New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Buying New Laptop questions???  (Read 4704 times)

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Buying New Laptop questions???
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:34:39 AM »
Looking to buy a new laptop to replace my HP Pavilion dv6 (I think it's abut 8 years old), that has a few keys sticking and is slow loading internet pages.   I mostly use my laptop for internet searches and email, no gaming.  I just want to get something that faster, I'm tired of waiting on screens to load.  I don't want to overkill/over spend.

Any suggestions on what I need? 

thanks
Bob

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
Re: Buying New Laptop questions???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:16:22 AM »
I been buying from dell  direct , 4 times now always happy  they have outlet on web site  last 2 we got were under 300 shipped , they have coupons on the site which saves you more

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
Just make sure you get something with at least a core i3, preferabily a core i5.  If you can do the step up to an SSD instead of a hard drive, it makes a HUGE difference in the speed of the machine.  Hard drives are pathetically slow compared to SSD's and it's usually the bottleneck of a system.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!rjpohl Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
Just make sure you get something with at least a core i3, preferabily a core i5.  If you can do the step up to an SSD instead of a hard drive, it makes a HUGE difference in the speed of the machine.  Hard drives are pathetically slow compared to SSD's and it's usually the bottleneck of a system.

A guy has the computer below for $500 (said it's 3 years old).

ALL SOFTWARE FRESHLY INSTALLED.
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Microsoft Office 2016 Pro
Adobe Photoshop CC
and a Antivirus.

ASUS Rog G Series G73SW-A1 Laptop
Intel Quad-Core i7-2630QM, 8 Treads Turbo Boost 8 x 2.9 GHz
Display Size 17.3" widescreen Full HD LED, Resolution 1920 x 1080
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M, 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
Memory Ram 12 GB DDR3 4 Memory Slot Max 16 GB
Hard Drive 750 GB HDD
Optical Drive BD Combo DVD-Multi drive
WebcamHD Webcam and Microphone
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Gigabit LAN and WLAN
High Fidelity Audio Built-in speaker and subwoofer
Keyboard Full Size Numeric
3 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
1 x HDMI
1 x VGA
Built-in microphone
1 x Microphone Jack
1 x Headphone Jack
8-in-1 card reader
Battery 8-cell lithium ion
FBCLL197

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
It's a gaming laptop.   The battery life is going to be total crap.  I wouldn't buy a 3 year old gaming laptop, their components are typically heavily stressed because they are used to play high end PC games.  You can buy new stuff that would suit your needs for the same $500.00 all day long.  Here's a good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315423&cm_re=acer_gaming-_-34-315-423-_-Product

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
try here  1st
Dell Outlet dell@home.dell.com

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »
If you want the best laptop then lenovo is the one you want.
Its the only name brand computer that you can upgrade the processor on.
Dell and HP lock the BIOS to prevent processor upgrades.
The only down side is that Lenovos aren't cheap.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »
does the hard drive speed have anything to do with how fast the webpages load? 

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »
No but reloading the software to the hard drive will make the machine faster.
More memory will also speed up a computer.
Get rid of windows 10(crap).
Run windows 7!
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
Google speed differences between an SSD and a Hard drive,  it doesn't take long for you to realize what you need.

For webpages, the speed of the hard drive is just one of the components.  But here's a few observations from my own experiences:

A computer equipped with an SSD will appear several times faster than the same PC using a hard drive.   Webpages are basically downloaded in pieces from the webserver and then the computer assembles the page out of all part shortly afterwards.  This happens very fast in modern pc's.  The hard drive's speed has a lot to do with how fast the page is displayed.  This is where an SSD really shines, the load times on an SSD are 5 times faster than the fastest available hard drive.  Also SSD's have instant seek times to the information, unlike a hard drive that has to move read/write heads to the right area of the drive.  If the drive is fragmented, the read/write heads are seeking all over the drive finding the information.  There's no contest. 

The more RAM, the better.  but in modern OS's basically for web browsing and e-mail, once you go past 8GB of ram, the returns are minimal.

Go to a best buy or somewhere with a lot of laptops on display.  Use a them to browse the internet, one with an SSD and one without.  Reboot the machines.  Load various programs. An SSD and memory are basically the best investment you can make on a new PC.  I would never buy a computer without an SSD now.

Reloading the os into the hard drive makes it faster because it defragments the drive and puts all the os parts into the same area of the drive, thus reducing seek times and thus making the machine appear faster.   As the PC ages, and updates and programs get loaded, the OS as it updates starts to get written into areas where there's space, and that space is not longer in a nice little area as it was when it was new.  So now when the machine boots up or has to access the OS areas, it has to move the read/write head all over looking for this information.  ever notice when you double click on a program and the computer sits there with an hourglass and your hard drive activity light is solidly lit?  This is what is happenning.  On an SSD, since it is all solid state, there is no moving of the read/write head looking for data, the data is found nearly instantly and thus the loading times and overall use of a pc is just as fast as it was when it was new.

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
Rick thanks for the explanation on drive speed, looks like I want a SDD.

Here's a new Lenovo with SDD on ebay for $549.  What do you guys thinks of it??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lenovo-Flex-3-1580-FHD-Touch-i7-6500U-8GB-128GB-Backlit-2-in-1-Laptop-Tablet-/152336441050?hash=item2377f59eda:g:CFkAAOSw-0xYPQd7

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »
sorry but one more question:
I just noticed: No CD/DVD Optical Drive   how do you load software???  Would internet be the only way??
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:04:39 PM by rjpohl »

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
Most of the software is available on line and is always the newest version than a CD.
If you have to you can use a flash drive or USB CD drive to put on software.
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline rjpohl

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »
thinking about buying the Lenvo (see reply 10 above).  Would like to know what you guys think first.  It has the SSD.

Thanks
Bob

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
When purchasing a laptop you want to get :
1st the fastest processor you can afford
2nd the most ram that the OS can use
3rd the biggest SSD you can afford
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal