New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: SIMM switch question  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Ramiro83

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Ramiro83 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
SIMM switch question
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
Just wondering, what are the switches for on the top right of the SIMM?

Do they do anything if you change the switch from on to off?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:19:49 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: SIMM switch question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:32:31 PM »
They are used when programming the simm.
Do not change them they will not do anything different  in your machine.
You can also ruin the simm if you try them in a machine with the switches changed.

Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Buzz

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 02:38:36 AM »
Rich  Actually the dip switch's have nothing to do with programing. What they do is they tell the machine which PXLF file is programed into which simm. ( I know what I'm trying to say and it isn't coming out in a way that makes any sense )

Let me try it a different way. Example a 3902 board has three PXLF simm slots, and it make no difference which simm is installed in which slot as Long as the dip switches are set telling the board which file is programed into which simm. Now that I said that I always put the lowest numbered simm into the lowest numbered slot, but you don't have to. I won't bet the farm on this statement but I seem to recall installing a game that only had one PXLF simm and I installed it with the dip switches set all wrong and the game played.

Attached are the instruction Eric sent me when I bought my simm burner. Notice he goes into detail about setting the dip switched on a 8 MEG simm before programing, but I've found the 8 MEG will program no matter what the dips are set at.

They will do something different if you cange the dip switch settings, they won't work !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:08:24 AM by Buzz »
PUT BRAIN IN GEAR BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN MOTION

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:21 AM »
Interesting.  Remember the simm you gave me when I was out in your area a while back, it would not play in my machines until I moved the dip switches to match my other simms. This was true for 500 series and legacy.

The point to Ramiro is by switching them you will not get any additional sounds.

Good information Buzz thanks.

Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
dip switch settings according to the schematic.
not 100% sure what it all means

-- SWITCH SETTING --    ---MEMORY RANGE---
4    3      2   1                 
ON OFF ON OFF             4A000000 to 4A7FFFFF
ON OFF OFF ON             4A800000 to 4A8FFFFF     8 MByte
ON OFF OFF OFF           4B000000 to 4B7FFFFF     DECODER
ON OFF ON ON              4C000000 to 4C7FFFFF

OFF ON ON ON             4A000000 to 4AFFFFFF
OFF ON ON OFF           4B000000 to 4BFFFFFF      16 MByte
OFF ON OFF ON            4C000000 to 4CFFFFFF    DECODER

OFF OFF OFF ON          MULTIMEDIA 2 (OLDER 8MB GAMES)
OFF OFF OFF OFF         MULTIMEDIA 2 (8MB & 16MB)

Offline Buzz

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:15:11 PM »
Interesting.  Remember the simm you gave me when I was out in your area a while back, it would not play in my machines until I moved the dip switches to match my other simms. This was true for 500 series and legacy.

The point to Ramiro is by switching them you will not get any additional sounds.

Good information Buzz thanks.

Rich

Rich I never send a game to someone that hasn't been tested in one of my machines, but that doesn't always hold true with just a sound simm. In order to test a sound simm I would have to have that game already made. It's quite possible that the simm I gave you had just been burned and I never look at the dip switch setting until I install the game. I have never seen a sound simm that didn't need all dip switches turned off.

Here's some food for thought. Lets use a DSV00042 bin file, it has a check sum of E9F2 ( you can read a simm using a hex editor program exactly like you would read a eprom ) If I program a DSV00042 with all the dip switches set at the wrong settings. The simm burner I have first erases the simm then program's the file you gave it, then it verifies that it was programed correctly. Now without changing any of the dip switches I can by using the burner read and save that file. If I check that file using a Hex editor the check sum it will see is E9F2
PUT BRAIN IN GEAR BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN MOTION

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:06:06 PM »
Maybe the SIMM burner access the memory directly?  The switches look Like they control the behavior of the cpld. I wish I had a jtag device maybe we could boundary scan the cpld.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal