New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Broken C425 on 044 board--Can it be fixed?  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Fourbyracer

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Fourbyracer New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Broken C425 on 044 board--Can it be fixed?
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:38:46 PM »
So I pressed a little hard trying to unsolder a leaking varta battery that just wouldnt budge, and ended up hitting this little guy (C425) and knocking it off the board.  Its so damn small you can barely see it but my question is, is my board a throwaway or can it be fixed?

Any assistance is much appreciated--very bummed.

The board is an 044 board, 75704402W Rev B

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Broken C425 on 044 board--Can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »
Are you removing the varta battery altogether or are you going to replace it?  Either way I think it will work without C425.  Plug it in and see.

Offline Fourbyracer

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 07:02:45 AM »
Are you removing the varta battery altogether or are you going to replace it?  Either way I think it will work without C425.  Plug it in and see.

Per an earlier thread that I saw you comment in, the "75704402W Rev B" board doesnt need the Varta to work.  So I took it off completely because it was starting to leak.  Just didnt want to blow anything up by plugging in the damaged board.   If you think it will work, I will give it a shot as I have no idea what it C425 does.

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:49 AM »
It's a capacitor used as a filter in the Telltale battery circuit.  Since you're getting rid of it the component wouldn't be used anymore anyhow.  Don't forget to remove U24 along with the battery.  BTW the fastest and easiest way I've found to remove the varta battery is with a pair of pliers.  Use them to twist the battery back and forth a bit and the metal tabs will break off the battery flush with the circuit board. 

Offline Fourbyracer

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »
OK so U24 also needs to go--I see that in the other threads now.  It has 3 solder points on the top, and I haven't taken the board off to look underneath yet.  Any advice on removing that one?

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »
Just cut the three leads on one side with a small pair of dikes .. maybe I should say diagonal cutters. Lift up and move back and forth until it breaks off.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
.....pair of dikes .. maybe I should say diagonal cutters......

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
.....pair of dikes .. maybe I should say diagonal cutters......

:wave: back at her - lol

Offline Fourbyracer

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Just cut the three leads on one side with a small pair of dikes .. maybe I should say diagonal cutters. Lift up and move back and forth until it breaks off.

Copy that.  Thanks guys, I will post back to let you know if it works without C425 or not.   :cool_thumb_up:

Online Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
Did it work out for you?  I posted a video on Youtube showing how I remove the battery and U24.  I put the link in the original thread here:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=4092.msg89837#new

Offline Fourbyracer

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »
I removed U24, but havent had a chance to keychip the board and set it up again.  Work just gets in the way!  Hopefully this weekend.   :thank_you:

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 06:40:53 AM »
BTW the fastest and easiest way I've found to remove the varta battery is with a pair of pliers.
i would recommend anyone choosing to use this method to remove the battery be very careful. i have had 3 customers in the last year bring me boards that were damaged because they tried this. if you don't have the proper tools or skills to remove the battery (i use my re-flow station) you may want to check into an electronics repair shop or slot repair shop near you that does. my price to remove the battery is a lot cheaper than my price for board repair and even cheaper still than the price i would charge to sell you a new board.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal