New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Odyssey Monitor swap to flatscreen.  (Read 7653 times)

Offline Haywire Slots

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Haywire Slots Is working their way up.Haywire Slots Is working their way up.Haywire Slots Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Haywire Slot Machines of Houston
Odyssey Monitor swap to flatscreen.
« on: February 08, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
Had some extra time on my hands today, so figured I would try to get an old Odyssey machine up & running. Machine booted up fine but no picture, Blaaa... plugged my pc monitor up, got a pic, vid card good. had a spare monster monitor kicking around, installed it, that ones bad too, Blaaaa... Well I have a few 26" monitors out of Bally machines, so why not, it will fit. So after a few hours of looking at schematics, & hacking/ splicing all sorts of wires, I managed to successfully install a Cinevision monitor in my Odyssey. If anyone is interested in doing the swap, I am more than happy to share the details. Really is an easy swap, & takes about 40 lbs. off your machine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:28:48 AM by Slam »

Offline Slotski

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • Slotski New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Odyssey Monitor swap to flatscreen.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:09:09 PM »
I've got some cine vision monitors and 3 or so Odysseys. If you have time I would like to hear how you did it. Especially if you had any challenges with getting the touch screen to work. Thank you Gene

Offline Haywire Slots

• Haywire Slots Is working their way up.Haywire Slots Is working their way up.Haywire Slots Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
This should be all you need to hook up your 26" cinevision monitor in an Odyssey. You will need to add a 24v power supply. 110v can be pulled from the p10 molex originally used to power the old crt.
      If you have any questions or need any more pics of the install, let me know.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:18:06 PM by Slam »

Offline Slotski

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
I think I understand. And just need the serial in and out for touch screen and it works fine? Screen and touchscreen are all good? Thanks Gene

Offline Haywire Slots

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
I think I understand. And just need the serial in and out for touch screen and it works fine? Screen and touchscreen are all good? Thanks Gene
run 2 wires from P8 harness marked Din & Dout to the corresponding pins on the 9pin port on your monitor & your good to go.touch-screen works like a charm.

Offline Haywire Slots

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 12:35:37 PM »
https://youtu.be/p3XdeVLGJXo
Here is a link so you can see it up & running.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3XdeVLGJXo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3XdeVLGJXo</a>

Edited to embed video.  -knagl
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:19:25 PM by knagl »

Offline Slotski

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
The video looked really good and sharp. Enough space inside the cabinet now you could put shelves up to store Odyssey spare parts. Will definitely do this as soon as time permits. Thanks, Gene

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
Can you post a pic where the wires from the monitor  are  connected into the Odyssey?  Is the pic fixed where you mentioned the polarity needs changed?  Thank  You  Tim

Offline Haywire Slots

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
Can you post a pic where the wires from the monitor  are  connected into the Odyssey?  Is the pic fixed where you mentioned the polarity needs changed?  Thank  You  Tim
I'll take a pic tomorrow. All the wires are plugged into the plug that was hooked up to the original monitor.It should have a tag on it(P8). I have not updated the pic yet.

Offline Haywire Slots

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »
pic is updated

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Great Thanks! !! 

Offline vette6048

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • vette6048 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
That is really interesting. I have 3 working Odyssey machines and I never knew that could be done. The main question is where do you get one of those Bally lcd screens from? Maybe would like to try this on one of my Odysseys.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »
Wanted to give Big Thanks to Slam for this info. Works Great! I used a Bally Cinevision Ceronix. No 24 volt PS is needed.  I mounted my LCD to the frame work that the CRT is bolted to rather than mounting it to the door.  This is a very easy  swap. I will  post pictures later. Also swapping in a WBA is very easy so you  can use the new $100.  Thank You  Tim

Offline 04sshd

• Reputation Power: 0
  • 04sshd New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »
This makes me wish I still had my odyssey...nice work!

Offline VegasJ

• Reputation Power: 1
  • VegasJ New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 09:20:39 AM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:18:37 PM by VegasJ »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
Yes. The 26" Bally Cinevision is the correct LCD. Tatung brand LCD will need a seperate 24 volt power supply. Tatung does not have the 24 volts built in to my knowledge. Ceronix brand has 24 volts built in. Bally used both types/brands. Vendors here on NLG have monitors.

Offline VegasJ

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Thank you.. :cool_thumb_up:

What other wires/ parts will I need to change out the screen?

Big time NEWB here sorry,

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
Here is some info. For changing the monitor. http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=17415.0

Offline VegasJ

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
I removed the CRT.. I believe everything mounted on the left side (deflection board) also needs to come out?
Yes all that was part of the CRT that is now useless
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:26:26 PM by VegasJ »

Offline Kingsfanz

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kingsfanz New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 05:18:00 PM »
I have an Odyssey Slot machine I just turned on for the first time in 6 years.  Having monitor issues. Would like to know where I could get an used monitor or new one like the ones used in your videos.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal