New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Magnetic coil behind coin mech  (Read 7518 times)

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Magnetic coil behind coin mech
« on: April 24, 2015, 06:36:37 AM »
Has anyone ever had one of these coils go bad? Mine is on an old s/s machine and it started "chattering" the other day. That causes an error and shuts down play. The bracket says 50 v.a.c. checking the 2 wires running to it it's supplying a steady 60v. I'm not sure what it's even called other than old magnetic coil. The magnet energizes but drops and picks up constantly. Sounds like a Woodpecker. Thanks in advance.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
Re: Magnetic coil behind coin mech
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:02:35 AM »
Sure, it's a coin reject coil (that's what I call it anyway, lol). Sometimes they go out completely, and sometimes they just Wont shut up!

If its chattering, but still has proper voltage, there are ways to quiet them. Try a Search, if you havent. It maybbe on old site? Clean the contacts, and tighten down the mounting paper, and I think there's a trick with a piece of paper shoved somewhere!

Roz
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
Sure, it's a coin reject coil (that's what I call it anyway, lol). Sometimes they go out completely, and sometimes they just Wont shut up!

If its chattering, but still has proper voltage, there are ways to quiet them. Try a Search, if you havent. It maybbe on old site? Clean the contacts, and tighten down the mounting paper, and I think there's a trick with a piece of paper shoved somewhere!

Roz

Thanks I will do just that. I forget about the old site as I was never on there. I'll see what I can find.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:13:43 AM »
No problem. Oh, the old site is where all the good info is!  :cool_thumb_up:

If you don't get it to quiet down, I have them for sale as well. Just email if you need one.

Roz

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
... and I think there's a trick with a piece of paper shoved somewhere!

Roz

You shove the paper in your ears...then you don't hear the noise anymore! :rotfl:
Sorry but had to add that... Friday funnies!

I've carefully sprayed lubricating contact cleaner (power off!) on and around those coils and the buzzing stopped or was reduced greatly.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
If this is the solenoid coil on the back of the coin comparitor making the noise then a home slot user can clip one wire going to the solenoid making noise to make it go quiet. Then you wedge a folded piece of paper under the rake on back of coin comparitor to get it out of the way so inserted coins will drop right thru.

If this is the coin diverter solenoid that sends coins to the overflow bucket when the hopper is full then you can cut one wire going to it and force the diverter to stay in position by tying it in place so coins go to hopper.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:53:30 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
... and I think there's a trick with a piece of paper shoved somewhere!

Roz

You shove the paper in your ears...then you don't hear the noise anymore! :rotfl:
Sorry but had to add that... Friday funnies!

I've carefully sprayed lubricating contact cleaner (power off!) on and around those coils and the buzzing stopped or was reduced greatly.

I tried putting my fingers in my ears but can't get the coins in with my toes!

I can't clip or in my case unhook one of the wires as that causes an error on the machine and stops play. It's not really a buzzing more like an old typewriter with a 300 word per minute typist.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:58:21 PM by Shaggy »

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
The contact cleaner didn't help and put a piece of duct tape over the hole to hold the pin in but that causes an immediate error. When powered up it clicks after about 5 seconds and everything comes to life. But a few seconds later the coil taps about 3 or 4 times then like it goes dead and the machine starts beeping which is the error code.  :banghead:    Maybe time for a new timex. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Offline SolidSilver

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!SolidSilver Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »
Actually, unless you really have players attempting to scam you with steel slugs,
the easiest fix is to disconnect the durn thing.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:23:33 AM »
If I unhook it, the machine reads it as an error and you can't clear it. I wish I could as this a home play machine.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »
What model machine is this?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 01:43:40 PM »
It's my old Summit Coin Ltd. machine. A different breed of horse for sure. Roz says she has one, hopefully that will fix it.

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 01:49:27 PM »
Yep, you should see it in Monday's mail. Bally and Summit both use 50v in the door.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
Sounds great, Thanks.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »
Got the coil today hooked it up cleared the initial error and it works perfect. Thanks again Roz  :applause: We got this old girl running again.
Dave

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 02:13:26 PM »
Shaggy- I was wondering how the Summit machine knows if that coil is unhooked/disconnected and it gives an error? Does the coil have a set of switch contacts that are used for sensing the coil working or some other way to know?

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 02:27:34 PM »
That's a very good question and I can't answer it. The other coil would throw a constant error. This coil installed doesn't, even if I unplug one side. I'd love to be a big optimist but I guess time will tell if this comes back again. Until then I'll play it and see what happens.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal