New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Newbie with a Bally 1090  (Read 2107 times)

Offline BFW577

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • BFW577 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Newbie with a Bally 1090
« on: October 28, 2017, 04:05:58 AM »
My wife purchased this at an estate sale for me for $50.  I did a little research of it online and got it up and running. Spent hours trying to get it run and it seemed after wedging something to put pressure on the hopper to activate the switch on the bottom was the only way it would. I assume it thinks it needs to be full of coins in order for it to run?

The only issue it has so far are the right reel will sometimes spin and not stop completely.  It will sort of freewheel sometimes.

The payouts dont seem to be working 100 percent. It seems to always pay out on a cherry but not on some of the other payouts. The win meter also doesn't seem to be working correctly.

The lever doesn't always return smoothly.

There is sometimes a really loud hum coming from it.

What does the silver button do on the top right do?

I have gone through the various online manuals available for it. Appreciate any insight. I attached some pictures.

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
Re: Newbie with a Bally 1090
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:28:47 AM »
Welcome to New Life games
I am a strong believer with new people repairing one problem at a time that away if we caused another problem it's easier to isolate and find now that we have my service beliefs we need to clean and oil the real machine it is not latching properly there are several little arms underneath of the reals that need to be cleaned and oiled I usually recommend good penetrating oil I will throw some pictures up of the arms later for you then we will get on to cleaning and Servicing the payout system

Offline BFW577

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »
Welcome to New Life games
I am a strong believer with new people repairing one problem at a time that away if we caused another problem it's easier to isolate and find now that we have my service beliefs we need to clean and oil the real machine it is not latching properly there are several little arms underneath of the reals that need to be cleaned and oiled I usually recommend good penetrating oil I will throw some pictures up of the arms later for you then we will get on to cleaning and Servicing the payout system

Thanks Jon for the quick response. I think I found what needs to be oiled based off this guide below for the reels and the pull handle. Going to start with these and move on to the payout issue.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:28:38 AM »
My wife purchased this at an estate sale for me for $50. 

What a wife! We need more like her, give her an NLG smooch!   :cool_thumb_up:

Spent hours trying to get it run and it seemed after wedging something to put pressure on the hopper to activate the switch on the bottom was the only way it would. I assume it thinks it needs to be full of coins in order for it to run?

On some machines the hopper has a weight switch, when the hopper gets too many coins there is a coin diverter on the inside of the main door that activates to send any more inserted coins on a different path to a bucket in the base or stand that the machine sits on. This is to prevent a coin overflow from the hopper that would spill metal coins inside the bottom of the machine. But I didn't think it would keep the machine from operating. There should be an adjustment on that switch so it will activate with less coins.

The only issue it has so far are the right reel will sometimes spin and not stop completely.  It will sort of freewheel sometimes. The payouts don't seem to be working 100 percent. It seems to always pay out on a cherry but not on some of the other payouts. The win meter also doesn't seem to be working correctly. The lever doesn't always return smoothly.

Older machines like this usually have dried out grease that is gumming up the mechanical parts that need to move freely. The reels spin on shafts, there are little cogs and levers that have to move back and forth, electrical boards with mechanical "fingers" that need to rotate and move over switch contacts. Everyone says one of the first things to do is give it a good cleaning. Something like PB Blaster or even WD40 can be used sparingly to clean off the stubborn old grease & grime, then apply a small amount of fresh grease or oil where needed. Be careful with spray cleaners like WD40, they are flammable, so have the machine unplugged and don't operate it until the fumes have dissipated completely. It can flash fire.

There is sometimes a really loud hum coming from it.

Is this loud hum coming from the speaker or somewhere else? Sometimes the old fluorescent lights or their ballast will make a humming noise. You can try disconnecting them one at a time to see if that is the problem. The hopper motor can hum if it is binding somehow, but the hopper motor should only come on when the machine wants to pay out coins.

What does the silver button do on the top right do?

Is that silver button perhaps the door switch, it tells the machine when the door is open or closed?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:10:35 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rdaniel

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • rdaniel New User barely matters.rdaniel New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »
The silver button on the top right is probably an off-on switch for the 50 volt system in the machine,  coils, etc.

Rdaniel
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:58:34 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
Great machine for $50.
When exactly does the machine make the loud hum sound?
Is it constant or when the machine is suppose to payout coins.
Might be something rolling around in the hopper jamming it, which would cause a loud hum from the motor.
Regarding the handle, try a little oil in the air cylinder as if the rubber cup is still behind the piston, it may be gummed up causing it to stick.
As for the 3rd reel, all the linkage under the reels needs to move freely. All bushing and linkage should spin an or rotate on the cross shafts. With the reel mechanism out of the machine and the reels separated from the chassis prop up the right side and apply some penatrating oil so it will run down the shafts. Best to do this a couple of times and let it sit overnight. Repeat the next day and manually work the mechanisms. Clean excess and apply light oil like 3 in 1.
You can test the winner paid counter to see if it works. They usually have two orange wires coming out and two color coded wires that signal the meter to advance and reset. Could be a small diagram on the back.

Offline BFW577

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »
Thanks for all the help everyone. Spent most of the weekend working on it. I serviced the reels and handle with a good cleaning and oiling. I did find the air piston was sticking bad. I took it apart and I think the rubber piece on the end disintegrated. I removed it but it doesn't seem to be dampening like it should. How important is this part? Can a replacement be purchased? See the picture below.

The only other 2 issues I have are the following.

If I insert more than one quarter it still only pays out as If i put one in. I believe the unit up top with the round disc controls this? There is also another unit with a wheel with numbers on it next to that.

When I put a coin in a bell rings but when I win is there supposed to be another bell or chime that goes off? It just dispenses the coins without making any other noise. I see 2 bells in the top.

Other than that its working great.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »
The cup seal in the air cylinder is not necessary. I just just a very light amount or grease on the piston. You just can't let handle fly back. As for you loud hum I think or the coin diverter or the scavenger behind the coin mech could be making the noise.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »
The machine only has a coin in chime, no jackpot bell.
Regarding the second coin. Try manually pressing down the coin in switch.
As to eliminate a coin diversion.

Next on the swing down light board there are 3 sets of switches.
Try cleaning the contacts on the 3rd switch from the right.
Also clean the contacts and receiver rivets/buttons on the odds step up unit located in the top.
See if that help for the second and third coin problem.

Offline JanGbg

• Reputation Power: 4
  • JanGbg New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
Did you buy it for only $ 50? Congratulations!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal