New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bill validator question  (Read 8277 times)

Offline hawkypro

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • hawkypro New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bill validator question
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
Alright,

Got my parts for the hoppe on the Triple Diamond machine to convert it to use quarters.  Works like a champ now :applause: .  ( thanks Roz) Everything is working - payouts are correct, sounds are good ect....with the exception of the bill validator not taking bills. I dont know if this function has not been enabled or not.  It does go through the boot up with no problems when i start the machine.

So where do i start to see if its enabled..

:talktothehand: Found a thread on this matter,  I will tread through that first and see where I get.

Hawkypro
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 07:24:47 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Bill validator question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:22:20 PM »
You need a set chip to enable the validator on an S+.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
Thats the question I guess, is there a way to check to see if its enabled already?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
Did you try a $1 bill, face up insertion?  That's the best bill to use to prove BV is working or not since it eliminates the question of old software in the BV causing the new-style bills to be rejected.

Also, does the BV pull the bills in and then rejects them back out - or does it not even pull them in?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »
It wont even pull it in.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
I'm not an S+ expert but that sounds like the bill validator might not be enabled. It does get power automatically when the machine is turned on, that's why you can hear it going thru it's power-up initialization routine. But that doesn't mean it is enabled. The enabling is a setting in the mpu board's memory that tells the mpu board that you have a bill validator and you want the machine to use it.  Do you know if someone did a CLEAR procedure on the machine or swapped out the mpu boards?

As an S+ owner it is probably a good idea to get a SET chip anyway, so you can change settings and fix little things down the road. Let someone say which SET chip is the best one to get, I think there are a few different ones.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
you have a 145 bill acceptor in your machine, thats a first generation unit.  software limitations to what money will be accepted, if you want it to work I would suggest an upgrade.

get in the test mode, go to the test 5_0  advance to the number 9,either a 0 or a 1, if 0 the bill accept is not enabled, if 1 it is enabled, go to test#6in the coins played window, you should hear the handle solenoid lock in and the number 25 in the display, if zero and you can advance it with the spin button it is not set.

you need a set 15 vchip to do this.

test the bulbs that light up the yellow bezel using the coin denomination socket .

hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
I just remembered that in another thread about this machine he posted a picture of a second mpu board and a couple of chips that came with the machine. One is a SET015 and the other is IVC123.

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
Yes, I do have those in my possession.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 09:03:16 PM »
The SET chip can be used to check and change settings in the machine like enabling the bill validator and setting the denomination to be used in the machine.

The IVC chip is a newer utility chip that is more powerful, like doing a total memory clear, but you'd want to be careful using it. Someone familiar with it can give a rundown on what it does and when to use it.

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 09:08:28 PM »
Ok, that's great.   

Thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
Here's a writeup from the old NLG website on how to use the SET chip to enable the bill validator. The abbreviation DBV refers to the bill validator, some very common BV's used on the S+ were the JCM  DBV-145 and DBV-200 models:

http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/dbv.htm

The DBV model bill validators consist of a head unit (shown below) that mates with a bill transport mechanism behind it. The entry slot on the front usually has some type of bill guide mounted to it, the size and style depending on the slot machine. Inside the DBV head is a circuit board with an eprom. That eprom has software so it can recognize the image of the bill as it passes thru. When the USA changed its bills years ago to the newer style with colors and big-head photos the software in the BV needed to be updated to recognize these new bills. But by that time the company that made the DBV models had started considering them obsolete and had stopped releasing software updates. And the government started removing the old style $5 and above bills from circulation.

So the old DBV heads usually don't have the ability to read the new style bills in circulation today, except for the $1 bill which never changed. You can examine your BV and see the software number written on its eprom, that will tell you what bills it works with. But experience has shown that all DBV-145 are now unable to work with anything except the $1 bill. And no new software is available for the DBV-145. The DBV-200 was a newer model than the -145 and it has somewhat newer software for certain versions on certain slot machines. If your DBV is a -200 we can check to see if there is an update for it. But even if there is it would likely only be for a few of the new style bill designs, like $20 and maybe $10 bills.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:39:31 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 07:53:49 AM »
Here is my write up and is really easy to follow...

REEL SLOT BILL ACCEPTOR AND SET DENOMINATION INSTRUCTIONS

Begin by turning off the machine.

Pull out the board and remove the "SP" or "GAME" chip.  Install the BV/SET Denom chip in its place.  Make note of the "notched" end of the game chip when you remove it and install the notched end of the set chip facing the same direction.

Install the board back in the machine and turn the power on.

Machine should be showing a "0" in the coins played display.  Push the white test button (next to your power switch) 1 time....Display should now read 9.......0.
Push the "Spin Reels" button on the front once and the display should read 9......1. (9......0=validator off and 9......1=validator on).

Now press the white test button once.  Display should now show a "0".  Now press the "Spin Reels" button to the coin denomination you desire:

In other words, the spin button will move the display from 0-5 (nickel), then to 10(dime), 25 (quarter) and so on.  When the denomination you desire is in the display, press and hold the white button for 3 seconds.  This saves your settings.

Turn the machine off and pull out the board.  Remove the BV/ON-OFF or SET denom chip and replace the "SP" game chip, (game eprom).

Turn the machine power on and you should see a "61" in the display.  Press the white button once, hold and wait  (about 4 sec.) and the display should change to 61.....1.

Close the door and hit the jackpot reset key one time.  The machine will now re-initialize.  Be patient.  The machine will go into a spin and stop.  The machine is now ready to play, otherwise known as "in game" mode.

The insert coins and bill validators lights should now be on.  YOU ARE DONE!

Note: If either light is off, make sure the light bulbs are both good and in working order!!

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »
 :thank_you: Followed the directions and the BV works great now.  Thanks a million.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »
just curious, what denomination bills does it accept?

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
Seeing that my wife and daughter took my 5 and 20 dollar bills today, I was only able to run a dollar at the moment. I will try to run 5, 10 and 20 later tonight and post back.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
are you sure you'll be getting those bills back from them later??    :garfield:

I saw that Jim said you had a DBV-145 bill validator in the machine. He's probably right but can you take a look and confirm that? There should be a sticker on the top of the BV head unit.

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »
Jim is correct it is a DBV-145  Software version is 2.15

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
Jim is correct it is a DBV-145  Software version is 2.15
thanks for checking, I think that means that you'll only be able to get $1 bills to work, unless you find some of the old style (small head) $5,$10,$20 bills.

According to the JCM website (maker of the DBV-145) the last software release for your BV was version 3.40, released in 2004. Here is their wording on bills accepted if you updated your BV:

Version:
Denominations:
Accepts $1,$5('03 & older),$10('03 & older),$20('04 & older),$50('88~'04) and $100('88~'01)bills.Included "Next Generation" $50 recognition.(2004 series).Currency is accepted in 1 direction: face-up, black seal first only.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:24:01 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline hawkypro

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 01:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm ok with it for now though, just accepting 1 dollar bills.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal