New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Theory of Sound SIMMs, SB chips, and Sound Variations  (Read 5946 times)

Offline foster

• The S2000 Guru
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • foster New User barely matters.foster New User barely matters.
Theory of Sound SIMMs, SB chips, and Sound Variations
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »
Originally by Yoeddy1

Hey Everyone,

If we get enough folks that can confirm that this solution works, we might want to make this a sticky topic as this topic has been covered many times in various posts.

Over the past several months, many of us have found out that different sound SIMM's will work with various games.  For example, a couple of years ago, I found out by accident that a Mummy sound SIMM would work in my 3CM Double Diamond Deluxe, but not with a 2CM Double Diamond Deluxe.  So what gives?  Why do certain games come up with an "Incompatible Sound SIMM" type of an error with all sound SIMMs except with the one that has been developed for the specific theme?  Why do other games work with various sound SIMMs without limitation?  A good question for IGT developers, but for those that want to dig in and mix up the sounds, read on!

What we do know is that SBs (base chips) that are numbered as SB1000XX or SB10000X (XX or X being numbers other than 0) appear to accommodate various sound SIMMs and will not produce an error.  This may not be true for all SB chips that fall into this numbering, but below are a few that I have confirmed that work:

SB100021 Bonus Sizzling Sevens 3CM
SB100087 Sizzling Sevens 3CM
SB100089 Double Diamond Deluxe 3CM
SB100009 Triple Lucky Sevens 3CM, Triple Butterfly Sevens 3CM, Triple Red Hot Sevens 3CM, Triple Stars 3CM
SB100097 Crystal Sevens 3CM
There may be others...

My MPU has the following chipset:
SG000363 GME 1&2 chips
VS011GX1 Version chips

Any of these games seem to work fine with alternate sound SIMMs with this configuration.

Now...the part that gets confusing is that some folks, including myself, have noticed that the spin sounds may alternate and sometimes they may play the same spin sound over and over with no variation.  Why is that?  The thought was that the GME chips or Version chips might control this behavior.  Now some games will automatically produce alternating spin sounds and will not require any user intervention at all...Munsters, Mummy, I Dream of Jeannie, and even the good ol "preferred" sounds on the DSV00042 sound SIMM.

Here's a scenario for those that want to tinker.  Let's say I setup Triple Lucky Sevens with my SB100009 SB chip, but I want to install either a Wheel of Fortune (DSV00092) or a Megabucks (DSV00008) sound SIMM to mix things up a bit.  I power off my machine, install the SB100009 SB chip, install the desired sound SIMM, power the machine on and wait for the alarm, turn the jackpot key 4 times, hold MPU test button for 2-3 seconds, close the door, and I should be good to go right?  This is true, but in my experience, the game is only going to produce the same spin sound over and over.

So how do I get the game to produce alternating spin sounds that reside on the sound SIMM you ask?

Do the same thing as above, but this time, dig out your trusty DSV00042 sound SIMM.  In other words I power off my machine, install the SB100009 SB chip, install the DSV00042 SIMM, power the machine on and wait for the alarm, turn the jackpot key 4 times, hold MPU test button for 2-3 seconds, close the door.  Open the door, press the MPU test button, configure the spin, rollup, etc sound settings to "Preferred", exit out of the menus, and close the door. 

Play the game a few times.  Power off the machine.

Now take out the MPU again, take out the DSV00042 sound SIMM and replace it with the Wheel of Fortune (DSV00092), Megabucks (DSV00008), or whatever sound SIMM.  Power your machine back up.  When you play the machine, you should notice that the spin sounds will now alternate the sounds.
I have no idea why this works, but it’s almost as if the installation of the SB chip and the DSV00042 as a starting point, sets a sound path default to memory (somewhere), and when other SIMMs are installed after the initial installation with the DSV00042, those other SIMMs will follow the same path.  How’s that for some technical BS?

Anyway, give this a try if you have a chance, and hopefully this sound voodoo will work for others!

I just picked up a SB100021 Bonus Sizzling Sevens 3CM and a DSV00015.  When I first installed it, I could only get one spin sound to play, and that got old really quick.  After running through the process above with the DSV00042, a whole bunch of new spin sounds were unlocked once I put the DSV00015 back in!  Success!   applause

Below is a video which reflects the spin sounds when SB100021 and DSV00015 are setup with a new installation WITHOUT using the DSV00042 fix.  Notice that the spin sound is the same every time?

BONUS SIZZING 7'S ~ [url=http://www.BettorSlots.com]www.BettorSlots.com

For those that want to investigate EVERY possible sound that resides on any sound SIMM, perform the following:

Turn the jackpot key once
Hit the Cash Out button twice to get to 4 I/O Tests
Hit the Spin Reels button
Hit the Cash Out button once to get to 4.4 Sound Test
Hit the Cash Out button once to get to 4.4.2 MMLB Sound File Test
Use the Cash Out and Change buttons to move left or right through each of the sound files.  Use the Spin Reels button to play the sound file.

When you are done playing with the sound files, hit the Play X Credits button several times to exit out of the menus.  The reels will spin and the game will be ready to play.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:00:04 AM by Joeylc »
Coca-Cola and Slot Machine Addict

If you find this site helpful
Please Consider Making a Donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth. OR Subscribe to NLG

Offline BiggerHammer

• Reputation Power: 23
  • BiggerHammer New User barely matters.BiggerHammer New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: Theory of Sound SIMMs, SB chips, and Sound Variations
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
I can attest that this fix did not work for me. Original S2000 Bonus Sizzling 7's, SB100021 with DSV00015. Could only get 1 repeating reel spin sound, the same one in the video above. I tried 598, 523 and 363 GME's but still not luck. Every time that I would remove the DSV00042 and insert the DSV00015, i'd get one partial spin with a new sound then machine would freeze with "call Attendant". Turn key tree times close door etc... after that, it would erase any credits and return to regular DSV00015 single reel spin sound and refuses to play the other 5 reel spin sounds.

Jason, do you remember if you were running a 502/504 board? I'm running a 1270 enhanced- maybe that's the difference. I don't know but it's driving me freeking nuts!!

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 234
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 07:17:26 AM »
I can attest that this fix did not work for me. Original S2000 Bonus Sizzling 7's, SB100021 with DSV00015. Could only get 1 repeating reel spin sound, the same one in the video above. I tried 598, 523 and 363 GME's but still not luck. Every time that I would remove the DSV00042 and insert the DSV00015, i'd get one partial spin with a new sound then machine would freeze with "call Attendant". Turn key tree times close door etc... after that, it would erase any credits and return to regular DSV00015 single reel spin sound and refuses to play the other 5 reel spin sounds.

Jason, do you remember if you were running a 502/504 board? I'm running a 1270 enhanced- maybe that's the difference. I don't know but it's driving me freeking nuts!!

Did not work for me either. I just tried the same thing on 1270 board with 523's, SB100021 with DSV00015 and it did the exact same thing.

Offline mvco

• Reputation Power: 26
  • mvco New User barely matters.mvco New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 08:15:11 AM »
I have played around with these sound simms for quite awhile now.  My observation is that it does not work well with a 1270 board.  Using 504 B's, I have got it to work every time. 

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
I have played around with these sound simms for quite awhile now.  My observation is that it does not work well with a 1270 board.  Using 504 B's, I have got it to work every time.

Are you using 363's with the 504 board?

Offline dale

• Reputation Power: 22
  • dale New User barely matters.dale New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
I wonder if the fact that some simms are 16mg and some 8mg that would make a difference.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
Works like a charm on 504 board with 363's.  :yes: :yes:

Offline mvco

• Reputation Power: 26
  • mvco New User barely matters.mvco New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »
Like the last says, works 100% of the time with a 504 running 363's. 

The big thing to remember, put that 42 simm first after changing the SB to "unlock" all the reel spin sounds.

If you forget, and your game is only playing one reel melody, simply install a different SB chip, clear errors, then go back and put your SB in that you want sounds from, clear errors, play a dozen games with a 42 installed.  Then switch out to whatever simm you like. 

Some of my favorite combo's,
The Mummy in a Double Diamond Deluxe  (supports reel nudge sounds too)
Richard Petty in a Double 10 Times Pay
Wild Thing Cowgirl in a Double Diamond Haywire.  (could also use a dedicated Cow Girl SB chip as the paytable is the same)
Cleopatra in a Triple Cash
Wheel Of Fortune, in just about anything.

8 meg, or 16 meg, does not seem to make a difference, both work with a 504 board.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »
Well my machine locked up after about 20 spins, went back thru the steps and it locked up again after about 20 spins.  Playing now with just same spin sound and machine playing fine for over 20 minutes.  :Scratch-Head:

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
504B is all I have ever used and tested.  Works with that board for sure.

Thanks,
Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline BiggerHammer

• Reputation Power: 23
  • BiggerHammer New User barely matters.BiggerHammer New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 08:00:43 PM »
Well my machine locked up after about 20 spins, went back thru the steps and it locked up again after about 20 spins.  Playing now with just same spin sound and machine playing fine for over 20 minutes.  :Scratch-Head:

Good thing I read this before going thru the hassle of converting this machine over to 504B. Maybe it didn't like your 363's. Can you try it with 523 or 598?

Offline mikec200

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mikec200 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 06:27:14 AM »
So from some insights I have on the s2000 software GMEs 313, 362 and 363, I would say Foster has it about right.  Its a memory mapping thing.  The sound simm location is likely stored into the battery backed sram memory after initial setup. So swapping the simm after that might not be picked up. It would pass a crc check and if the crc of the orginal simm isnt compared to the current simm crc on each bootup it is entirely possible to get away with swapping simms and getting other sounds to play as the layout from simm to simm is probably fairly common from a memory location standpoint.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal