New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Cal Omega CEI Double Up Poker 1982 Troubleshooting - Need Help!  (Read 57558 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Cal Omega CEI Double Up Poker 1982 Troubleshooting - Need Help!
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »
yes, from reading thru other threads I believe the power supply voltages are measured on the motherboard (backplane) board but can also be done on the mpu. I'll see if I can find some info on where to measure them, in the mean time maybe someone that knows already will chime in with the info.

I'm posting your motherboard photo again here to make it easier for anyone to help point out where to measure the power supply voltages.

EDIT- I found a schematic drawing for a Cal Omega motherboard but it doesn't match yours exactly. It is for the 911 motherboard, which I think is not the same as yours. Which motherboard do you have?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:24:45 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • RPMcKenna1976 New User has no influence.
  • Cup Half Full...
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »
yes, I believe the power supply voltages are best measured on the motherboard (backplane) board. I'll see if I can find some info on where to measure them, in the mean time maybe someone that knows already will chime in with the info.

I'm posting your motherboard photo again here to make it easier for anyone to help point out where to measure the power supply voltages.

EDIT-

The 5 volts dc can be measure across the capacitor C4, the big black body capacitor mounted vertically. The lower end is ground connection. This is a good ground to use for measuring the other DC voltages but for AC voltages you will need to use the AC common. The +5 vdc is used to power most of the ic's.

I tested the ac voltages by grounding to the power cable ground and placed the positive to each fuse with different measurements, I did not write the measurements, butt can do it again if required/requested. Also tested the ac output for the fan, crt and lights with 120vac-130vac.

I have a 908 Motherboard.

Here's some additional backplain/motherboard photos:
With a cup half full, there's always room for more.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
I saw "908" written on your motherboard in one of your photos. Maybe someone has the wiring drawing for it. The 911 motherboard schematic I have has some similarities but the differences make it harder to know where to measure the essential voltages.

Below are your photos with my notes showing where I think you can measure voltages. Not sure on this, let me know what you get. Be careful about letting the meter probe slip and shorting out something. And remember there is 115vac on that motherboard, watch where you put your hands.

I'll be adding to this post if I figure anything else out that I'm at least somewhat ok with saying.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:24:58 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
By the looks of the corrosion on the transformer and other parts, machine could have been in an ocean / beach setting. I would definitely at least look at the large connector from the transformer to make sure the pins in the connector dont have a similar corrosion on them and they will meet the pins from the board well. Most of the time i have the opinion of " when in doubt, remove the connector pins and stretch them out so they will make contact and visually look good , then re-install" That way you know they are good and not iffy.

Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
By the looks of the corrosion on the transformer and other parts, machine could have been in an ocean / beach setting. I would definitely at least look at the large connector from the transformer to make sure the pins in the connector dont have a similar corrosion on them and they will meet the pins from the board well. Most of the time i have the opinion of " when in doubt, remove the connector pins and stretch them out so they will make contact and visually look good , then re-install" That way you know they are good and not iffy.

Dave F

Agreed, the contacts inside any of the plastic connector housings could be tarnished, corroded or oxidized. Something to check on for sure.

When I first read your comment I thought you said "from the looks of the transformer the machine could have been in the ocean....".

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »

Dave F

I pulled every connector and re-seated a couple of times. You are absolutely correct about the ocean setting, I live in Nova Scotia Canada, an East Coast Province with the Atlantic Ocean all around us.

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
When I first read your comment I thought you said "from the looks of the transformer the machine could have been in the ocean....".

:I_agree_1:

My mind processed it the same way when I first read it lol

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »

I once had a Bally EM slot from Atlantic City NJ that would have probably been in better shape if it was in the ocean.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
I once had a Bally EM slot from Atlantic City NJ that would have probably been in better shape if it was in the ocean.
Dave F

So that's what they mean when they say "sleeping with the fishes". 

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2015, 06:45:09 PM »
I saw "908" written on your motherboard in one of your photos. Maybe someone has the wiring drawing for it. The 911 motherboard schematic I have has some similarities but the differences make it harder to know where to measure the essential voltages.

Below are your photos with my notes showing where I think you can measure voltages. Not sure on this, let me know what you get. Be careful about letting the meter probe slip and shorting out something. And remember there is 115vac on that motherboard, watch where you put your hands.

I'll be adding to this post if I figure anything else out that I'm at least somewhat ok with saying.

C5 Capacitor = 13.7vdc
Regulator to C5 ground = 0 (no reading, double checked)
C4 Capacitor = 17.75vdc
VR1 (above C3) = 12.06vdc

I had a very difficult time manoeuvring to test C3 so I grounded to C5 and tested directly to the regulator VR1.

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
I am thinking the next step is to pull the 908 Motherboard/Backplain and check the traces.

Something's not adding up here.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2015, 07:21:47 PM »

C5 Capacitor = 13.7vdc
C4 Capacitor = 17.75vdc

I had a very difficult time manoeuvring to test C3 so I grounded to C5 and tested directly to the regulator VR1.

All of these are somewhat close enough to what I expected since I was just taking a wild shot at it, except for the 5vdc regulator (the second measurement listed). It could be that my guess about putting the red meter lead on the metal housing of the regulator would let you measure its output, I may be wrong about that. So we need to find another way to measure the +5 vdc to make sure if it is good or bad. Are you able to get to the mpu board when it is plugged in and power is on?

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »

C5 Capacitor = 13.7vdc
C4 Capacitor = 17.75vdc

All of these are somewhat close enough to what I expected since I was just taking a wild shot at it, except for the 5vdc regulator (the second measurement listed). It could be that my guess about putting the red meter lead on the metal housing of the regulator would let you measure its output, I may be wrong about that. So we need to find another way to measure the +5 vdc to make sure if it is good or bad. Are you able to get to the mpu board when it is plugged in and power is on?

It is VERY tight to access anything on the mpu when it it plugged in, but I am willing to try what you suggest. I can usually find a work around if I am unable to get my hands in there.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2015, 07:31:22 PM »
See if this works. Each eprom has a thin green wafer capacitor near the head of the eprom (end with the notch). This green cap is connected to 5vdc and ground. If you can reach any of these caps with your meter you can check if the 5 vdc is ok or not.

There may be another way to test the 5 vdc, I'll see if anything comes up.

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
See if this works. Each eprom has a thin green wafer capacitor near the head of the eprom (end with the notch). This green cap is connected to 5vdc and ground. If you can reach any of these caps with your meter you can check if the 5 vdc is ok or not.

There may be another way to test the 5 vdc, I'll see if anything comes up.

5vdc measured across all four caps. Promising I would assume!

BTW, thank you for your help! This is turning into an eventful evening.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
That is good news about the 5vdc. I guess where I first had you check in the photo on top of the regulator it is not like the ones I've seen.

Anyway I'm going to make a list of the measurements you made and see what else needs to be checked. One thing I noticed on this drawing I have is that there is also a 15 volt AC voltage that goes to the mpu board. So we need to figure out where than comes from and make sure it is ok.

I don't want to string you along on a false feeling, I've never seen or worked on one of these machines so am definitely flying blind and not the best source for advice.

On your mpu board there will be a part marked "CR60" (hopefully) and it will be near 4 or 5 diodes and an ic marked "LM311". I think that is where the 15 volts AC gets connected. I looked back but didn't see a good clear photo of your mpu board, if you can post one that will help.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2015, 08:11:06 PM »

I was rereading all the previous posts in this thread to see if something triggered a thought or idea. I saw where SolidSilver sent you some documents, manuals, drawings on your machine. Can you forward all of that to me, I will PM you my email address or you can see it by clicking on my info to the left of any of my comments. Thanks.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
I am thinking the next step is to pull the 908 Motherboard/Backplain and check the traces.

That's not a bad idea, a good visual might find something wrong, and actually it would be good to take a close look at all the boards and other assemblies you can reasonably get to.

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »

I was rereading all the previous posts in this thread to see if something triggered a thought or idea. I saw where SolidSilver sent you some documents, manuals, drawings on your machine. Can you forward all of that to me, I will PM you my email address or you can see it by clicking on my info to the left of any of my comments. Thanks.

Email was just sent with doc's.

Just noticed cap C52 has some burn on it. Visible in the 3rd photo down. Could not/did not see this prior to taking the photos with the flash on.

C60 is visible in the first photo. It will be very difficult to test this connection with the mpu plugged in unless i make a lead from it to my multi.

Additional photos below:

Offline RPMcKenna1976

• Cup Half Full...
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »

That's not a bad idea, a good visual might find something wrong, and actually it would be good to take a close look at all the boards and other assemblies you can reasonably get to.

Pulling the motherboard is the most difficult component. If all the voltages are in check, I would rather leave it in place, but I will pull if I have to, not a big deal.

I am considering swapping cap C52 below the empty eprom with cap C45 located above the empty eprom U5/1800.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal