New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: MPU Cleaning  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Willson

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Willson New User has no influence.
  • console.log("Hello World!");
MPU Cleaning
« on: December 06, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
Hello all,

I'm very new to this, I just picked up a machine on Sunday night, my first one, I traded a WiiU for it. I spent last night taking apart all the buttons and giving them a nice cleaning with my Dremel, button prongs, springs, grounds, tightened up the connectors, got all the buttons working good now. The game runs fine, its a little glitchy if it get bumped the right way, screen starts rolling, color gets messed up... I just have to wiggle the MPU board to get it to come back correctly (I feel like I'm playing with NES cartridges again) Anyhoo... Taking a look at the MPU board its filthy, I've taken a pretty big ratio picture of it so you can really see the condition of it. Is there a good way to clean this thing? Or should I just leave it the way it is, maybe the crap is holding it together? Thx.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:42:29 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: MPU Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:24 PM »
You should try and find a PE+ Superboard while you can still find them (it has multi-poker sets).  I would also pick up a couple spare regular MPU's.  Looks like that one is not in good shape.  As far as cleaning it is concerned, others here have more experience on that.  I usually use a moist towel and then blow dry the board and let it stand for 48 hours in a dry place after that.  But there are some cleaners that can be used as well, I've never used cleaners though, never had a board quite as bad as yours.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
..... Is there a good way to clean this thing? Or should I just leave it the way it is, maybe the crap is holding it together? Thx.

Ha! They say not to repair something when it is working or even sorta working, leave sleeping dogs lie and all that. But I'd be inclined to clean yours to prevent a future problem from possibly happening.

Your machines glichiness may be because of a flaky connection in one of the wiring connectors, so inspect other parts of the machine also. Even fuse holders can get intermittent, the fuse cap may be loose or the spring bad. Take a look at all the connectors you can, check for tarnished or corroded or loose connectors. The edge connectors on boards can be cleaned with a soft pencil eraser. Keep in mind that your mpu plugs into another board, called the motherboard or backplane board or interconnect board, and it could have flaky connectors. So you might want to examine it.

As Rick said you should find another mpu board to have on hand, think of it as an investment in case yours becomes unreliable.

We used to take a pan, like a cake pan or other large pan and place the board in it, then run enough distilled water over it to cover it. You could also do this in a large sink. Add some mild liquid detergent, just enough to make suds or bubbles. Take a small new paintbrush and brush the board all over, clean the board thoroughly topside and backside. If the water gets yucky then pour it out and add fresh. Take your time and try to brush every square inch of the board. Don't damage the board, just dislodge whatever crap is on it. If you are comfortable I'd remove the chips in sockets so the sockets and their contacts can be cleaned better. Make notes and take photos so you can get the chips back into the correct socket, pay attention to the notch on one end of the chip so you don't get it installed backwards. Don't bend the chip's legs when removing or reinstalling them. If there is any part on the board that would allow water inside and be difficult to remove, like a transformer with paper covered windings, then it is best to not submerge that part of the board. The reason to use distilled water is to avoid water spots or mineral deposits when you are done and the water evaporates. If you think there is battery leakage on the board then I'd clean that area with vinegar first to neutralize the battery leakage, then clean the board with distilled water and detergent as described.

Once you are happy that the board is as clean as you can get it you rinse it over and over in fresh distilled water. You can use a wetting agent in the rinse water (like Jet-Dry) to help the water run off as much as possible. When done tilt the board and tap it on a dry towel to get as much water off as you can. Then lay the board on a thick dry towel and have a ceiling fan or other fan nearby blow air slowly across it to dry. A blow-dryer on low heat could be used also. Be careful about using compressed air to blow the excess water off the board, at this time of year the air is dry and you can get very high static electricity levels with high-speed fast moving air, enough to zap an ic on the board. Make sure the board is completely dry before installing it into the machine and powering it up. I'd let it dry overnight to be safe.

Before cleaning the board extensively I'd get another board, just in case things go south. Cleaning like this isn't a big risk, but hey, it's electronics and stuff happens.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:16:56 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
The best way that I have found to clean a board is to use "Simple Green" and a scrub brush.
Then rinse with hot water, then rinse with rubbing alcohol, the 95% or higher type.
The allow to air dry for 24 hours standing on edge.
This is how to clean boards that have had leaking capacitors replaced to remove the electrolytic fluid.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline Willson

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Willson New User has no influence.
  • console.log("Hello World!");
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:38 PM »
Cool thanks for the tips. My only concern is in the picture, well can't really be seen is a transformer can only see the power plug and whatever is inside the heat sinks, I don't think I should get those wet, or can those be removed easily?

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:15 PM »
The power transistors in the heat sinks can be unsoldered but not necessary.
The transformer should be removed or care taken to keep as much liquids off of it as possible.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal