New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Noisy Alpha reels  (Read 22787 times)

Offline keystone9

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Noisy Alpha reels
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »
Got tired of listening to the noisy reels on one of my Alpha's so after a few beverages I got to thinking about how company's use rubber items to quiet my compound bow. So I got some government issue rubber bands (the ones I get in my mail from the post office) and wrapped them around the outside of the reels as shown in the photos. Magic! No more noise. Super quiet. Now I know government issue will not last, I know these bands are going to pop in less than a week, but maybe some one out there can pick up on this and come up with a long lasting rubber band. Don't forget to let me know. Just thought I would share this with everyone because everyone shares shit with me. Bill.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:05:29 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
Re: Noisy Alpha reels
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:00:37 PM »
Hmm...so... :Scratch-Head:  It is vibration then, and the rubber band (in this instance) absorbs and quiets the excess noise. So what can we put on the inside of the reels to do the same (not that I don't like the look of your reels Bill). Remember how Bally applies adhesive to each crossbar on the reels and sticks the strips to it? I wonder if that padded/foam with the double sided stickem would absorb any vibration (and thus sound)?

Don't know just brainstorming here. I think we only have a couple Alphas in the shop right now, but I will try and play around with them if any of them have noisy reels! Sounds like a fun little experiment for a Sunday afternoon! (Man, I really lead a wild life don't I? To think that's my idea of fun...thats pitiful.)

Roz
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline keystone9

• keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:26:16 PM »
Same here. Bill.

Offline keystone9

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
I went to Staples today and looked around for some rubber bands. What I found was a package of "large rubber bands", which are nicely colored. Came back to the shop and I had this Alpha that sounded like a nest of chipmunks when spinning, so I put some of these cool yellow rubber bands on the outside edge of all the reels, I use a pick to push them to the edge, and bingo, no more noise. Now if you slide the reel glass to the left you hardly notice the rubber bands, or you can listen to the chatter if you don't like the looks of the band. We'll see how long they last. Bill.

Offline mvco

• Reputation Power: 26
  • mvco New User barely matters.mvco New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »
Interesting.  I have a 5 reeler that has had several game changes, so of course the glue on thise ribs is not adhering well anymore.  Noisy as hell.  hope we find a clean solution for this crap.  I had  athought, when putting on the reel strips, I wonder if using a heat gun the those ribs to warm and loosen up the glue, would that maybe work?

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Well, unfortunately, my Sunday afternoon was spent listing kits, but I WILL get down to the shop and play around. Heck, what do we have to lose huh? I'm just hoping we have a real chatterbox in the house (besides me, of course) to experiment on...

Offline LINDAM

• Moderator: Bill Validators and Currency acceptors
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • LINDAM Might someday be someone...LINDAM Might someday be someone...LINDAM Might someday be someone...LINDAM Might someday be someone...
  • When you run out of Quarters...You're done!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:05:37 AM »
Bill,

A roll of Scotch brand clear two sided tape does a nice job if places about every 2-3 inches on the backside of the strips......although I'm sure the Government Issue rubber bands look just dandy.

Lin
If it ain't broke.....Stop trying to fix it.

Offline SlotMechanic

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • SlotMechanic New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:48:38 AM »
I agree with Lin.....

I bought the 1/4" 3m double sided tape from suzo happ...and placed it on all the crossbars, and put new on the strips...my reels are very quite now!

Tom

Offline keystone9

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
Staples rubber bands. These reels were so noisy, now quiet. If you didn't know that the rubber bands weren't supposed to be there you wouldn't even notice. Bill.

Offline idesign

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 148
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
Problem with rubber bands is they will dry out from the heat and will pop or stretch.  Just use some 3M 465 double sided tape on the cross bars and the noise goes away.
If it ain't broke don't mess with it.....

Offline coolwavepic

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
I only have 1 reel that gets noisy depending on the speed the reel spins. Is that what we are talking about here? I call it the noisy reel #4! It only sounds like a sick reel during certain spins.

So where exactly are you putting the tape to make it quiet? I'm not sure which "crossbar" you're talking about.

The rubberband thing looks good only if you use the right color... Green for Greenstamps. Red for Blazing 7s... ect...lol

But I would prefer not to use rubberbands.
-------
Charles

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Between the 2 outer round rings/baskets on the reels are crossbars/cross members that run between for support. This is where the tape would be applied. It will stick to the back of the reel strip as well.

Offline coolwavepic

• Topic Moderator
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
All that "rubbing/grinding" noise is coming from that?????
-------
Charles

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
Hey, it's just what I hear...no pun intended...lol  :rotfl:

Offline idesign

• Sr NLG Member
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »
The tape goes on all the cross bars of the reel and make sure the reel strip is stuck to all of them.  If it does not adhere to the tape then the noise won't go away.

Offline FireballJackpot

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 122
  • FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:23:09 PM »
I realize this is an old post..... 

The noise you hear is the strips vibrating IN the plastic reel. The strips are too LOOSE because the original 3M glue has failed holding the strips tight in the reel (or they were installed loosely).

To solve this without any rubber bands, etc:

1) Remove the strips from the reel
2) Clean ALL old glue from the strips (both ends!)
3) reinstall the strips in the reel
4) Use Krazy Glue to reattach the strips to themselves (If you want a permanant bond with the strip)...Use 3m tape if you swap out strips all the time... BUT, you want to "pull" the strip ends together tightly/snug so the strip is NOT loose on the reel.

The reels will now spin silently, regardless of the stepper motors frequency.

Hope this helps....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:11:38 PM by FireballJackpot »

Offline idesign

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 07:34:57 AM »
Seems to me that if you use Krazy Glue on the strips you make them permanents attached that way with no chance of ever changing the game out to a different game without messing up the strips when you try to remove them from the reels.  The 3M tape is a better option that works.

Offline coolwavepic

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 10:56:03 AM »
I agree about the super glue.. seems like a bad idea. I use 3M tape and when one reel starts to get noisy again, I take the reel out and re-apply the tape. Quiet again!, and when the reel strips are tight, its amazing how quiet they run.
-------
Charles

Offline FireballJackpot

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 122
  • FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »
Clarified my position on the bonding agent. Personal preference. I swap out reels:

:thank_you:

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »
Guys, I’ve been doing the tape thing, and it’s been hit and miss.  Depending on the strips, the speed the reels are running, etc., the outcome varies.  It also takes quite a bit of time to remove the old tape when switching kits, cut and place the tape on the new kit, and set up.

I tried the Staples colored rubber bands, and I think they look great!  Easy to install.  Yes, I agree that with the heat inside of the machine, the bands will dry up and break, but man, they create a dead silent spin like nothing else that I’ve tried.  Heck, if I can find some bands made of a stronger material, I’ll spend the money!  I’m going to see how long these last and hunt for a stronger band.  Was thinking of even a clear band...they exist.

I’ll report back!

Jason
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:42:44 PM by Yoeddy1 »

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal