New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 8720A Error message  (Read 6096 times)

Offline verbob

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • verbob New User has no influence.
  • NLG
8720A Error message
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
Just picked up this old white beast for super cheap. Just going to be a man-cave machine...

Powered up and get error 96.

Would love to know where to get a manual for this. Info on this machine is extremely scarce.

I did fix the lines in the screen since I took the pictures by adjusting the CRT. And this is a Canadian machine, but I assume not much difference than the american as thats where they most likely were manufactured anyway.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: 8720A Error message
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
I was thinking those "Video Lotto" machines were just computer terminals, they have to be connected to a network server that actually runs the game? Have you looked inside, take a photo of the main logic circuit board, see if it has game software stored in eprom? I'm not familiar with your particular machine so this is just a guess.

Also, you didn't say what brand or the name of the company that made it. Look for an idplate or something that says the manufacturer and model name.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
I was thinking those "Video Lotto" machines were just computer terminals, they have to be connected to a network server that actually runs the game? Have you looked inside, take a photo of the main logic circuit board, see if it has game software stored in eprom? I'm not familiar with your particular machine so this is just a guess.

in the back there are quite a few circuit boards. This is dated dec 1992, so I'd be 100% certain they didn't run from a network server, but yes, there is a modem plug, ...these units should run mostly stand-alone and connectivity simply for some type of validation check I would believe. Modem LOL...imagine how long it would take to load a game? or the time it takes between spins?

I will however take a few pics of the internal circuitry and post. This may be a simply issue of a previous owner playing with the dip switches and messing it up, which is where a manual would come in handy...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:24:17 AM »
Are you sure it is a modem (telephone) connector, and not a network connector? They are similar looking, but the network connector is wider.

A telephone/modem connector has 6 positions for wires, the network connector has 8 positions for wires.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:52:50 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
OOOPS, yea forgot to add this earlier. I'll take pics of the internal circuits in a bit. Thanks.

Also, these units were in almost every corner store around here in the mid to late 90's, so I'd doubt that every store was equipped with broadband internet as it was a rarity for most people to have at that time (dial-up was the norm). So I'd be very confident in saying yes to modem. But will double check (this machine is in my friends garage at the moment, but I'll be over there later today and I'll snap some pics)

...and yes, I am aware of the difference between modem and ethernet... been in IT for almost 3 decades :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
If it is a modem connection then it was probably just used to send in financial info concerning machine play, report stats required by the regulators like amount of coin-in, winnings paid, etc.

When you are looking at the circuit boards one of them (probably the main control board) may have a battery that is used to keep certain data intact in case of power loss or if the machine is shut down. On some machines if the battery has gone dead then the machine will halt operation. Something to check.

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:16 AM »
I did notice the battery(AA) with soldered wires on an add-in/daughter/riser (whatever its referred to as) board. When going through the menu screen with the key turned, I see that the battery is keeping the time/date properly, although it's possible that particular battery has a different purpose.

I'll probably try connecting another AA in parallel and see if it helps, as I've read there may be issues completely disconnecting the existing battery on different model machines.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »
It looks like the Video Lottery Consultants company is still around, their phone number is (406)-585-6600 and (406) 585-6617, you could try contacting them to see about getting a manual or other support. Worth a try.

They may now be part of a company called Powerhouse Technologies now. Here is some of the company history:

http://www.company-histories.com/Powerhouse-Technologies-Inc-Company-History.html

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
It looks like the Video Lottery Consultants company is still around, their phone number is 406-585-6600, you could try contacting them to see about getting a manual or other support. Worth a try.

Thanks! Certainly an option. I just got a line on a (relatively) local person that had some experience with these back when they were in service. I'll give that a try first :)

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »
Here's some more pics

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
Was the local person that is familiar with this model machine of any help?

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
Still waiting on him to get back to me... preliminary contact made and he did indicate he *may* be able to help.... still open to suggestions in the meantime :)

Offline DreamMaster

• Contributing NLG Member
  • DreamMaster New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
Question - did you ever resolve the issues with the VLC?
Appears you may have the early model? smaller chips for those ones...

You do not need to be hooked up to a telephone line.
There will operate as a stand alone machine. The games are on each board.
The telephone line connection was for monitoring payouts etc....

Offline verbob

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »
Actually ended up selling the terminal without resolution... didn't have room to store it :(

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal