New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help ! BB2 CPU-NXT2 MPU board not powering on correctly.  (Read 6425 times)

Offline allen84

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • allen84 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Help ! BB2 CPU-NXT2 MPU board not powering on correctly.
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »
I decided today, I wanted to play my WMS BB2 video machine (I've owned it for 2 months now, played it on off probably about 8 times now with no issues.) After a few weeks of not playing it (Which was fine when I powered down the machine last time).   Upon switching on the machine, It seems to power on, but both monitors is saying "no signal".  And the monitors just stays black.   

Turn back off, trying to make sure all plugs, and DVI cables are secure, turn back on, same result.  Did it 1 more time, same thing.   

Decided to open the door to the MPU, and noticed both fans are not spinning.  I also noticed that the 12v LED is lit, but the others (3v3, 5v, ETX) are not lit.  Not sure if the power supply is shot. If it was completely dead, than why is the 12v still lit?    I'm guessing the 3.3v, 5v, ETX need to be lit/working, so the CPU, Harddrives, fans and the MPU board in general would receive power and work

The backplane is all fully lit:

I'm not sure where the problem is.  If anyone has experienced this similar problem, and solved it, I would love to know.

Thanks

Offline Zoinks

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Zoinks New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Help ! BB2 CPU-NXT2 MPU board not powering on correctly.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:52:06 AM »
Here's a few things to check.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:29:23 AM by Zoinks »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
I would make sure the mpu is seated all the way in.  That looks like it is not fully connected.  If all lights are lit on the backplane, the MPU not seated right is usually the problem.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 02:14:38 AM »
I would make sure the mpu is seated all the way in.  That looks like it is not fully connected.  If all lights are lit on the backplane, the MPU not seated right is usually the problem.

Removed the entire Enclosure up from the bulkhead board, and then re-seated it.  Still same problem.  Also tried to replug the plugs from the power strip.   

Also, I've gleaned as much as I can from the manuals, and I couldn't really find any problem description describing the Power LED's on the CPU board being partially lit. (only the 12v LED and now I've discovered a green led near D34 on the board is also lit.)   

I've just noticed upon closer inspection, that there seems to be some kind of corrosion on the board. It may or may not be the problem, as it looks like it was probably there for sometime when I bought it. 

Googled on how to clean corrosion from motherboard.  Will attempt this soon.  Hopefully this might fix it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:15:03 AM by allen84 »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »
You don't have a backup MPU?  It could also be a power supply issue.  Do you have someone close by where you could take your mpu to try it in another cabinet?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »
You don't have a backup MPU?  It could also be a power supply issue.  Do you have someone close by where you could take your mpu to try it in another cabinet?

Hi, Rick

No, I do not have a backup NXT2 MPU.  I live in Canada. Slot owners are a rare sight. Don't know anyone else with this type of machine except for the racetrack and slots establishment 10 min away from me lol.

I do have a BB1, 3 reel cabinet.  Could I swap the NXT & NXT2 and/or put one another in each others machines safely just to see if it could load or it at least registers some kind of bootup messages on the screens? Even though i know nothing would boot in correctly because of software incompatibility.  But i guess at least this way i can find out if its the board or a power issue?

Is it safe to do this?

Offline iramack

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
Yes you could do that safely. Just swap the CPU that is having the problem for the one in the BB1 cabinet.  You don't have to hook up anything else just power up the BB1 and look for the lights on the board to be all lit up.  If they all light up it's the Power supply in your BB2 and that can be had from Suzo Happ etc......

If they don't, then its the board itself, and you can find many of those on the Bay or NLG.
Good Luck......
Steve

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 01:35:32 PM »
Yes you could do that safely. Just swap the CPU that is having the problem for the one in the BB1 cabinet.  You don't have to hook up anything else just power up the BB1 and look for the lights on the board to be all lit up.  If they all light up it's the Power supply in your BB2 and that can be had from Suzo Happ etc......

If they don't, then its the board itself, and you can find many of those on the Bay or NLG.
Good Luck......
Steve

Before I do this a little later on,  One thing that got me thinking, I find it odd, that the backplane's Power LED lights are all fully lit, indicating that all the power rails are working from the power supply.  Doesn't the CPU board get this power fed from backplane?  If it was a power supply issue, shouldn't the backplane just have the 12v LED on?   

Primary power connection from the power supply to J9 on the backplane, which the CPU board enclosure mounts on top of the 2 blind mate connectors and receives the full power? 

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:51:10 PM by allen84 »

Offline iramack

• iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
True that.  But worth a try anyway. Could not hurt to do it..............

Steve

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
True that.  But worth a try anyway. Could not hurt to do it..............

Steve

Well, I swapped the boards. Put the BB1 mpu into the BB2, fires up no problem all Power LEDS lit, so it is not the Power supply.  Put the BB2 Mpu into the BB1 machine, same exact problem as it was exhibiting in the BB2, only 12v LED light is on. 3v3, 5v, EXT LED's not lit.   It is the NXT2 board is the problem.  Disappointed to say the least.  The most costliest part to replace.   

While I was at it, I removed all the corrosion as best as I can, removed the CPU ETX daughterboard, reseated it,  cleaned the processor of the old thermal paste and applied fresh paste.  Processor looked fine by the looks of it.  Reseated the processor while I was at it,  Reseated the Ram.  Didn't do anything with the video card or Harddrive, left that as is.

Put everything back together, nothing. Still the same problem.  Only 12v LED is on.    Will check on the Harddrive and Video card next, but I don't think it will do anything.   Its just the board isn't receiving full power and I'm still intent in trying to fix this or figure this out, before I spend more money on a new MPU.  :banghead:

Offline Zoinks

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 03:28:03 AM »
Hey I bumped your post on SlotTechForum but figured I would post here as well.

I've had one similar issue with a WMS CPU not getting all power LEDs which was resolved by changing out the Video Card/Fan.

You've already eliminated power and it sounds like narrowed it down to the problem being with the board itself.

Reseat CPU. Check the pins on the board for any signs of damage. Most common issue with CPU not receiving power is it not being well seated. (I'm sure you've already tried this several times from the sounds of it.)

Test/Replace the two coin batteries on the board.

Next I would try reseating the SPI and BIOS chips. Check to make sure they are placed correctly, no broken/bent pins, and the sockets are not dirty/showing signs of wear.
 (You could also try reseating the RAM.)

If that doesn't work I would try unplugging everything within the CPU and removing the software. If the empty board receives power and your LEDs all light up start plugging things back in one at a time to see what is causing the problem.

If not then you have reached the point where I would just replace the board, but I don't pay for new boards out of my own pocket... so I can certainly understand you wanting to save this one if at all possible.

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
Hey I bumped your post on SlotTechForum but figured I would post here as well.

I've had one similar issue with a WMS CPU not getting all power LEDs which was resolved by changing out the Video Card/Fan.

You've already eliminated power and it sounds like narrowed it down to the problem being with the board itself.

Reseat CPU. Check the pins on the board for any signs of damage. Most common issue with CPU not receiving power is it not being well seated. (I'm sure you've already tried this several times from the sounds of it.)

Test/Replace the two coin batteries on the board.

Next I would try reseating the SPI and BIOS chips. Check to make sure they are placed correctly, no broken/bent pins, and the sockets are not dirty/showing signs of wear.
 (You could also try reseating the RAM.)

If that doesn't work I would try unplugging everything within the CPU and removing the software. If the empty board receives power and your LEDs all light up start plugging things back in one at a time to see what is causing the problem.

If not then you have reached the point where I would just replace the board, but I don't pay for new boards out of my own pocket... so I can certainly understand you wanting to save this one if at all possible.

I changed out the 2 CMOS batteries, reseated the SPI chip. (what is a good way to take out the bios chip, anyway just left that as is, hopefully that not being the issue, as I seem to have a power issue here which should be unrelated)

Well, I removed everything off the board (Adastra daughter board which holds the processor, ram), video card, hard drive, game OS cards.   Still the same result.    12v LED and D34 LED located at bottom middle board are the only ones remain lit.  I guess that the entire motherboard is defective.   I wonder what is causing it not to receive the 3v3, 5v, & ETX rail power ? only 12V.     It would be great to know for sure if someone on here tinkers with BB2s, I need a second opinion. Can the board really have all its POWER leds all lit with just the empty motherboard?  Unless there is a capacitor that is burnt causing the other power rails from reaching the board.  Could someone test this on here with just the empty MPU to see if full LED powers are lit?

There is no issue with the wiring of the power supply or the plugs on the backplanes, since i've tested the BB1 MPU with no issues at all.

Well this sucks.  I guess it's hard to buy just the board anywhere, as it looks like everyone tries to sell it complete with everything.   I'm quite sad now.  2 months of ownership, everything was perfectly fine from the last power down a few weeks ago, and now this problem I can't quite figure out.  Even searched for similar issues from searching on the forums, and slottech forums,  Some problem questions come close, but can't find an issue with the power LEDs partially lit problem from others.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:58:17 PM by allen84 »

Offline iramack

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
See if the Seller will stand behind the sale and offer you some assistance. It has only been two months as you said.

Even if it's splitting the cost of repair/replacement.

Steve

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 07:59:12 PM »
See if the Seller will stand behind the sale and offer you some assistance. It has only been two months as you said.

Even if it's splitting the cost of repair/replacement.

Steve

I had an amazing deal as it is.  He was extremely nice with the transaction and everything went smoothly.  I purchased both his BB1 & BB2 machines, He even threw in over 20 Games & OS and dongles for an equivalent of $2000 US, which I couldn't pass up on.  He even showed me live video of the machines working prior to sale. I accepted his disclaimer as sale being final and as is.  The only thing he could do was only offer assistance if i ever needed it anytime, but any future problems he couldn't help on, I was on my own.

I don't really want to demand payment from him for something that isn't his problem anymore, and getting a great deal already on it. 

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
You have a bb1 cabinet as well?  Put the bb2 mpu in the bb1 cabinet to see if it will power up.  This would discard any power issues or backplane issues if it acts the same way.

Offline allen84

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »
You have a bb1 cabinet as well?  Put the bb2 mpu in the bb1 cabinet to see if it will power up.  This would discard any power issues or backplane issues if it acts the same way.

Hi, Rick

I've done that (read my reply on post #9)   I've accepted the fate that it is the cpu board. Tried with just the board empty with eveeything removed.  Still just 12v led lit.

Im already starting to look on ebay. Is $350 reasonable for a full  NXT2 box?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:45:36 AM by allen84 »

Offline Zoinks

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 02:00:00 AM »
(what is a good way to take out the bios chip...)

The proper tool is a PLCC Chip Extractor, but I usually just use a pick and lift up one corner at a time.

... Can the board really have all its POWER leds all lit with just the empty motherboard? ... Could someone test this on here with just the empty MPU to see if full LED powers are lit? ...

I just tested and confirmed with one of our spare CPU-NXT2s off the shelf in a BB2 with no software, no BIOS/SPI/RAM, disconnected the fan, HDD, and video card.
As soon as I flipped on the power all four LEDs lit right up.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:25:32 AM by Zoinks »

Offline jonm287

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • jonm287 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »
I've had a few boards with the same symptoms you're describing.  When it wasn't the Video Card being cooked, the adrasta board itself was the culprit.  Swapping that brought the game back up.  Something to do with the voltage regulators on the board going wonky. 

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
I would remove and reseat both the adastra board and the video card as one last diagnosis.  $350 is very reasonable for a nxt2 cpu that works.  I paid $650 for my last one about 6 months ago.  You want to have a backup mpu anyway, and nowadays the bb2's are being basically dumped, so parts are about as cheap as they are going to get.

Offline jonm287

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • jonm287 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 10:59:27 AM »
I'll vouch for what Rickhunter said about the BB2s.  We're steadily getting rid of ours as well.  Just sold a bunch to a vendor for way less than they're worth even just parting out. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal