New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Blank Eproms  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Denny

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Denny New User barely matters.Denny New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • www.designhse.wix.com/designhouse
Blank Eproms
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
Hi,
Went to buy some blank eproms and wanted to get some M27C020 and some M27C040 but they all had numbers like -90DI or -120Di or -150DI or -95DC or -120DC  behind them like  (M27C040-150DI ?? )  which ones do I need for my Bally and IGT machines ?? :Scratch-Head:
Denny
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:48:46 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Blank Eproms
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
Hi,
Went to buy some blank eproms and wanted to get some M27C020 and some M27C040 but they all had numbers like -90DI or -120Di or -150DI or -95DC or -120DC  behind them like  (M27C040-150DI ?? )  which ones do I need for my Bally and IGT machines ?? :Scratch-Head:
Denny

Those numbers & letters are called suffixes and they mainly refer to the speed spec on the chip, plus other things like operational temperature limits, type of chip enclosure (plastic or ceramic), etc. The temp limits are not a problem for stuff in home use as it isn't going to get extremely cold or hot. But the speed rating is important since your MPU board runs at a certain speed (frequency) and it needs chips that are that fast or faster. The speed rating refers to how fast the eprom responds when the cpu requests data and that speed is expressed in nanoseconds, so a -90 is a 90nsec chip, a -120 is a 120nsec chip. The lower the number after the "-" dash the faster the chip is, since time is the inverse of operating frequency. So a -90 is a faster chip than a -120. The cpu chip on your MPU board runs at a certain speed determined by its master clock signal and needs all the chips connected to it to be as fast or faster. If you buy eproms that are capable of running faster it doesn't hurt anything, they are still going to be run at the speed of your MPU board when you install them. It's like putting Indy race tires on a Ford Taurus, the tires are capable of more but the Taurus will still only run them at a normal car speed. 

Sorry I'm not familiar with your particular machine but maybe you can look at your old eproms to see what the speed rating on them is. Or others here that are familiar with your particular machine can likely tell you. If the cost is about the same I'd get the -90 or -100 eproms, it is very likely they would be fast enough.

The speed rating on the eprom is its max speed, it can be run at a slower speed, so installing eproms that are rated faster than needed does not speed up your machine, they will still run at whatever the MPU board speed is since they are connected to the same master clock signal the cpu chip is.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:39:02 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
You need 120 or better (the lower then number the better, so -90 -100 etc)
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Denny

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »
Hey, Thanks you guys...So do I need the 90 DI  or the 95  DC ??

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:06:08 PM »
The letters after the number are not important for slot applications.  You can buy either one.  I would buy the fastest I can get my hands on.  I typically buy 90's for my needs, but when I can't find any, 120's have worked in all my slots (S2000's, S+, Bally Alpha, WMS 55x, WMS BB1).
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:32 PM »
Hey, Thanks you guys...So do I need the 90 DI  or the 95  DC ??

The letter suffix is not important for most home uses but for clarification here is what it means:

DI= ceramic body chip with 32 pins, Industrial temp spec of -40 deg C to +85 deg C  (-40 F to +185 F)
DC= ceramic body chip with 32 pins, Commercial temp spec of 0 deg C to +70 deg C (+32 F to +158 F)

So the "DI" chips have a wider temp range spec.

The -95 eprom is the same speed as a -90, it is just a special version of the eprom that requires the 5v that powers it to be regulated within 5% instead of the normal 10% that the -90 chips work with.

So I'd go with the -90DI since it has better specs. But honestly you could most likely use either one.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:47:08 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Denny

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
Thanks for the information and the explanation !  That sure answers my questions, it sure is nice to have this kind of help !!  :hail:  Thanks again.       Denny

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal