New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Arcade: Pole Position not working  (Read 4299 times)

Offline subzero

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • subzero New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Arcade: Pole Position not working
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:49:33 PM »
Hi all,
I have a Atari Pole Position arcade game that is not working (bought untested)...looking for thoughts.  Power would appear fine on the boards.  If I power the machine on and turn on or flip it to test mode, the tests show everything working fine (Rams/Roms with no errors, all controls, coin mechs, all sounds are perfect, steering wheel feedback perfect, etc.).  When I flip the test switch back (to game mode) ..it shows some garbled characters (as it should..like it is booting up according to the manual) then shows the convergence grid (also good) but then Nothing (black).  If I continue to leave it on, then it just continuous to cycle this sequence of garbled characters, convergence screen, back to black).  Flipping a credit and attempting to play does nothing (no sound).
Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Ayron

Offline jtwine

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • jtwine New User has no influence.
  • Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
Re: Arcade: Pole Position not working
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »
I presume you have tried all of the normal stuff - resocketing socketed chips, flexing the board slightly to see if anything changes, etc.

You mention that the power reads good, but did not say what it was at the connector nor at test points on the board (or at someplace like a chip's power leads).  Those older Atari games could sometime cook their connectors causing subtle power issues.  Cleaning the card edge connector would not be a bad idea, especially if it shows any signs of burning.

Did you go through all of the self test sounds?  Could be that playing a certain sound, like the BOOM at the end of the startup test, might be causing issues...

Peace!
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline subzero

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • subzero New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
JtWine,
thanks for your comments.
As far as the voltage, the +5 volts (posts) read at 4.93 volts.  I tested both boards on the voltage.  +5 volts are connected together as is the ground.  Today, I replaced both large Caps (the two at the bottom of the game) based on other feedback.  This did not solve the issue.  Since in Test mode, all the Roms/Rams register as good and the sounds all play correctly and the monitor works (as I can see everything clear on the test results), it is a bit of a puzzle.  I have checked all the connections (edge connector) and these seem good, but will be looking at that again.  I will also take a look at the power supply....4.93 is close, but perhaps it needs to be exactly 5.0?

Offline jtwine

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • jtwine New User has no influence.
  • Geek Gamer
    • My Blog Site
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »
I would try to get it to be at least 5V on the board, if not close to 5.1. Does your board have the battery, or has it been modded with a non-volatile chip?

If you have a spare CPU, swap it. CPUs can fail in odd ways, causing really strange game behavior.

Also feel around on the board for any chips that are too hot to keep a finger on.  If you find any, replace them.
-=- James R. Twine
Google me for more info.

Offline Nepa Coin Op

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 110
  • Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!Nepa Coin Op Is leading the good life!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 03:20:46 PM »
can you post a pic of it when trying to boot ?? Ive fixed alot of these boards ... most times when it does that its the interconnect board not making good connection or low voltage ... they are power hogs ... check voltage at the furthest point on the board from the edge conn... if you havent yet jump power and ground to the test points on the board as well as tying the ground to other ground and 5v test points further down the board to help stabilize the power as best as possible ... not ass need that mod done depending on the condition of your edge con but it helps on atari stuff .

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal