New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 945-3 Coin accepted light and payout problems  (Read 10379 times)

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally 945-3 Coin accepted light and payout problems
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
Great, you fixed the major problem.
Regarding the payouts, the extra coin could have been stuck in the chute from a previous payout.
This area between the pivot roller and where the coin exits the machine builds up with oil and dirt preventing the last coin to drop.
The payout of $1.00 on 5 coins might be the odds step up unit. Do the lights move across the upper glass as coins are added?

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
Went I went out today to run some payouts I started having problems with the contact arching real bad (there are flashes of blue as the contacts scatter).  I actually had a little ball of fire once. If I let the relay pull in on it's own I get a lot of scatter and blue arcs, but if I use my finger and apply a little pressure the scattering and arcs go away. 

Pic 1: is the gap too wide on relay?   

Relay also seems hard to push in by hand compared to other relays.

How wide of a gap should there be between the open contacts??

thanks
Bob

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
Might be the wrong return spring for the armature.
Here is what you can do, remove the spring and check to see if the armature moves freely.
Temporally replace the spring with a rubber band. Tie a knot in the rubber band a little off center.
Install the rubber band to where it has just enough power to pull the relay armature back.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
takiing the spring off doesn't help.  WShould the metal top part touch and stay engaged against top of coin when energized?  There is a gag when it pulls in and it just scatters/sparks until I push it down by hand.
Can I add a spacer below the coil to close the top gap?

thanks

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
Give it a try, it might do the trick.

The sparks are from the contacts not the coil?
Sparks from the coil to the armature plate would indicate the coil is shorting to its core or frame.
If that is the case the coil should be replaced.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
Yes the sparks are from contacts as they scatter.  I'll try a small shim to close gap and see if helps.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
Might want to check the contacts that are suppose to open, do open when the armature is in the down position. Also check for any metallic debris between contact blades.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
when the armature pulls in should it bottom out against top of coil?  Right now it only pulls down about half way.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »
Right, the metal plate is pulled to the core when it becomes magnetized.
Does it work if you give it a little help.
What is the number on the coil? I'm not where I can check what the coil # is at this moment.
Maybe someone else can post the coil number for the payout relay.
Could have been the wrong one to begin with, never know what the person before did to the machine.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »
It doesn't pull all the way down on it's own, I have to apply a little pressure with my finger.  When I do apply the pressure it the scattering and arcing stops.  The coil is G-32-2500.
thanks for all your time and help.
Bob

Offline jimliner

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • jimliner New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 08:38:42 PM »
Checked 3 diff hoppers, 922, 956 and another 956.    Payout relay in all 3 were the same.   G-31-2000.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 09:03:44 PM »
Thanks for checking that out.

Now does anyone know if the G-32-2500 I have is harder to pull in than the G-31-2000?

Offline jimliner

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • jimliner New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »

Found this on bally em pinball site.   -2000 has more pull than -2500.        Less resistance greater pulling power. 

The (generally accepted) Coil Pull-In Strength Rule:  The greater the number of turns of wire on a coil, the weaker (less pull in strength) the solenoid coil. Inversely, the fewer the number of wire turns the stronger the pull-in strength of the solenoid coil.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 06:23:54 AM »

Found this on bally em pinball site.   -2000 has more pull than -2500.        Less resistance greater pulling power. 

The (generally accepted) Coil Pull-In Strength Rule:  The greater the number of turns of wire on a coil, the weaker (less pull in strength) the solenoid coil. Inversely, the fewer the number of wire turns the stronger the pull-in strength of the solenoid coil.

thanks, that really helps and it seems to support the need for a different coil.  I'll try to locate the g-31-2000.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 06:41:21 AM »
I bought a unit out of a pinball machine. Got the whole thing on eBay, listed under pinball parts.
Had 4 or 5 coils, armatures and contacts on it.
Will check to see what has not been used. Might have the coil you need.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 03:37:01 PM »
Anyone know what the thing is that is soldered between the 2 poles on coil?  I circled it in red.  How do I test it to see of it's good or bad?
I had somone say it was a "arc suppressor".
thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:00:07 PM by rjpohl »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »
Didn't get the photo.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 05:00:28 PM »
Didn't get the photo.
sorry, i just added it.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 07:34:16 PM »
This is a schematic for a 809-K 5 coin machine
Showing two resistors, they appear to be in the same position as your machine.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
Just wanted to post this photo of the resistors on the payout relay coil.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal