New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: V7000 20” Upright MPU Board Exception Code - 001C  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Anntron

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Anntron New User has no influence.
  • Tinkerer
V7000 20” Upright MPU Board Exception Code - 001C
« on: June 09, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
V7000 20” Upright MPU Board Exception Code - 001C
MPU Board AS 3356-246 Rev. F  with Mains 2104-24, Graphics 0004-14 (2005).
New Full Charge 3.7v Lithium Battery.  No jumper wires on board.  All back plane male connection pins present, stiff, and straight.  All on-board jumpers, and DIP switchs set to optimum for chips & peripherals (identical to working spare MPU board).
PROBLEM:
With P10 Clear in socket 10 & Dip set #1 (Top) 7&8 up with or without game personality chips:
Machine shows blue screen with small white rectangle (not blinking) upper left corner for 10 sec then reboots.
This reboot cycle repeats for ~ five minutes then regular EPROM Clear Message.  After EPROM is configured, shutdown & restart, comes right up to set play configurations screen, games play fine. 
Every time the machine with this particular MPU is turned on after a few hours off, the same reboot cycle occurs.  After five minutes, the regular game display comes up, last session values (credits, last hand played etc.) are correct, and all games play fine.
With P10 Bally Debug Clear Chip in socket 10 & Dip set #1 (Top) 7&8 up with or without game personality chips:
SEE Attached JPG.  Cannot find any documentation for Error Codes.
Replaced and reseated all removable IC’s and personality chips on MPU board – no change - Error persists.
Put in identical MPU spare board with all the “bad” board swapped IC’s and personality chips – no Errors. 
Conclusion:
          All components in the machine, power supply, transformer, wiring, back plans, CPU, circuits, and peripherals are optimal since swapped board does not throw error.  All removable IC’s and personality chips are optimal since swapping to backup MPU does not throw error.
Supposition:
This would appear to indicate that the problem is MPU circuit board “specific”.  There are no apparent issues with power supply, chips, or video.  I cannot detect any loose components and a frost test shows no excessive heat spots.  Since warmup seems to resolve the issue, I am guessing faulty capacitor(s) on the MPU board.  If it is the capacitors, I guess I will just “retire” the board since there are quite a few capacitors on this board and I do not have enough knowledge to test microfarad output.  However, if someone has a suggestion, I am open to experiment on a solution.
Has anyone been down this road?

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: V7000 20” Upright MPU Board Exception Code - 001C
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Just throwing this out before the experts reply - try flipping switch #6 along with 7 and 8 when you do the clear.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Anntron

• Tinkerer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
Gave it a shot but no luck.
Thanks for the suggestion.
ron

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
Hang on...help is on the way.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
There is a small upright crystal on the board that gets broken also press the square PLCC chip back into it's socket.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Anntron

• Tinkerer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  Know a little about electronics so I have been systematically testing components (resistors, diodes etc) but no smoking gun yet. :rotfl:
Also, please do not "bust'em".  This is just a mystery pursuit for curiosity.  I do not like loose ends,    :Scratch-Head:  but I do not want to put anyone else out.  Just thought
someone else may have had the same issue.

ron

Offline Anntron

• Tinkerer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »
Ok.  Tried the PLCC push.  No change.
As to the crystal, if I understand you correctly, that would be component "Y2" on the board.
When you say broken do you mean "unsoldered" or actually broken inside?
ron

Offline Anntron

• Tinkerer
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
Thanks Badbaud for the suggestions.
I will unmount and check bottom of board crystal solders tomorrow.
Found three crystals.  (Y1,Y2,Y3)
Signing-off for the night.
ron

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »
It's usually Y2. Wiggle the can back and forth, if it moves then the crystal is broken inside.
I get boards in where that crystal is ripped off of the board, when I put a new one in I lay it sideways.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Anntron

• Tinkerer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 10:29:43 AM »
Just as a follow through.  At Badbaud’s suggestion, I inspected the Y2 Crystal for any wiggles or bad solders.  I could not detect anything unusual.  I do not have a bench scope so I have no means to test the output and, truth be told, something like that is a little above my paygrade.  My reading of the schematics appears to show that this oscillator interacts with the board reset IC function and this is definitely symptomatic of my problem.  I am going to order a new low profile, two-pin crystal since that is all I can find with the same specs.  If this is the source of my problem, I bow to Badbaud for isolating a single component on a circuit board with hundreds of potential issues.  :hail:
More to come......
ron

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal