New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Alpha Gift From the Gods won't boot  (Read 4181 times)

Offline ronrae

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ronrae New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally Alpha Gift From the Gods won't boot
« on: October 06, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »
i have a gift from the gods MPU that won't boot. It throws an error that is beyond me. I have replaced all the batteries in both the MPU and the backplane. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm new to this site, new to slot machine repair but I've been working on pinball machines for over 5 years.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:23:11 PM by ronrae »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Bally Alpha Gift From the Gods won't boot
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 08:25:56 PM »
It looks like you have a BIOS/OS mismatch.  Post a picture of the bios eprom on your MPU and a picture of the OS CF Card.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:54 PM »
Here are the pictures of the various identifiable parts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:07:05 PM by ronrae »

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:52:59 PM »
Back of CF cards

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
I do not recognize either the BIOS or the OS version.  What game is installed on your bally alpha cabinet?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 10:03:52 PM »
Gift from the Gods is what the marquee says.  The motherboard seems to be a s9000.  AVBPROD0R802-00 (the BIOS chip) seems to cross to "Lucky 7" according to some spreadsheet from Mississippi.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:34:52 PM by ronrae »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 10:36:29 PM »
AVPRODR802 is a bios, there's no correlation to the game theme.  The earliest bios version I've ever encountered has been "807"  So you have a really early bios.  As far as the game is concerned the number 20309 cross references something called "Personality" which I have never seen.  I don't believe it's a game card, but some kind of boot loader.  Does your mpu have pci card installed withe some eproms on it?

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 10:58:27 PM »
No card is installed in the expansion slot.

I bought this machine lately, in its non-functional state, although the seller said it was working prior. He didn't seem technical to me so I took him at face value that the machine worked at one time.  It had a bad LCD power supply and this problem.  Power supply on the MPU tests good.

Is there someway to test the CF cards or the MPU? 

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 11:17:38 PM »
At this point, I would upgrapde the BIOS and OS cards. Not an expensive fix.
-------
Charles

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 05:52:14 AM »
Is replacing the cards something I should post on the classified ads (I subscribed to this site)?  What should I ask for?  Also, do I need a Ram Clear card?

Sorry for all the newbie questions and thanks to anyone/everyone for the info.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 06:37:33 AM by ronrae »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »
That would be the correct place to an ad for the bios/os/clear.

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 06:41:22 AM »
What do I ask for?  BIOS / OS / RAM clear for a s9000 MPU?  What should I expect to pay?  Does it usually come with the marquee banners?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:57:22 AM »
The marquee banners you get if you buy a complete game kit.  Usually (but not all) come with the OS, Game and the artwork that goes along with it.  In the Bally platform, there are only a handful of OS cards, and they are paired with specific bios.  The newer bios is the "300" bios and the corresponding os cards are in the 33x range (i.e. AVSOS000033x-xx).  Since you appear to have an early cabinet, I suggest you stay with the 07 bios and the 817 OS card.  Clear is 312.  The reason I don't recommend the newest bios for you is because the newest bios appears to have different monitor timings.  I've run into situations where the game worked fine with the 07 bios, but when upgraded to the 300 bios, the monitor had issues.  So unless you have the 20" widescreen monitor, the more trouble free way is to go with the 07 bios and related os and clear.  It all depends on how much you want to invest in your game.

Offline ronrae

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
Here is what it displays when it stops booting.  Research says:

MBR Read Failed, I/O error: Need to replace OS flash card. Possible that tech before you swapped around the GME and OS flash cards which will corrupt OS.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:44:47 AM by ronrae »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal