New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: CEI video poker hold lights 3,4 and 5 do not light  (Read 12112 times)

Offline tomco

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • tomco New User has no influence.
  • NLG
CEI video poker hold lights 3,4 and 5 do not light
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
  :Scratch-Head: My machine works great except for the hold buttons 3,4 and 5 don't light. Hold buttons 1 and 2 work fine. The function of all the buttons work, except for the three not lighting. I've swapped the bulbs between the working and non-working, and all bulbs are good.
 The machine has a 904 board 8200080 rev. "E"  s/n L810 and the software is 24.01-.05. Not sure where the previous owner got that information from.
 As I said the machine works fine, but I would like to have everything operating if possible. So any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
Re: CEI video poker hold lights 3,4 and 5 do not light
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
If the bulbs and sockets are good, first place I would look is at the Molex plug on the door hinge side. Thats where all the wires from the front door go thru. I have more connection problems that I could have figured out earlier, if I just checked the Molex plugs first.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I've been busy all day, but will start checking all molex connections tomorrow. Funny thing I forgot to mention in original post when I pulled the harness down and the lights from the sockets even though they did not light and flash I could see the element within the bulbs glow orange as if receiving low voltage. Whats up with that??????

Thanks
Tom

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
I'm not a CEI/Cal Omega expert BUT,

Some machines have what is called a KAR board. It plugs into the backplane. It is a simple board with several resistors. The purpose of the KAR board is to always keep a small amount of electricity flowing thru the button lamps, so they will last much longer. When a lamp is suddenly turned on from being truly off the filament expands rapidly from the surge or inrush of current and fatigues it. After a while the bulb filament burns out. The KAR board helps with this problem. KAR stands for Keep Alive Resistor board. Machines with a KAR board will have the button lamps slightly on when in the OFF mode. When the lamp is switched on it works normally. This likely explains what you saw.

If you stand near a table lamp with a clear glass light bulb that is off, in a brightly lit room and turn on the lamp while your face is near the bulb you can watch the bulb filament bend or twitch when it first comes on. Not as exciting as watching Jurrasic World but it is neat. That stuff about metal expanding when it's temp rises is true. That's why some lamp filaments are wound in a spiral, to lessen this fatiguing due to expansion. The lamps used in high reliability circuits have filaments like that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:39:44 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »
Thank you for the information on the KAR board. I'm learning as I continue to troubleshoot this issues with my machine.

Tom

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:53:50 PM »
Thank you for the information on the KAR board. I'm learning as I continue to troubleshoot this issues with my machine.

Tom

So does your machine actually have the KAR board? I assume it does but many do not. If so it is something to check (along with the wiring and connectors) to figure out your button lamp problem. The KAR board can be easily unplugged from the backplane and looked at carefully to make sure it doesn't have any problem.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline The Fatman

• The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »
Heck .... I am learning too ... keep it up ... but not too long. I want to see your machine fixed.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »
Yes it has a KAR board, and it appears it has some issues. One resistor looks cracked and the 75ohm square resister next to it has a loose solder joint. Time for a trip to the electronic's store. See attached pix.

Thanks again for everyone's help
Tom

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
Yep, looks like time & heat have taken a toll. Since there is electricity flowing thru these resistors for a lot of the time they do get warm and cause discoloration to the circuit board. If possible you can reduce this by raising the resistors up off the board so that there is an air gap under them, especially the white rectangular resistors since they are higher wattage (heat). Even a small gap is better than having the resistor touching the board. Don't want to break the resistor doing this, so be gentle. The discoloration to the board is not a big problem for the board itself, but it blocks part of the heat trying to get off the resistor, making the resistor run hotter overall, plus it makes one side of the resistor hotter than the other. This can cause stress fractures to occur.

This KAR board may not be what's causing your button lamp problem but it is something needing repair. If you have a meter I'd measure each resistor and make sure they are ok. Some of them have been heated enough to make it hard to see the color bands. Let us know how it goes and we'll go from there.

Something to be aware of in case it is needed. Notice that all of the resistors on the side of the board away from the connector are connected to each other by a common board trace on the back of the board. If the old solder pads on that trace are not reliable you can run a wire on the component side from each resistor leg to the next one, looping it once around each resistor leg and then solder lightly. This will connect them reliably. Do this if you feel it is needed. My artwork in the photo below sucks but maybe you can see what I mean.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:42:16 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
Thanks again for everyone's help and advise. I'll be chasing parts tomorrow, and if i complete the repair I will post the results. I also plan to contribute to the support of this forum, without it I have no idea where to start.

Tom

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 12:52:23 PM »
 Okay, repaired KAR board and checked resistance, all is good. Re-installed and no change, lights still non operational. I did trace the green wire from the last three lights that don't flash to the molex connector on the back circuit board and with a jumper lead I jumped isolating the harness with no change. I then connected the brown wire which activates the first two lights to the green and all lights started flashing as they should. This makes me think (and I know how dangerous that is). Is there an IC on the mother board that is a driver for flashing lights? Or another thought would it overload the circuit if I jumpered from the brown to the green lead. I'm think'in there's a reason they didn't wire it that way when they designed the machine. I'm open for additional suggestions and comments.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »
Did the lights used to work or have they ever worked?  Keep in mind that different game boards/software/firmware control and determine the outcome with game hardware functionality.  I'd be interested to know what a different board in that game would do.  I had a CEI game years ago, and while my board was being repaired, I had a loaner in my game that produced different behavior down to the buttons.

Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
Jason,

The lights didn't work when I got the machine, and I don't have any history from previous owner. He got it at an auction and when he found it didn't work he sold it cheap. I picked it up needing a project like another hole in my head, but i'm having fun fooling with it.

Tom

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Yeah, the fact that you have a small amount of voltage resident in the bulbs that aren't lighting up makes me think that all is well and that the bulbs are just waiting for the right commands to come down and light them up, which could very well happen with a different board.  Does that game have a diagnostics test menu?  Something that would trigger the lamps is what I'm getting at. 

Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 01:59:42 PM »
 Not sure new to product and I don't have any manuals or schematics.

Offline The Fatman

• NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »
Another member sent me the schematics for the 904 board. I am pretty sure he wouldn't mind me forwarding on to you if you need. Thay arent the best clarity but better than zippo.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »
Yes Dave,

If it wouldn't be to much trouble. It could only help.

tomoco1@sbcglobal.net

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 10:03:21 PM »
Okay, not having much luck with the schematic really hard to read, and my eyes are no where near what they used to be. I'm still think'in there's an IC controlling the lights flashing, but I haven't the knowledge to trace it down or for that mater test it's operation if I did find it. So i'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Tom

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »
I didn't see a circuit or ic on the motherboard schematic drawing that would flash the lights like that. But there are a lot of variations on these Col Omega/CEI machines and I'm not very familiar with them. Just to clarify, this is a video poker machine and your video poker game plays just fine on the screen, all of your buttons work when you press them to do something, the problem is just that those 3 buttons do not light up?

Oftentimes these kind of buttons are daisy-chained in series, if one wire connection is broken then a button and the others following it on the chain don't work. Did you make sure the lamp wires are ok going from the 2 buttons that work (#1 and #2) to button #3? And could the problem be a bad pushbutton #3 assembly, does the lamp voltage run thru the pushbutton internally? How hard is it to swap a couple of buttons around, like swap #1 with #3 to see what happens?

Offline tomco

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
Yes, everything else works fine. I can see the lights are wired in series, different color wires on the last three lamps than the first two, but have yet to try swapping the switches. I will get into this this afternoon and will respond with my results.
 I did use a temporary jumper on the positive leg between switch #2 and #3 which in turn lit #3,4 and 5 and flashed as required. So let me do some more checking. I want to re-trace the positive lead from the #3 switch back to the molex connector at the main board and check for voltage or at least continuity through the wire.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal