New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Reef Tank  (Read 14711 times)

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
Re: Reef Tank
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Awww...thank you for the pics and the update...Just be satfisfied. A "90% healthy, thriving" tank is better than "No" tank....Trust me...I'm delving into chickens now, as if I can't have crestures inside, I will have creatures outside, lol!

Love the pics, keep them coming!
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
You cannot add another clown of any type.  If yours have paired up, they will kill it.  Get a banded coral shrimp, they are cool and don't bother anything else, other than their own species.  Plus they are good scavangers.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Lizzo54

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Lizzo54 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 06:12:57 AM »
What type of chickens are you looking at getting?  And what is their purpose, egg laying or just a hobby?   

One aspect of my job is permitting and inspecting the livestock within the community i work for.  So please ask if you need any advice.   We have roughly two dozen residential chicken permits, plus the larger farms and stables.  Most backyard farms, which is a growing trend in my region have around 3-4 chickens.  Bantam hens are one of the more popular, good egg layers, smaller chicken and easy to care for. 

If you're looking for something interesting the easter egg laying chickens are nice.  They have the blue and green colored eggs. 
Whatever the case its best to get them at the same time.  Chickens will peck at and even kill others that don't look similar to themselves.  So getting different species together at the same time helps to avoid that. 

Are you building the coop or buying a premade one?

It is a great hobby especially if you have young kids.

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 06:24:42 AM »
Here is a all black chicken.

http://ifunny.co/fun/cARo8rvk2
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline Lizzo54

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 06:26:30 AM »
Rick i meant to add a response to my previous post with the chickens.  Yes banded shrimp are nice and I've seen some small ones at my LFS so maybe ill give that a try. 
As far as the clowns, yes I've read about them fighting others.  How are they in that large group tank you have?  Does the schooling suppress the hostility?

Do they eventually pair up while in large groups or do you have to seperate them in a smaller tank as a couple?  It be nice if my pair would reproduce but anything that occurred would probably go into the filter.   

I love checking the tank out in the middle of the night,  all types of stuff comes out of the rocks.  Ill try to catch a pic of the clowns resting together.  They sit side by side in the xyneia at night.  Its funny to see their face sticking out pressed cheek to cheek. 

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
All these clowns grew up together so they are used to each other.  However, you can setup a harem clownfish tank where you put a group together of at least 6.  The two dominant ones will pair up and the rest will just hang around as immature males to replace one of the two that are mated if something should happen to one.  Typically if the male dies, the next dominant fish will sexually mature and pair up.  If the female dies the male becomes the new female and the next dominant immature male will mature and pair up.  In my setups I have found that groups of at least 6 will not result in deaths, but going under that you may have a problem. You really need something bigger than a cube though, something around 4 feet long as the mated pair will protect their area, which is about 8 cubic feet or thereabouts. Too many fish and then you will get water quality issues.  My growout tanks required a lot of filtration and frequent water changes to maintain water quality with all the clowns.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 11:12:41 AM »
Here is a all black chicken.

http://ifunny.co/fun/cARo8rvk2

OMG!!! Looks like it was dipped in black paint! I wonder color eggs the hens lay?!?

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »
What type of chickens are you looking at getting?  And what is their purpose, egg laying or just a hobby?   

One aspect of my job is permitting and inspecting the livestock within the community i work for.  So please ask if you need any advice.   We have roughly two dozen residential chicken permits, plus the larger farms and stables.  Most backyard farms, which is a growing trend in my region have around 3-4 chickens.  Bantam hens are one of the more popular, good egg layers, smaller chicken and easy to care for. 

If you're looking for something interesting the easter egg laying chickens are nice.  They have the blue and green colored eggs. 
Whatever the case its best to get them at the same time.  Chickens will peck at and even kill others that don't look similar to themselves.  So getting different species together at the same time helps to avoid that. 

Are you building the coop or buying a premade one?

It is a great hobby especially if you have young kids.

I'm just getting a few for eggs. I've wanted them for awhile, then 1st of the year, a new law went into effect in CA requiring laying hens to have almost double the space, so our egg prices skyrocketed!

There is an excellent local source of young Leghorn x Rhode Island Red hens that are just starting to lay, so that is what we are going with. I want the largest, most plentiful eggs I can get, so I opted for more of a production layer versus a novelty breed.

We are building the coop ourselves. The pre-fab coop kits were so cheaply made, i couldnt bring myself to spend the $$$ on something i knew was "disposable". Didnt really know if we would be married by the time it was built, but so far so good!  :rotfl: I drew up the plans for it, and im doing the measuring and some of the cutting, so any screw ups are pretty much on me!

Here's a pic of the frame. Going to paint it today and start hanging the wire. Then build the hen house and nest boxes. I found the 2x2s on CL for 50cents each (compared to $7.84 at Home Depot), so that was a huge savings...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:04:20 PM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me the variety of talents and interest of our members here.  Who would have thought about chickens?  Honestly Roz, I thought you were just kidding about the chickens :propeller: :propeller: :propeller:

Offline Lizzo54

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 06:52:18 PM »
The coop is looking good.please post more pics as you progress.  Be sure to use a heavier gauge fencing on the underside of the nesting house.  Chicken wire wont keep the predators out.  Racoons can rip thru it and will help themselves to a good feast.  Also be certain that your access doors for cleaning, egg harvestring etc are storng and secured.  Ive seen cases where racoons have essentially clawed chieckens to death by getting tehir hands inside small voids and grabbing and pulling thru what ever they can. 

You obvously want to install a some what complicated lock on the doors to keep the, from being opened.  I know some of this is common sense but youd be surprised what some folks dont think of. 

Are you allowed to let you chickens roam your property or do they to be caged all the time?  They can do wonders for tick control, just need to be warry of birds of prey.
If your an outdoor person and spend a lot of time in the yard, and you let them roam around with you, they will grow a mothering type attachemnt and stay in your vacinity.  It sounds odd but ive seen it in many cases thru work. 

I like the Rhode Island reds, they are a good looking chicken.  Im not so much a fan of leghorns. 

Offline Lizzo54

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
Rick,
What do you feed your clowns?  I image with that many you probably have a tank growing out brine shrimp. 

I use frozen mysis shrimp and brine. I mix a little of both in, i have some pellets and add them from time to time and occasionally some plant wafers for the crabs to munch on.

For the corals i really only dose alk and calc regularly and maybe once a week dose the tank with a liquid coral feed.

For water changes i actually been using the boxed seawater from petco.  Since my tank is so small my water changes is only a few gallons a time so its not a bad investment and much easier.  I have redsea salt on hand if needed and RO water for topping off.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 08:42:25 PM »
I feed them a variety of pellet foods every day.  New Life Spectrum pellets, Ocean Nutrition pellets, and TDO Chroma Boost.  In the evenings they get Frozen Mysid shrimp mixed up with arctic pods, sometimes frozen brine shrimp, and some krill.

The arctic pods are an amazing food for reef environments, rich in certain types of fatty acids and astaxanthin, which brings out the orange and red in the clowns.   Highly recommend putting some of that in your reef tank as a food source for filter feeders.

With water changes, I am hesitant to go to the beach and grab some water to use natural sea water.   I know of a lot of hobbyist that do that locally here, they go when the tide comes in and harvest some seawater. I'm afraid of introducing pathogens to my grow out tanks and have all my clowns get sick and die.  I would have no issues with that water on a reef tank, but my clowns have been raised in a pretty much sterile environment free from any pathogens, so I think they would be particularly susceptible to that.  I know I've given some of my clowns to a few friends and most of the time, they do well.  But I have some friends who like to buy a lot of fish, and they don't quarantine their new purchases and bring all kinds of pathogens into their systems.  They continually loose fish, and they wonder why, even after I tell them not to do put new fish without quarantine for at least 6 weeks.

Offline Lizzo54

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 09:14:40 PM »
The pellets i have are New Life Spectrum.  I haven't heard of Artic  Pods so thanks for info.  I just googled them and see they are very popular.  Ill see if i can get some this week and let you know how it goes.  I also read about tiger pods, have you tried them?  Seems that you can hatch them out, wouldn't mind trying something live. 

The seawater i use is from Petco and is apparently filtered and balanced.  Its not water i get from the ocean myself.  I have too much invested in coral to take a chance of adding a contaminate.

I agree 100% with quarantining to avoid bringing disease and parasites to a tank.   I value my fish and want them suceed.  Im not a fan of trial and error with them.  I have a large fish store nearby that has an amazing selection however, they sell anything to anyone.  Without questioning whether they can properly raise and care for them.  I avoid the place unless i absolutely have to go there for something specific.
Ive been buying my coral frags from a couple diff folks i found on CL.  Much cheaper than a store. 

I use a large glass bowl and set any new corals in it to look for hitchhickers.  I found some really beneficial and interesting stuff and some bad ones.  Ive found a few tiny brittle stars which i love, however i haven't been able to find anyone selling them though, just the larger ones. 
I also found a few sea spiders which looked cool but not good for a reef so they got tossed. 

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 09:21:45 PM »
The coop is looking good.please post more pics as you progress.  Be sure to use a heavier gauge fencing on the underside of the nesting house.  Chicken wire wont keep the predators out.  Racoons can rip thru it and will help themselves to a good feast.  Also be certain that your access doors for cleaning, egg harvestring etc are storng and secured.  Ive seen cases where racoons have essentially clawed chieckens to death by getting tehir hands inside small voids and grabbing and pulling thru what ever they can. 

You obvously want to install a some what complicated lock on the doors to keep the, from being opened.  I know some of this is common sense but youd be surprised what some folks dont think of. 

Are you allowed to let you chickens roam your property or do they to be caged all the time?  They can do wonders for tick control, just need to be warry of birds of prey.
If your an outdoor person and spend a lot of time in the yard, and you let them roam around with you, they will grow a mothering type attachemnt and stay in your vacinity.  It sounds odd but ive seen it in many cases thru work. 

I like the Rhode Island reds, they are a good looking chicken.  Im not so much a fan of leghorns.

I agree, LEghorns are not exactly a friendly bird..,very loud and flighty, not exactly your ideal backyard chicken...the Cross hens we've seen have been very calm, quiet, and peaceful. We can only hope they grow out the same, lol! We'll se I guess, or there will be a chicken fry...and I'm not really kidding there...

We have 3/4 acre, but because of the uppity yuppy area, free range, or even roaming chickens would be frowned upon, do unfortunately, these will be caged for the time being. To tell you the honet truth, I have 3 phobias in life, and it's chickens, balloons, and bees.... :rotfl: I'm hoping to face my fears, and get over it, but for now p, that coop will be licked like Fort Know!!!! I have a small access door drawn in the plans for feed and water, and another for egg gathering and best box clean-outs...if I have to open the big door and actually walk in, I'm pretty sure they will smell my fear and peck my eyes out in a matter of seconds...

So if I don't post for a few days, or fill your order in a timely manner, you pretty much know what happened to me.... :rotfl:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »
I don't like to feed live foods, it tends to spoil the fish.  When I get a wild caught fish, during quarantine, he must get used to pellets and frozen foods, otherwise he doesn't make it to the display tank.  Live brine is another potential source of pathogens, so I try to stay away from it, plus they are not really nutritious at all.

Arctic pods are awesome.  When the clowns were really small, they would eat it up like there's no tomorrow.  It was by far their favorite food. The problem with them is that they are soo small, that is why I need to mix them up with mysid.  I typically thaw them out together and re-freeze, then drop the little chunks into the tank, so the fish will eat the pods as well.

I get my frags from other reefers, I trade clownfish for them  :propeller: :propeller: :propeller:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal