New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Cal Omega CEI Double Up Poker 1982 Troubleshooting - Need Help!  (Read 57534 times)

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • RPMcKenna1976 New User has no influence.
  • Cup Half Full...
Re: Cal Omega CEI Double Up Poker 1982 Troubleshooting - Need Help!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
You said that your display was rolling from side to side, like the horiz hold or sync isn't working. In spite of that, can you push the buttons and get it to deal cards, does it accept coins and give credits? If so that means it is booting and running, just has a display problem.
That or the graphics chips. It it coins up and you get the sounds of the deal ... chances are the graphics chips are where you want to start. Your getting the raster on the monitor and I am thinking the RGB is there as well. I dont feel you should adjust the guns on the neck. Get a signal to the monitor and then think about those adjustments. Is your monitor a G07?
[size=78%]Dave F[/size]

Thanks for the advice, but no boot, no sound, nothing audible when using the coin-op. I am pretty certain that SolidSilver has confirmed what I suspected from the get go. Missing EPROM #1, and as SolidSilver pointed out, it is not the correct version for the machine either not to say an older complete set would not work.

I sent him (SolidSilver) a pm to see how much it may cost to get his valid EPROM's burned into new EPROM's for me. If it is financially too expensive or too much hassle I will likely pass, especially with there being no guarantee of it getting the machine up and running. I may have to consider it as a parts machine or list it for sale as is and present the information that we have come up with here as reference for the potential buyer. May convert it into a MAME machine with an old dell laptop that I have here and run the original game.

Without having a valid set of EPROM's, the project is on hold.

For the time being, I put the machine back together and am awaiting a reply.
With a cup half full, there's always room for more.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
What type eproms does it use, can you read the ic manufacturer's part number on the back of one, like a 2716 or 2732 or similar?

This guy sells a lot of eproms for a fair price, he even has older ones, but you may have to buy more than you need, so ebay might be a better source. But this will give an idea on cost for the eprom itself. Whoever makes the eproms for you can probably take care of getting the blank chips.

http://www.epromman.com/

What might be real handy would be to send your mpu board to someone that has a working Cal-Omega machine and see if it works ok.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 05:52:21 PM »
As you get the manual and eprom software chips straightened out I'd make sure about all the power supply voltages. That is a basic thing that has to be right. If you don't have a meter they are available for less than $10 from places like Lowe's, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc. They are fairly easy to use and can help you to eliminate things to wonder about if they are working. When you check the voltages write down what they measure so you can tell the experts here and get advice if they are incorrect.

The fluorescent lights in the machine simply run off the 115 vac that comes in from the line cord and they usually don't require much to repair, just a lamp, starter and ballast. If a machine's fluorescent lights come on that still doesn't mean the power supply is ok because those lamps don't use the lower voltages from the power supply. Things like the circuit boards and pushbutton lamps use the voltages created by the power supply. That information should be in the manual you are getting.

The person where you bought the machine, might they be helpful on parts such as the eprom software or other items? They may have other Cal-Omega machines that they are scrapping out or taking parts out of.

I have a couple good multimeter here that I have been testing with but am awaiting the manual for proper reference. The person that I purchased the machine from does not normally deal with anything solid state and does not have access to any other parts, he primarily works on old school pinballs. Only one of the 50w florescent bulbs work. I tested the other ballast's and they work as well. Have not tested the power output with the multi yet.

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 08:54:52 PM »
What might be real handy would be to send your mpu board to someone that has a working Cal-Omega machine and see if it works ok.

If I had the option to do this locally at low to no charge, it would be an excellent option and suggestion. I am hard pressed to spend a bunch of money I do not have for a maybe.

I am considering, not for sure, but maybe trying to erase and re-flash the four eproms that I have here on a diy breadboard system that would need to be configured with a pc. Hummm  :Scratch-Head: ... I have a couple things for alternative but would prefer the original dedicated system if at all possible.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
Dormi is the person here that really knows the CEI machines. He repairs the boards, and possiblie could help with software, but I'm not 100% sure if he can. You could try send him a PM stating you have a board to check and that its possiblie missing software. It's worth a shot..

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »
Rick, I emailed you the 903 schematic & block diagram.
Your eproms are likely either 2516 or 2532; mine are the latter.
Either chip is dirt cheap on eBay, new and used. Anywhere from $2 to $5 each.

There's gotta be someone on NLG who can dupe these eproms; hello out there?

Offline The Fatman

• Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »
SolidSilver .... hope I am not intruding but I have been looking for info on a 904 board. It has the chipset for just the Jacks or better poker. I dont have sound and no paperwork. I need to check my 12 volts if I remember right that is what drives the audio. Is there any chance you have info on that board and any other paperwork associated with it? Also how easy is it to update it to a double up game?
Thanks for your time and efforts.
Dave F
The Fatman
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 05:52:36 PM »

Jim or anyone else!
I have a couple different version 906 turbo boards. They both work in my CEI that uses the 904 normally. But the basic poker games DO WORK on my machine, although the buttons don't match the screen on some. That's fixable in a way by just changing the stickers on the buttons. 
Do you thing this would work in RPM's machine? It should I think.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:44:49 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline The Fatman

• The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
I am not educated on these machines at all. This is my first and only cntact I have had since I played them when I drove a tractor trailer in the south back in the mid 1980's
I think he said he has a 903 board. I dont know if the pinout is the same for the 904. If you feel that the turbo board you have will plug and play in a 904 cabinet, I could be interested in it. I also would like to get the sound to work in mine. I guess I will just poke around and check the PS and speaker before I do anything else.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 06:29:31 PM »
Fatman, the 903 and 904 boards are identical; the only difference is that the 903 had a small game history memory chip, and the 904 has pads for a small piggyback board carrying a much larger memory chip. This expanded memory was a requirement for Nevada gaming machines. The circuit and physical pinout are the same, and they are interchangeable. PM me, and I'll email you a schematic of the 904. I have no docs on the backplane, which is where the fairly simple power supply circuit is located; it's not difficult to trace power on it.

906 board might work, enough to tell you if your problem is on the main game board or not; but it will probably not work correctly: the wiring to the pushbuttons will be different.

Similarly, upgrading to the DoubleUp feature depends on your machine: if you have the older 10-button unit running a 903 or 904 board,
you can't: DoubleUp feature requires an additional row of buttons. If you have a 15-button machine, easy-Peasy; or if you have a much later machine built for 906 or 906 Turbo board, DoubleUp will run with the 10-button panel.

Pics of the machine, and interior, (does it have a payout hopper?) and boards, would help us identify what you have, and perhaps provide more help.

Offline The Fatman

• NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 06:45:24 PM »
Model # in CEI CO1cr and it does have a payout hopper, unlike the double ups in the truck stops in SC.
I will send you a PM with my contact info and than you so very much for the help.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »

Greatly appreciated! I have been busy with other things for the past couple of days but I have briefly reviewed the schematics. I'll post an update over the next few days if I have made any further progress.

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
And in the meantime, I'm going through my old dusty drawers, and those of some friends, looking for other CalOmega chips.
Might be a week or so, but we'll see. If successful, I cannot believe a full chip set, even if we need to buy new blanks, would cost
you more than $50.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:51:30 PM by SolidSilver »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 05:23:01 PM »
Jim would my game chips from my 904 work? I have a chip burner...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:45:36 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
Shorty, the answer is absolutely, positively.....maybe  :Scratch-Head:

It may be that a complete set of virtually any early software would bring the machine to life, enough to tell him what else, if, needs fixing; but it would not likely operate properly on his physical unit. I'd really like to get him software that would actually work in his machine.

He has an arcade machine with the 12-button panel; it requires arcade DoubleUp draw poker software to work properly.
I'm not all that familiar with the early arcade machines and, comparing his machine manufactured date with the gaming software I'm familiar with, it would seem his machine originally had a DoubleUp capability earlier than the gaming version.

I'm working on it with another friendly NLG'er, but let me ask you: can you burn...
     1. Those old 2532 chips, which require special burn voltages?
     2. From a software file, as opposed to copying a chip set?

If the answer to both is YES, there may be 2 NLG'ers  I can involve.

And as our numbers grow, we will rule the world!  >:D   Bwaaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

(Oops, gotta back off on that Porto...)

Offline The Fatman

• NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2015, 06:22:00 AM »
The blue upright Omega Double Up machines, I saw mostly in truck stops across the south. The operator was able to clear credits and pay off the winner.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 12:31:23 PM »
Jim would my game chips from my 904 work? I have a chip burner...

Shortstackskater,

Do you happen to know the eprom revision?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
Is there a difference in the game chips from the smaller up right casino machines and the larger arcade style cabinets? I have the smaller game size. It has a 904 board. I don't remember what the EPROM stickers said? It's out in the garage waiting for repairs. It has a monitor chassis problem. My screens all washed out, but I card see the cards. The board must have a problem because my middle button won't hold the card. It was like that in a different cabinet I use to have too, no middle button.   
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »
Two things determine which chipsets will work in which machines.

1. the Game Board. Virtually all the old machines use 903/904. A very few, like Keno machines, use the rare 905 board.

2. The machine's button layout. The standard poker layout is 10 buttons. Double-Up machines,  have 12 (arcade) or 14 (gaming)buttons, as Double-Up requires 4 special buttons: Take, Double, High, Low. But then, there are some with 15 or 8..... :Scratch-Head:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:01:38 PM by SolidSilver »

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
Well, DANG!!!  I just saw a screenshot on a website that has nothing to do with us NLG'ers.
It's an alleged screenshot of the 7.6 game arcade game, showing the DoubleUp option!!!
Pic attached.

RPM, you may just be in luck, and I may just be able to add some serious new info about CalOmega software.

Working on a way now  to get you a complete set of clean 7.6 eproms.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal