New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: HELP! I have an IGT S+ 2 coin Sizzling 7 NEWBIE  (Read 4572 times)

Offline kcbimmer71

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • kcbimmer71 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
HELP! I have an IGT S+ 2 coin Sizzling 7 NEWBIE
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
OK... So I've always wanted a home slot machine, more old school style that would still drop coins.  I found one locally, cheap, all there, and powers on but nothing else.  NO Keys - so I've ordered those.  The Machine is 'open' so I have access to everything inside, it was built in 1996.  When I plug in the power, everything lights up - I can hear the bill validator making noise every few seconds, but nothing else... just all the basic fluorescent lights.. none of the LCD screens etc.  That being said, where in the heck do I start to determine what is good, not and so on.  My guess is the battery on the board needs replaced, I did pull the board and can tell the battery has been replaced at some point. 

I'm mechanically inclined but I'm just not sure where to start or what to check, look for and so on.  REALLY appreciate and feedback.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 350
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: HELP! I have an IGT S+ 2 coin Sizzling 7 NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
Pull the hopper out & inspect the harness from the mother board to the power supply. It tends to heat up & will eventually cause a loose connection. A dead battery should display a code 12.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »
I agree. Not seeing the displays lit is a good indication. Also if the reels spin freely by hand when machine is on, same thing.  Sometimes you can lift up and down on connector to the clean the contacts, but will only be temp. fix.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »
I agree also,  After that is confirmed you can move forward.  It's been years since I messed with S+ But you got a good theme to start with!.  Can't beat a old fashion sizzler --or a new one----Classics.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:17:15 PM »
Pull the hopper out & inspect the harness from the mother board to the power supply. It tends to heat up & will eventually cause a loose connection. A dead battery should display a code 12.

Here's more example photos of what the motherboard power connector looks like, notice the browned area that indicates an overheated contact. The motherboard is the small circuit board mounted horizontal on the bottom of the machine. The mpu board in mounted vertically and it plugs in to the motherboard. If you wiggle this connector while the machine is on and it starts working then you've found a problem.

-Edited for clarity about the orientation of the power supply connector - thanks Elvis! -
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:53:59 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:43:12 AM »
The first picture shows the GREEN wires on the RIGHT. That is the proper direction. The second shows the connector turned to show burn marks

the rockin elvis

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and tips.  So I cracked the machine open again, did some testing and inspections.  I've included a lot more pics as well.  I have no keys for the machine, but it was open.  I see where someone has tried to jumper the 'jackpot' key.  I have one of those on order, along with a new lock for the main door, and lock for the bills door.  A few things.  I took the board out, tested the battery, it registered 3.6V so I think it's ok.

So every time I plug the machine in, and toggle the switch inside to 'on'.  I see a quick flash on the front display, the two screens left of the 25C - both flash the number 2, for maybe a second, then all dark. 

Also, when I look at how the bill mechanism meets the door, it seems like either something is missing or is wrong... they seem to have a couple inches of space between them...?  Honestly, I don't care unless it has to work to have the machine work... We're only planning on using coins.  Too inside the cash/bill box, for the door I see contacts, with tabs for wires, but cannot locate any wires that would connect to it...?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:37:15 PM by Joeylc »

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »
Ok, your first picture shows the connector in question. Did you reseat it or check it for the burnt spot? The BV is missing the duckbill entry.

the rockin elvis

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
Forgot to mention, I do not have keys to the machine, it was open, I've since pulled the door lock and the cash box lock, and ordered new ones.  The 'jackpot key' is missing as well, and on order.  I do notice where it looks as if someone had the 2 wires to the jackpot key jumpered.  I've since removed, turned on, but the same result, everything lights up, the front display flashes a number quickly and then blank. 

I'm not sure where to start, or test to see what to do next.  I did try to put a couple quarters into the slot... nothing, and now I have a couple quarters stuck in the darn thing... So I need to figure out how to remove and clear... The coin mech inside, looks as if it has a light on it, but it's not lit, not sure if if should be or not.  The book I have on the machine is of little help. :(

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
Ok, your first picture shows the connector in question. Did you reseat it or check it for the burnt spot? The BV is missing the duckbill entry.

I did remove, check the connections inside the plug, all are clean and nicely seated.  I'm not sure what you mean by the BV is missing the duckbill entry...?

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:07:23 AM »
With machine on, can you turn the reels easily by hand? When you close the door, the latch has to push all the way down. Need to know about reels to know if they are getting power.

the rockin elvis

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
This is probably not your main problem but your photo of the coin comparitor shows that it does not have a coin installed. For the coin comparitor to work and the machine to accept coins there has to be an "example" coin installed in the coin comparitor. This example coin is called the "sample" coin. So you will need to stick a quarter in it (or a metal token or whatever coin your machine will be using). Attached is a photo showing how the coin should be installed. The round cover slides to the right so you can install the coin, then you slide the cover back to the left so that it covers as much of the coin as possible. The sliding cover has a spring attached on the back of the coin comparitor, that's to keep the cover in place over the coin. The left edge of the coin should fit into a groove on the coin holder.

In your photo below I've circled in yellow where the sample coin gets installed. Also I've circled in red an adjustment that you can turn all the way counter-clockwise (turn to the left). This adjustment is the sensitivity adjust for the comparitor, turning it all the way down will reduce nuisance coin rejections.

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips.  So I cracked the machine open again, did some testing and inspections.  I've included a lot more pics as well.  I have no keys for the machine, but it was open.  I see where someone has tried to jumper the 'jackpot' key.  I have one of those on order, along with a new lock for the main door, and lock for the bills door.  A few things.  I took the board out, tested the battery, it registered 3.6V so I think it's ok. 

You're right, a good battery will measure 3.6 volts and it can drop a little lower and still be ok. As mentioned earlier, when the battery gets too low you will get an error code 12.

About the jackpot reset switch- the 2 wires that go to the jp reset switch should normally not be connected to each other. So if they are twisted together you need to disconnect them from each other. The only time they are connected is when you turn the jackpot reset switch.

The main door lock doesn't have to be installed. As long as the door is shut and the sliding lock bar is pushed all the way down and it is latched that will let the machine operate. But having a main door lock is nice if you want to keep children (or others) from being able to get their hands in there. The security lock on the cash box door or cash compartment may have a security switch with wires. Those kind of security switches can be bypassed by twisting the wires together. That will eliminate nuisance errors.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:18:47 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
With machine on, can you turn the reels easily by hand? When you close the door, the latch has to push all the way down. Need to know about reels to know if they are getting power.

So with the power off, they spin pretty freely.  When I power the machine up, you can definitely tell they're getting power, I suspect you could force them to spin, but I can feel a sort of 'magnetic' resistance.

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
This is probably not your main problem but your photo of the coin comparitor shows that it does not have a coin installed. For the coin comparitor to work and the machine to accept coins there has to be an "example" coin installed in the coin comparitor. This example coin is called the "sample" coin. So you will need to stick a quarter in it (or a metal token or whatever coin your machine will be using). Attached is a photo showing how the coin should be installed. The round cover slides to the right so you can install the coin, then you slide the cover back to the left so that it covers as much of the coin as possible. The sliding cover has a spring attached on the back of the coin comparitor, that's to keep the cover in place over the coin. The left edge of the coin should fit into a groove on the coin holder.

In your photo below I've circled in yellow where the sample coin gets installed. Also I've circled in red an adjustment that you can turn all the way counter-clockwise (turn to the left). This adjustment is the sensitivity adjust for the comparitor, turning it all the way down will reduce nuisance coin rejections.

You're right, a good battery will measure 3.6 volts and it can drop a little lower and still be ok. As mentioned earlier, when the battery gets too low you will get an error code 12.

About the jackpot reset switch- the 2 wires that go to the jp reset switch should normally not be connected to each other. So if they are twisted together you need to disconnect them from each other. The only time they are connected is when you turn the jackpot reset switch.

The main door lock doesn't have to be installed. As long as the door is shut and the sliding lock bar is pushed all the way down and it is latched that will let the machine operate. But having a main door lock is nice if you want to keep children (or others) from being able to get their hands in there. The security lock on the cash box door or cash compartment may have a security switch with wires. Those kind of security switches can be bypassed by twisting the wires together. That will eliminate nuisance errors.

OK, so I've got the coin in its place... so now the coins that were stuck are clear, when I try to put a quarter in, it just drops through into the jackpot tub.  I also unhooked the jumper to the jackpot switch.  But still no luck with the machine firing up.  I do have power to the reels as I can feel resistance in them when power is on the machine.  As for the front display, I get a quick flash of numbers as soon as I power on the machine but that's it.  No lit display or number/codes.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »
Do you have another machine that you can borrow parts from to install into this machine to figure out what is bad? The reels having resistance to being turned indicates they are getting power, which means the power supply is working. Are there any fuses in the machine that need to be checked?

Unless there is a cable or something disconnected you may be at the point of trying a different mpu board. But others here are more familiar, so let's see what ideas they suggest.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:12:43 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
Mounted below the coin comparitor there is a green circuit board, actually there are 2 of them, one is mounted behind the other. These are the "coin optics" boards. On a working machine after the coin comparitor accepts a coin it will drop in between these coin optics boards and they will signal the mpu board to add a credit for playing. Then the coin will slide into the hopper. If the coin is rejected by the coin comparitor it gets returned to the coin tray on front of machine.

If you look on the left side of the coin optic board there should be a small switch or pushbutton. That switch will let you put credits on the machine for testing purposes. Press the switch and see if it does add a credit. If you don't see the switch post a good photo of the board below the coin comparitor. This switch is called the "pseudo coin" switch. Any test credits it adds will get removed once you shut the main door, so it is just for testing purposes.

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
check the volts on the battery if its dead dead it will not show code 12

Tested, showing 3.6V

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
... I'm not sure what you mean by the BV is missing the duckbill entry...?

Your bill validator is a DBV-200 model. It was made by a company called JCM and used on a wide variety of slot machines. To make inserting a bill easier the bill validator will usually have a front bezel attached, this guides the bill into the slot on the front of the bill validator. You've probably seen these guides on a soda machine or other machines that accept paper money or slot tickets.

Below are a few examples of the bezels, some are called "duckbill" because of their appearance. From looking at your photo of the bill validator back in reply#6 it appears that your bezel has been broken off and the lower part of it is still attached to the DBV-200 head.

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
Mounted below the coin comparitor there is a green circuit board, actually there are 2 of them, one is mounted behind the other. These are the "coin optics" boards. On a working machine after the coin comparitor accepts a coin it will drop in between these coin optics boards and they will signal the mpu board to add a credit for playing. Then the coin will slide into the hopper. If the coin is rejected by the coin comparitor it gets returned to the coin tray on front of machine.

If you look on the left side of the coin optic board there should be a small switch or pushbutton. That switch will let you put credits on the machine for testing purposes. Press the switch and see if it does add a credit. If you don't see the switch post a good photo of the board below the coin comparitor. This switch is called the "pseudo coin" switch. Any test credits it adds will get removed once you shut the main door, so it is just for testing purposes.

I found the button, attached PIC, pressed numerous times, but nothing on front display (fake coins).  I'm just wondering if the light on the coin comparator is supposed to be lit?  There is no light on it (attached pic). 

Offline kcbimmer71

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »

Here's a couple pics of the plug, seems in great shape, no discoloration or loose wires within the connector.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal