AM »
Yeah I hooked it up to a LCD tv with the vga converter ( have used on other arcade games) and getting no signal. Can some of the links be incorrectly set? Wrong connection on either board? Its hard to find information on this setup And I would hate to give up on it.
Thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 06:40:37 AM »
Yeah I hooked it up to a LCD tv with the vga converter ( have used on other arcade games) and getting no signal. Can some of the links be incorrectly set? Wrong connection on either board? Its hard to find information on this setup And I would hate to give up on it.
Thanks

I don't know anything about your model of machine, sorry. But it sounds like you've proven the video signal is not getting off the main circuit board. Have you gone thru the manual for it, looked at the menu setup screens, made sure all selections are proper? It's possible (not likely) that a power supply voltage used by the video portion of the mpu board is bad.  You may want to just look for a replacement mpu board for it and swap it out. I've heard that some gaming machines won't operate if the battery is bad, might want to make sure it is ok.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Springdk

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »
Later today I will check the voltage from the power supply. All the manuals I have for a 540 or mk4 don't match up to the board I have. I have looked everywhere for a replacement board and cannot locate one. If anyone knows where I can get one please let me know... or the exact manual for this machine that shows link connections. I appreciate the help

Offline SS308

• SS308 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 04:42:41 PM »
New Zealand still has plenty of that model, try trademe.co.nz & search gaming/pinball they pop up often

Offline Springdk

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 05:06:04 PM »
Thank you... none right now but I will keep checking

Offline Heihachi_73

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Heihachi_73 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 03:17:39 AM »
I'm not sure whether a NZ (or Australian) MK4 board is compatible with the USA platform or not, the board looks slightly different to what I'm used to (usually Australian boards do not have all of the sockets populated). I know for a fact MK5 boards (and chips) are not compatible between the USA platform and the rest of the world.

If it's not booting at all it could be anything from a bad board to something as simple as something that isn't seated correctly (cables, chips) to faulty RAM, cold solder, bad caps etc. I would definitely consider testing the power supply for correct voltages, given that these machines are 20+ years old. The monitor itself looks fine, going by the horizontal lines showing up in the photo.

If the machine was operating it would still make some noise e.g. opening the main door would cause a series of beeps which is quite loud.

Offline Springdk

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 05:31:02 PM »
I checked the power supply again
Orange 23.0
Red 5.0
Purple 12.2
White 4.6

Are these too far off? Any ideas
Thanks

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal