New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: first PE plus game- have questions  (Read 10846 times)

Offline puckhead

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
first PE plus game- have questions
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »
 first PE game, i guess PE plus cause of the bill acceptor ? didnt work, but now working.  cant find a plus manual in  the archives. will a non plus do the job? i dont know even the basic game play or anything about it. also, there are wires with no place to go, see pics, they are circled.  green wire with yellow tracer, looks like they are all daisy chained.  i have a button bulbs out, what type are they?  also, once in a while it goes into a memory testing kind of look, and the screen garbles. a reboot fixes it. any ideas?

thanks
mike

Offline puckhead

• puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: first PE plus game- have questions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
ps the wires are inside the coin door. i also need the little screw and nut that hols the round piece in the cabinet that the door mechanism latches on to

thanks

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
That wire looks like the ground wire that goes to the straight pin connector by your button switch. As for your missing hardware, visit your local hardware store that's what I do.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »
Amechanic is right, those disconnected wires that are green with yellow tracer are safety ground wires, they slip onto a round ground pin mounted on each pushbutton switch. If you carefully look at the underside of the pushbutton switches you should see the round pin. These wires are not needed for the buttons to work, they are there in case of a short circuit or other malfunction occurs, to keep voltage from getting on the metal chassis and shocking someone. It is good if they are attached but not needed for the machine to work. They are equivalent to the 3rd prong that is longer on a power cord plug, only there as a safety requirement to meet UL code. If you follow the green wires with yellow tracer you will find it attached to the metal chassis of the machine by a screw, it looks like you can see it over to the right in your photo.

Show us a photo of the main logic board (called the "mpu" board). Make sure the battery hasn't leaked onto the board. Push down firmly but carefully on all ic (eproms) that are in sockets in case some of them have gotten loose over time.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
no leakage on the battery. i actually have 2 of these games.  the one in the pics has a replacement lithium battery. the other a replacement varta battery ( dead, but no leakage) . which is correct? the varta looks out of place to me

thanks

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
no leakage on the battery. i actually have 2 of these games.  the one in the pics has a replacement lithium battery. the other a replacement varta battery ( dead, but no leakage) . which is correct? the varta looks out of place to me
thanks
:Please_Post_Pictures_2clr: 
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
the lithium is the working unit that sometimes does the memory thing. the other board the varta  battery is stone dead, and i havent worked on the machine yet.

thanks

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »
2nd pic

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
I would remove the Varta battery. It looks like that's all someone had to use. Replace it with a half AA Lithium battery.
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »
If I understand what you are saying you have 2 of these machines. If so that's good because you can swap parts from one machine to another to figure out what is causing the memory reset problem you described. It might be the mpu board, but could be something else like power supply. The 1/2 AA battery is the correct one, any battery of the correct voltage can be connected and the mpu won't know the difference. But many people have had the green Varta battery leak and damage their mpu board so I'd remove it and replace with the correct one. You can use a 1/2 AA battery with solder leads (pigtails), or you can install a battery holder and the 1/2 AA battery can then be easily changed whenever needed.

The burned out bulbs should have a number written on them, take a look at one and you can find replacements. Or others here familiar with the PE+ can say for sure which bulb it uses. Is it just some of the player pushbutton bulbs that are not working, other bulbs and lamps are ok? Be careful when removing the pushbutton cover or button assembly to replace the bulb, that plastic can get fragile over the years. One way is to unscrew the plastic nut under the button and remove the entire assembly for a good cleaning and replace the bulb in the process. Or you may be able to just remove the top button cover and then remove the bad bulb.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • BrianT New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »
If you're going to desolder the old battery and remove it, you might as well put in a battery holder and only ever solder once.  I used the simple and cheap 1/2AA battery holders (search ebay) and dremelled a tiny slot on the bottom to bend the wire straight out.  Then I place fit on the MPU board and snip off wire I don't need and solder into place.  Then just buy standard 1/2AA batteries without the attached wires and install as shown.  A better looking solution and likely easier to solder into place without any mods are these Keystone 1016 holders ( http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/keystone-electronics/1016/36-1016-ND/2137844 & battery clip http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/keystone-electronics/1024C/36-1024C-ND/2746326 ) buy as many or few as you need.  Now you can simply pop out the old one and pop in a new battery or remove the battery for long term storage without the fear of damage to the MPU board.  Hope that works out for you.

BrianT
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:35:42 PM by BrianT »

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »
here are pics. the bonus 25c poker has a chip a U66 that the deuces 25c poker doesnt have.  i assume thats correct, the dueces game was before it died.

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
2nd board

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
here are pics. the bonus 25c poker has a chip a U66 that the deuces 25c poker doesnt have.  i assume thats correct, the dueces game was before it died.

Not sure, I was thinking the U66 DATA chip was needed on these boards, maybe it depends on the game software that is installed (single game vs multi-game software). Perhaps someone that knows will comment about this.

-EDIT-
I think your mpu boards are what is called a "superboard". These boards allow multi-game software to be installed so the player can pick from a menu of 5 games. These boards have the extra chip socket at U66. But if an older single-game software is installed the U66 socket will be empty.

..... cant find a plus manual in  the archives. will a non plus do the job?.....

thanks
mike

There are some PE+ manuals in the download area, is this where you looked?

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=downloads;cat=92

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=downloads;cat=75

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:57:43 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
on the board with the missing data chip, i meant to say the game was known to be working before it stopped, so i assume  it had no chip.   it did have a varta battery in place of the lithium , so who know, maybe the data chip was removed ?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »
So does either machine work with one of the mpu boards?

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
i havent tried the working board in the non working game( yet). i dont have set up and clear chips yet, and i dont want to cause some kind of mismatch i cant clear.  im tempted to, but im waiting for the chips to arrive.  im also going to wait until i get a answer on the missing data chip

thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
I think your mpu boards are what is called a "superboard". They allowed the newer multi-game software sets to be installed so the player could pick from a menu of 5 games. These boards have the extra chip socket at U66. But if older single-game software is installed the U66 socket will be empty. I think that's what is going on with the board with empty U66 location. So there isn't supposed to be a chip at U66 since the game software on that board is for a single game.

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »
thanks for those manual links, dont know how i didnt see that

Offline puckhead

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
the working game with the data chip does have 5 game select. the no chip game i dont know, as its not working. if i put the working board in, will i get a mismatch that will need to be re-set up?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal