New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS 40X Power supply conversion..  (Read 12557 times)

Offline eng50

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • eng50 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
WMS 40X Power supply conversion..
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »
I apologize in advance, I am a new member and have tried searching for the conversion process but can't find it.  When I googled it this forum came up as listing a sticky for the ATX power supply conversion.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I have a Big Bang Piggy Banking machine with a dimming dotmation and have been told to solve the power supply issues by installing an ATX.  If this is not good information please advise what would be better..

Thank you!

Bill
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:57:59 PM by knagl »

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: WMS 40X Power supply conversion..
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »
I could swear that the WMS Dotmation power supply conversions were posted here -- I wonder what happened to them.

No matter, you can find them in the WMS Reel section of the archive site at http://www.newlifegames.net/ .

As far as your dimming screen, however, some dimming is natural over time and is a symptom of a failing dot matrix display ("DMD") panel, not a failure of the power supply.  Typically when a Dotmation power supply goes bad, it just dies completely.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline eng50

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:56:48 PM »
I know this will sound stupid but the old site no longer has any pictures and I am a visual learner and like to make very sure I am doing the steps correctly.  Would anyone in here who has done the conversion be willing to help me through it?  I would be glad to donate to the site for any such help! 

Thank you

Bill

Offline Mk1Mod0

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Mk1Mod0 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?PHPSESSID=ac79c55df15e77806fe8bb0dfce5736f&topic=346.0

I just did a simpler version of this last week and my machine is humming right along nicely. Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Shawn

Offline eng50

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:37:30 PM »
Ok read it all several times, seems very do able…

Two Questions:

This only replaces the lower power supply?  Is there a way to have it power both upper and lower?

And a little confused on the testing phase if I don't have a bad I/O board to use..any thoughts or clarifications would be great. 

Thank you so much!!

Bill

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:49:14 PM »
The upper power supply board that's inside the dotmation enclosure is only a 12vdc supply. So you can add a cheap pc computer power supply up there behind the dot matrix enclosure and connect its 12vdc output in place of the original upper power supply board. OR you can run 2 wires from the lower power supply to bring 12vdc up to the dotmation enclosure, but your lower power supply will need to be hoss enough to run all that is connected to its 12vdc output.

Depending on where you live you can get a pc computer power supply for pretty cheap, often under $20, so I'd just put a second power supply in the upper area. But one of the writeups on the old NLG website showed how to run the whole thing off one pc power supply located in the bottom part of the machine.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Mk1Mod0

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
You should have a few extra 12v and ground wires on an ATX supply after supplying the bottom half. With a couple feet of spare wire you can power the upper portion of the machine as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
Ok read it all several times, seems very do able…

Two Questions:

This only replaces the lower power supply?  Is there a way to have it power both upper and lower?

And a little confused on the testing phase if I don't have a bad I/O board to use..any thoughts or clarifications would be great. 

Thank you so much!!

Bill

It's been a while since I read the how-to on the old NLG site. They were probably referring to using a bad I/O board for testing your power supply mod so you wouldn't fry a good I/O board. The writeup may have said to remove the CPU and I/O boards while doing the mod and test it before reinstalling the boards.

If you don't have a bad I/O board you can double-check everything and make sure you got the wires connected properly. If you have a meter you can measure the voltages to see if they are correct. Then you can put your good I/O board in the machine and turn on power. All 5 lights on the I/O board front right corner should come on. Each one of them represents a different voltage, written on the board next to the light is the voltage the light monitors. So if one of the lights is off then power down and see which voltage is bad.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
Here is a different but informative thread on the old site that covers the same topic. Both threads you've been given links to have pictures and text. This one shows how to run the lower and upper area from just one pc computer power supply. It is fairly detailed, be sure to read all the way thru, you'll see how the dotmation box in upper area is connected to the lower power supply replacement. You wouldn't have to do the connections exactly as outlined as long as the wires are connected correctly. He used modified connectors rather than splices or wire nuts so he could easily disconnect stuff at a later time if needed.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=90.0

Also, I agree with Kevin above, if your dot matrix display is getting dim then that may not be the upper power supply. If you have a meter you can measure the upper power supply output, see if it is 12vdc. If it does measure 12vdc then your dot matrix screen may be going bad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:48:02 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline eng50

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
Ok, I have ordered the Molex parts and am curious, since you have to disconnect the power supply in the main box by disconnecting the harness to it, it makes sense to me to use that harness that you are disconnecting as your "add in" harness if that makes sense.  Did any of you do this?  I am never going to put an original power supply back in and all the wire colors are there and the correct number of wires are there just have to cut off the two original connectors and add the molex and solder the other side.  I can take pictures if that helps the explanation…

Side note I hope the I/O board isn't fried, when I turn the machine on with the original supply I get the outer most 2 LEDs lit on the I/O board and one of the middle ones kind of flickers.  I will report back with what happens after the power supply conversion..

Thank you!

Bill

Offline Mk1Mod0

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »
On mine I just cut off the wires that were going to the ATX supply and soldered them directly leaving the remainder of the wires in the plug and plugged in to the PDU. You still need the bottom part of the lower section of the PDU to distribute the 115 from the transformer.

Offline eng50

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
Please help!!

I have completed the power supply "upgrade" and followed the directions for the upper and lower on one power supply as linked.  (Using a 500 watt ATX power supply since I was powering both)

Heres what I have now:

4 lights on the I/O board lit (of the five on the front right)  The 12 v+ is the one that is not lit.  When I meter my wiring specifically the yellow wire from factory supply to back board I have a solid 12v+ so Im not seeing an issue there, and while testing voltages all the rest prove out at the harness as appropriate as well.  The only other LED on the I/O board on the very left front is also lit and it has error printed on board below it.

The machine turns on, the DMD goes through its prom loading sequence and I get no 'bong' (or any sound for that matter, and yes the parts are all installed and were working last it functioned)  the machine lights all come on, the bill validator cycles as normal, but then there is no movement of the reels at all, and no LEDs lit on the front of the cabinet where you would read any fault codes. 

I have a replacement coin comparator coming as that seemed to be the start of the issues as it had a whisp of smoke come from it when the machine quit..Ill plug that up but don't think thats the main issue here, but Ill try it.

Please help I am at a complete loss here…Any thoughts tests, help gladly accepted..

Thank you!

Bill

Offline Mk1Mod0

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »
Double check with this picture that you powered all the nesc wires. One of the -12vdc is not yellow.  (Blue wire.)

Offline eng50

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »
So here is what I think happened..in trying to solve my power supply issues, prior to doing the conversion, I swapped around multiple different spare ones I had..well I believe I put an upper PS into the main PS..and fried the IO Board!..

Lesson well learned. I will be able to verify that this is the problem when I plug in a new IO board I ordered today.  All the appropriate voltages are now where they need to be (since I have completed the PS upgrade)  Fingers crossed this was the only damage…

See below for pics of my IO Board…

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
Oh yes, Jay's old escaped gas theory...
 :burningresistor:
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline eng50

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
Thats one way to describe it!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
So here is what I think happened..in trying to solve my power supply issues, prior to doing the conversion, I swapped around multiple different spare ones I had..well I believe I put an upper PS into the main PS..and fried the IO Board!..

Lesson well learned. I will be able to verify that this is the problem when I plug in a new IO board I ordered today.  All the appropriate voltages are now where they need to be (since I have completed the PS upgrade)  Fingers crossed this was the only damage…

See below for pics of my IO Board…

What's your plan for your old I/O board? I'm wondering if it's repairable? 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal