New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: I bought yet another toy! - Everyone needs a lineman phone.  (Read 3716 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I bought yet another toy! - Everyone needs a lineman phone.
« on: September 14, 2016, 09:43:35 AM »
So I'm trolling on ebay, and of course, the ebay Gods know what I've bought and then present me with items that I "may be interested in."
Damn thing!
So I see this old grimy Bell System lineman phone (or "butt set" since it hung on your ass basically, as I've learned)  for a buy it now price of $7.99 and $12.45 shipping.
I receive it in good order (so I think) and wipe off a layer of probably 60 years of grime. I tried the dial and noticed it was a little warped... like an old 45 that sat in the sun too long! I removed it and wrapped some heavy paper around it and "viced" it back to shape, and reattached it.
I decided to take off the entire dial mechanism to see what was behind it. The way the phone was put together I thought you'd remove the screws and the entire thing would "half" itself but I realized the center part and receiver were fused together.  The dial easily came off with just three screws and... of course... it wasn't wired to anything! Hmmm this phone isn't  going to work, I thought.
I could see inside the hole that the dial mount was on, and that there were some wires inside but I couldn't fish them out. I posted on the classicrotaryphones forum and they gave me advice that these phones are very simple and that the wires may likely have just been stuffed inside. But I still didn't know how to get in there. I removed the three long screws from the receiver part and noticed the entire top was more "rubberyier" than the rest and that it would pry. Sooooooooooo I took a chance and pried! The backing mount piece did move once I pulled on each half, and I was able to remove it and indeed found the wires hiding in there, behind where the backing mount was.
A nice member of CRP put up a manual for me and I saw how it was wired and with a little help - got it wired. During the process, one wire just fell off of a metal square that sits inside the handle. Inside that square is where one of the round connectors (on the end of a transmitter wire) sits inside, held by a set screw. It's amazing how solid these are/were built. I got that soldered back on, the metal square back in and the pin back inside that. I wired up the dial, put it together, plugged it in and ... drum roll... nothing! Dead. Then I flipped the Y and G wires, put it back together and plugged in and got a working phone. It dials out, transmits and receives with great audio quality.
I went through it one more time and snugged all the screws, then cleaned the hell out of it and it looks great now.
Here's my before and after shots.
Oh... last picture is of a little device I acquired about 30 years ago and am very happy I kept!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:21:47 PM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: I bought yet another toy! - Everyone needs a lineman phone.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »
 :lol:  Hey looky there, it's the Wichita Lineman!   :propeller:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
 :waving_flag: I am a lineman for the county and I drive the main road.  :waving_flag:
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »
:waving_flag: I am a lineman for the county and I drive the main road.  :waving_flag:

Atta boy Glen!
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
Saw Glen in concert years ago... it was great.

Well here's some additional information on the word butt-set.

"The term "butt-in" and "butt-out" came from telephone terminology. The reason for the name Butt-set, is that this device is named after the inventor Mr. Buttinsky. I have seen cut sheets from Graybar for Harris -Dracon TS-21 sets that refer to them as Buttinsky's.  The telephone industry was one of the largest employers, so it is not surprising that many phone-related terms became common usage."

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:17 PM »
Saw Glen in concert years ago... it was great.

Well here's some additional information on the word butt-set.

"The term "butt-in" and "butt-out" came from telephone terminology. The reason for the name Butt-set, is that this device is named after the inventor Mr. Buttinsky. I have seen cut sheets from Graybar for Harris -Dracon TS-21 sets that refer to them as Buttinsky's.  The telephone industry was one of the largest employers, so it is not surprising that many phone-related terms became common usage."

I'm sure that is factual, I once read a story about a man who worked for the Webster Dictionary company. He verified every new definition and it's origin, that was his job. His name was Horschitt, but he didn't believe anybody and sadly lost his job in a very short time. Sorry for Butting in!  :rotfl:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
 :agreepost:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal