New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bill validator not enabled  (Read 5254 times)

Offline boland1776

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • boland1776 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bill validator not enabled
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »
I have an old IGT Haywire slot that was in storage for a few years. Now, when I power it up the unit does its power up stuff, the BV does its power up init (you can hear it cycle for a few seconds then stop with no clunks or extended cycling). After a few seconds I can insert coins and the machine runs but the "Insert Bills Here" light never comes on. Any idea what the issue might be? The BV is a DBV-145-SS

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Bill validator not enabled
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Are you sure the BV worked ok on the machine before it was put in storage years ago? (just checking, in case your memory is like mine sometimes)  :garfield:

Could the machine have lost some of its settings because the cmos ram battery has gone dead? If the credit limit or certain other limits are reached I don't think the machine will allow money to be inserted that would put more credits above the limit. And if the BV is not enabled for some reason you will need to use a SET chip to enable it  If you have another similar IGT machine you could try the Haywire BV in it to make sure it works ok and that the problem is with your Haywire machine.

There should be a screen in the Test/Diagnostics menu that shows if the BV is enabled or not.

Also, once you get the BV working it is likely that the only paper bills that will work ok with the DBV-145 is a $1, all other bills have had design changes that probably are not recognized by the DBV-145. Just a thought...

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline boland1776

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
As I recall, before I put the slot into storage, I had either replaced the battery and/or changed the PROMs (for a different payout ratio). I know for a fact the BV was working before that but can't remember if it worked after I "fixed" it  :)
Is there a URL or procedure I can follow to ensure the settings you refer to are set correctly on my slot?

Thanks!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
If it is an IGT S+ machine then there is a lot of information about settings and user preferences in the "sticky" notes located at the beginning or top of the IGT S / S Plus forum here on NLG:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=80.0

A sticky note is a message thread or posting that is of such common interest that it is permanently placed at the beginning of the forum so it is easily found. Take a look at these and see if they have what you need. The sticky notes are in a different color (tan or light brownish) than other postings, and on the leftside they have an icon of a red stickpin pushing into a piece of paper. Here is one of the sticky notes about checking or changing machine settings:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=514.0

Since this is done thru software that is installed in the machine's mpu board eproms it can vary depending on which version of SP chip you have. You can look at the label on your SP chip to see what number it is, or there is a way to bring that info up on the front display. Usually easier to just read the label on the eprom.

In general, you press the little white pushbutton inside the machine to enter the setup screens or diagnostic menus. Then you press a button or turn the reset key to step thru the various settings until you get to the one you want to check or change. If you change the setting then you need to save it when exiting the menu system. The older machine software uses menu numbers for each setting, newer machines use a friendlier interface with written descriptions. If your machine is not an S+ then let us know and we'll go from there. If unsure what slot machine model you have just post a photo of it. You can also post a photo of the eproms on your mpu board and we can see what software you have.

I believe your DBV-145 uses a power supply box located inside the slot machine, not far from the DBV-145. It is a black box approx 10 inches wide (just a guess). This power supply is probably ok if you hear the DBV-145 cycling when you power the machine up. But if you upgrade the DBV-145 to a DBV-200 (frequently done) then usually this DBV power supply has to be replaced with a more powerful one.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:38:07 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
As I recall, before I put the slot into storage, I had either replaced the battery and/or changed the PROMs (for a different payout ratio). I know for a fact the BV was working before that but can't remember if it worked after I "fixed" it  :)
Is there a URL or procedure I can follow to ensure the settings you refer to are set correctly on my slot?

Thanks!

If you have a meter it is pretty quick to measure the battery voltage, just to make sure it is ok. If it isn't you will want to replace it. The batteries last a while but since the machine was in storage and not turned on for several years I'd check it to know if it is still good.

Since you changed the game eproms that could be what disabled the bill validator. Here is an explanation on how to enable the bill validator using the SET chip:
http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/dbv.htm

If you don't have a SET chip they are available from many vendors here on NLG, also ebay sellers and elsewhere.

Offline boland1776

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
If you have a meter it is pretty quick to measure the battery voltage, just to make sure it is ok. If it isn't you will want to replace it. The batteries last a while but since the machine was in storage and not turned on for several years I'd check it to know if it is still good.

Since you changed the game eproms that could be what disabled the bill validator. Here is an explanation on how to enable the bill validator using the SET chip:
http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/dbv.htm

What voltage should I see?

Offline boland1776

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
I forgot to mention.. I have already gone through the "Enabling the DBV" doc. The DBV still wont accept bills.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »
Voltage is typically 3.6 volts on a new battery. The battery should have the voltage spec written or stamped on it. What kind of battery is it (coin shape, cylinder shape)? Some of the coin shaped batteries are 3.0 volts.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
I forgot to mention.. I have already gone through the "Enabling the DBV" doc. The DBV still wont accept bills.

Did you specifically try a $1 bill? That the best one to use when troubleshooting a DBV problem. And you already have a SET chip and are familiar with using it? Does the bill validator pull the bill in, then reject it back? Or does the bill not even get pulled in?

Unless you have saved some old paper money from back when I was a teen then your DBV-145 will not work with any paper bills other than the $1. All the other bill denominations have changed their look and design.

Offline boland1776

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »

Did you specifically try a $1 bill? That the best one to use when troubleshooting a DBV problem. And you already have a SET chip and are familiar with using it? Does the bill validator pull the bill in, then reject it back? Or does the bill not even get pulled in?

Unless you have saved some old paper money from back when I was a teen then your DBV-145 will not work with any paper bills other than the $1. All the other bill denominations have changed their look and design.
Yes, I have the set chip (or a set chip that was supposed to be for this slot). I went through the set the dbv reset steps . set to 9__1 and set denom value (25). Then cleared the "61" code. The slot accepts coins but no bills. The DBV will not let any bills (even $1) into its opening (the "Insert Bills" light is not on, so I presume the DBV is somehow now enabled (or broken).

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:27:32 PM »
Looks like you've checked all the ideas I have at this time. Hopefully someone else will post something to try. There are other more experienced folks here that login at night, let's see what they have to suggest.

Do you have another machine you can try the DBV-145 in, or can try another DBV in this machine?

Offline boland1776

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »
Looks like you've checked all the ideas I have at this time. Hopefully someone else will post something to try. There are other more experienced folks here that login at night, let's see what they have to suggest.

Do you have another machine you can try the DBV-145 in, or can try another DBV in this machine?

Only the one machine.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
It could be the power supply that powers the BV is bad.
If you have a meter and some small pins on the small connector that plugs into the left side of the BV, the two pins (top and bottom) closest to you is the 12VDC from the power supply.
Use your meter and see if there is 12VDC on those two pins.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline boland1776

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
It could be the power supply that powers the BV is bad.
If you have a meter and some small pins on the small connector that plugs into the left side of the BV, the two pins (top and bottom) closest to you is the 12VDC from the power supply.
Use your meter and see if there is 12VDC on those two pins.
I'll check in the morning, but I doubt it's a power issue since it does complete a power cycle. That said, I have seen weird things with electronics and wont rule out the possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal