New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 5500 blowing a florescent light on power up  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Bally 5500 blowing a florescent light on power up
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »
i was just asked to replace the Florecent bulbs in a Bally 5500. I replaced all 3 bulbs and starters. When I turned the machine on, the reels and top feature glass bulbs both came on. How ever the belly glass light flashed and died? I checked the starters, and they are good. I installed a second bulb in the belly glass, but again just a quick bright flash the nothing? Is the ballast bad. I've seen a bad ballast not light the bulb, but never cause a bulb to just blow? I don't see any grounded or pinched wires on the light fixture.. Any ideas...

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline dhellis

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
Re: Bally 5500 blowing a florescent light on power up
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
The most likely cause is the ballast. The ballast is used to control the current through the fluorescent tube so if
one goes bad it can cause a rush of current and all you get to see is a bright flash of light. If the ballast is open
then no current will flow and the tube will not light.

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:37:39 PM »
Dan,

So even if this machine uses starters there can still be a power surge?  I know the starter was not damaged because I tested it on one of the other two lights.

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline dhellis

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »
Dan,

So even if this machine uses starters there can still be a power surge?  I know the starter was not damaged because I tested it on one of the other two lights.

Gary

Yes, even with the starters in place. The starter (which is simply a timed switch) allows current to flow through the filaments at the ends of the tube. The current causes the starter's contacts to heat up and open, thus interrupting the flow of current. The tube lights.

Since the lighted fluorescent tube has a low resistance, the ballast now serves as a current limiter.So you see, the ballast which is a current limiter, if bad will allow to much current to flow once the switch is flipped. In this case the switch is the starter turns off the tube will blow due to to much current flow.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »
Thanks.. Is there any way to test a ballast with a multi meter? Can you check for resistance like a coil? I have a box full of take offs, but I'm not sure of there condition.
And remember...

Offline dhellis

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:17:49 PM »
The best method might be to measure one of the good ones in the machine and see what those readings are, measure both
sides and then measure the suspected bad once and you should see a difference. Now pull out the ones you have and select one
that closely matches the reading of your good one.

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
I had the same problem with one of the tubes on the door of an E2000, and it turned out to be a shorted starter socket. Those things are about as cheaply made as they can be - there was a strand of wire shorting between the pin slots on the socket.

Replaced socket, all was fixed.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »
Well I have found a ballast and starter socket off a old Bally E Series top box light. It should work for what I need. I'll know more next week when I can get back to the Bally 5500
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »
Ramegoom this is my new problem with this machine. I went to change out the belly light ballast, and yes I took a starter socket. I removed a ballast from a spare top light fixture from a Bally E2000. Now here is my problem. The female crimp connectors on the Bally 5500 light ballast are smaller the a .093 connector. Yet they are bigger then a .062 connector. What in the heck size crimp connectors were used? Is there a crimp connector size smaller the a .093, but bigger then a .062? I have these sizes.

Thanks, Gary
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal