New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: My big bang piggy bankin  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ssslaidlaw New User has no influence.
  • NLG
My big bang piggy bankin
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:32:46 PM »
Hello everyone. I just received a 1999 Big Bang piggy bankin slot machine. I can plug it in and power it up but when I close the door it does not do its cycle. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to working on these machines. But if anyone could help me get this machine operational I would much appreciate the help.

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: My big bang piggy bankin
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »
Hello everyone. I just received a 1999 Big Bang piggy bankin slot machine. I can plug it in and power it up but when I close the door it does not do its cycle. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to working on these machines. But if anyone could help me get this machine operational I would much appreciate the help.

Welcome to NLG. What brand is your machine. Bally, Igt, etc. We'll get you in the right place.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »
It's a Williams

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »
We'll need more info about it, but the power supplies on these are a weak point and are often what cause a fail. So that's the first thing to check. The main power supply is in the lower cabinet, it is inside that gray box on the left side wall, not far from the hopper area, it has the main power switch on the front. In the upper box behind the glass is another power supply that is 12 volts only, it is only used by the dot matrix display enclosure up there.

Open the main door, then lower the card cage door where the 2 circuit boards are located. Power on the machine and look for 5 red lites (LEDs) to come on, they are on the right hand side of the upper board. Take a photo or tell us if all 5 lites are on.

The machine is a Williams, also known as a WMS. The model is a 40X series, like 40S5 or similar. They are also called WMS dotmation machines due to the animated dot matrix graphics display.  Post photos if you can, front of machine and inside.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Does the door frame/cabinet frame have a switch or optics that may not be engaging when the door is closed?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:45:41 PM »
It should have a white Cherry switch, mounted on the right-hand edge of the lower cabinet (as you face the machine), not far from the main door lock.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
WMS machines do not use optics for any of their doors.  I agree with the general sentiment, power supplies are usually the culprit.  The led lights on the I/O boar  would verify that.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 08:15:14 PM »
From my perspective it looks like it only posted the one photo. You said there were two cards but there is only one card behind the locked Shelf.

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:36 PM »

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
There is a second card slot. I'm guessing it's bad news that I am missing a major component?

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:32:28 PM »
And to respond to some of the other post the door switch is not update it is mechanical as someone posted as a cherry switch. There was one set of wires connected to it and two other sets of wires marked as door / key switch that were not connected.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »
There is a second card slot. I'm guessing it's bad news that I am missing a major component?

EDIT- MORE INFO ADDED

yes, your machine is missing the cpu board (also known as the mpu board, or main circuit board). It is a required part. They are available, just have to check the various places. I and others here will let you know if we see one for sale. 

The cpu board is WMS part number A-17677-02, also known as p/n 5779-13910-02. There is also a newer board that is A-17677-03, 5779-13910-03. Either one will work in your machine. WMS calls it the "Slot CPU" board. You can also post a comment here on NLG saying that you need an mpu (cpu) board for your Williams Dotmation Big Bang Piggy Bankin machine, everyone will know what that means. We have people that sometimes have extra parts that will sell you one. These machines date from the 1990s and they were never as plentiful as IGT machines so finding good working boards sometimes can take a little while.

The other board that is in the card cage is called the I/O board, or the Slot I/O board.

Now the bad news. I think your main power supply is bad. Even with the cpu board missing the 5 red lights on the I/O board should light up if the power supply is working. So besides needing a cpu board I think you are going to need another main power supply. This is just my opinion, no problem if you want to get advice or suggestions from others, in fact I'd recommend it so you feel more sure about it.

If your BBPB machine didn't cost you a lot you can spend some to get it running and still have a great machine for not a lot of cost, they are a lot of fun.

My guess is that the lower power supply went bad and someone didn't want to fix it, so they removed the cpu board to use on another machine or to sell. It happens.

Since someone removed the cpu board maybe you should post several photos of the machine so we can see if anything else is gone. That way you will know what kind of project big or small you have on your hands. Post as many photos as you want, you can attach several to each comment as long as you don't go over the max file size. If you want you can reduce the photo size your camera takes instead of the huge megapixel normal size and we will still be able to see it just fine.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:05:33 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »
Below is an example of a place that has the Slot CPU board (mpu board) your machine needs. Rudy's has been a good place to get stuff in the past but lately there have been some reports about slow delivery or other problems. I would still buy from them if I needed something they had, but you might want to contact them first. These cpu boards show up other places too, like ebay and elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people here on NLG have one they'd sell. So I'd recommend you shop around a little before buying. Plus you still need to find out about your power supply, if it is bad and what to do about that.

The cpu board is where the game software eproms are installed, in your case it will be Big Bang Piggy Bankin' eproms. There are 6 eproms needed. We can help you with that if you decide to fix it. When you get a replacement cpu board it will likely not have any game software installed, or it will have them for a different game from whatever machine the cpu board was removed from.

http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90&product_id=3500
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:39:52 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 09:52:37 PM »
Here is another idea,
Below is a recent ebay auction for a bunch of cpu and I/O boards for your machine by one of our NLG members. It looks like he was selling the entire lot of boards, unknown condition. You might contact him to see if he has a known good cpu board that he will sell you. If interested you can send a private message to him here on NLG, just click on his profile link below then click on his pm link. If you do this I'd also check to see if he has a good lower power supply.

his past ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-WMS-CPU-and-I-O-BOARDS-/121972592198?hash=item1c66220e46%3Ag%3AYrMAAOSw9~RXJOZQ&nma=true&si=LXxJo640fXCAChiyVcMaWdjinHc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

his NLG profile:
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=profile;u=29
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:26:29 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »
Thanks for posting the photo of your machine. I looked it over and didn't see anything other than the slot cpu board that is missing, at least as much as I could examine in the photo. I brightened your photo and attached it below, that way we can see details a little better. [EDIT: to help get you up to speed quickly on this machine I've also attached a copy of your photo with some notes]

If you want to post a photo showing the entire inside of the main door we can check it for missing parts.

If you got this machine for free or very little you will be fine. Even if you decide not to repair it the various parts off it will sell for enough to make it worth your time. What is the history on the machine, where did you get it, can the previous owner be of any help with it or maybe give you back the cpu board?   :garfield:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:50:22 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 08:50:12 AM »
Wow thank you for all the amazing help. This is more than I had hoped for. As for where I got the machine it was a freebie. I've been able to talk to the last couple of owners and essentially it has just been passed around and no one could ever get it to work. The person that I got it from was going to take it to the dump.

Offline Ssslaidlaw

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 08:57:34 AM »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
Wow thank you for all the amazing help. This is more than I had hoped for. As for where I got the machine it was a freebie. I've been able to talk to the last couple of owners and essentially it has just been passed around and no one could ever get it to work. The person that I got it from was going to take it to the dump.

Dang, that's a Class A felony around here !  :odie:

If you live close enough for a road-trip I'll come over and buy it, pay you double what you paid.   :garfield:
[I'm serious about that, let me know if you want to get rid of it]

The lower power supply is famous for giving out after a few years. So much so that hobbyists have come up with a fairly easy fix using a much more reliable and readily available power supply - a standard ATX computer power supply. It has been discussed several times with instructions posted here on NLG and on the old NLG archived website. Here is one of the discussion threads about it:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=4404.0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:16:54 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 09:33:10 AM »
EDIT - More info added

If you have a meter you can check the lower power supply to see if it is bad. But really, the red lights on the I/O board are telling us that it is.

I keep saying "lower power supply" because sometimes if we just say "power supply" people get things confused with the upper power supply and that is a separate issue. We can also call the lower power supply the main power supply. Generally if someone is talking about the machine's power supply they are referring to the lower one, it operates everything except the dot matrix display box.

The upper power supply only provides power to operate the dot matrix screen and the dot matrix controller board inside the dot matrix metal box behind the dot matrix screen. That upper power supply can be easily replaced with a computer power supply or other low cost 12 volt dc power supply.

If your lower power supply is bad there are different ways to go about fixing the machine:

1) Sometimes people part-out a machine and you can buy the entire lower power supply assembly metal box and simply install it into your machine. Keep in mind you will be putting in the same model of unreliable power supply and it may fail again, but this is the easiest and fastest way to fix your machine. This power supply design was marginal and any original one you find to replace it with are going to be from the 1996 time period. Some things get better after two decades but electronic power supplies don't. However you may get lucky and a replacement power supply assembly may last for years. The lower power supply is mounted to the side wall of the machine with just a few screws and can be quickly removed. Here is an example, other places have them too:

http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=90&product_id=3893

(if you look at the second photo on that webpage (click on it to enlarge) you'll see how the power supply board sits on top of the bigger power distribution board, both of them inside the power supply metal box. That's helpful to understand method #2 below)

2) You can take your lower power supply metal box out of the machine and open it up. Inside are 2 circuit boards, a "power distribution" board and the power supply board itself. The power supply board can be removed and replaced with an improved power supply board that is available from several sources, including some folks here on NLG (the last time I heard).

3) Certain wires on the machine's low voltage wiring cable (the biggest connector that plugs into the lower power supply) can be cut and then wired to a new ATX computer power supply. The voltages are +5vdc, +12vdc and -12vdc, plus a few more wires. The ATX power supply makes these voltages and it is small enough it will fit in the back of the machine out of the way. The ATX power supply's power cable plugs into one of the extra 115vac outlets on the side of the lower power supply metal box. This mod isn't hard to do but you have to be comfortable with doing the electrical wiring. Some owners install connectors on the cut wires to make it easy to connect and disconnect, but I just splice the wires using twist-on wire nuts, they work great and really you won't likely be disconnecting them again since the ATX computer power supply is so reliable.

Here is a long discussion thread with lots of good info about your kind of machine. I'd recommend you take your time and read thru it, this person had to do repairs similar to what you are facing, and you'll find out a lot about the WMS dotmation machines that will be helpful. He and the other people in the thread are still active on NLG and may have parts that you need.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=4124.0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:12:17 PM by rokgpsman »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal