New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: SMOKE ROLLING OUT OF 5 TIMES PAY!  (Read 6065 times)

Offline ctash

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • ctash New User has no influence.
  • NLG
SMOKE ROLLING OUT OF 5 TIMES PAY!
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
I recently changed some of the incandescent bulbs over to leds. With the door open and power on, I noticed a burning plastic smell and a fair amount of smoke.  Pulled the Processor board and noticed a burnt processor chip (see pics).  Not sure what this chip controls or if its replaceable but would like to get to the bottom of this and determine if the bulbs were a factor or just a coincidence.  Thanks. (See red box for location of chip on full pic)

Offline slots4home

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 94
  • slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!slots4home Has great potential!
  • NLG
Re: SMOKE ROLLING OUT OF 5 TIMES PAY!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
Don't know for sure if those bulbs did it but you cannot replace those chips, they are soldered on that board

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
those items are not chips but transistors     they can be replaced.    will look at the schematic and tell you what may have happened.   was it just Q-5 that got fried?

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
I recently changed some of the incandescent bulbs over to leds. With the door open and power on, I noticed a burning plastic smell and a fair amount of smoke.  Pulled the Processor board and noticed a burnt processor chip (see pics).  Not sure what this chip controls or if its replaceable but would like to get to the bottom of this and determine if the bulbs were a factor or just a coincidence.  Thanks. (See red box for location of chip on full pic)

Not sure if this is your problem but something to be aware of,,,

Some brands of LED's have their wire leads done in a way that will cause a short in slot machine use. I don't remember the details but there has been much discussion about it here on NLG. Take a close look at the LED's you installed, see if the wire leads are both on the same side of the LED base, or if they are on opposite sides. That may be what happened to cause your smoke event.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ctash

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  First question, are the chips purchasable?  I have a soldering station to install a new one, but not sure if IGT or you guys have access to them.  Also, I checked the old and new bulb leads.  They are in fact different (old: 2 leads, 1 on each side, new: 4 leads, 2 on each side).  Im thinking "rokgpsman" is right in saying these new bulbs caused this problem.  If this is the case, is there a place I can find the 2 lead bulbs?  Lastly, if the chips are not replaceable, where can I get the 10MHz processor board?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
You can look on the topside of the damaged chips to get the part number (maybe) or someone with a good board can read the number for you. I think those yellow chips are resistor packs in dip package, to the right are the transistors or mosfets that actually turn the lamp on or off. Electronic parts can be purchased a lot of places, here are 2 well known ones:

www.jameco.com

http://www.mouser.com

And of course you can probably find the parts on ebay or from some slot dealers that carry parts like that.

Some wedge-style lamps and LED's are made so that their base has the 2 wire leads only on one side of the base. Other lamps have the 2 wire leads wrap around so that they are on both sides of the base.

Take a close look at the old bulb you removed and the new LED bulb, you'll see the difference. Or do a search here on NLG for something like "I installed LED bulbs and my dang machine caught fire" or similar.

Other folks here can recommend where to get LED's that work with your slot machine and also the ones that don't. In general, I've heard that LED's made for automotive use are often the type that don't work in slot machines.

Also, you may need to inspect other boards in your machine for burned traces (circuit paths), it seems like the button lighting voltage goes thru a lighting board or display board in the door, but I may have that wrong.

In the example below you can see the different way the wire leads can be done.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:34:12 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline ctash

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Okay Ill make sure to check that out.  Also, JIM, on closer inspection it looks like it may be just the Q5 transistor (Q5 has a crack in the side and solder is melted around the pins.  Black burn marks radiate away from it onto the white chip.  I believe I have some extra ones around here.  Ill see if I cant install a new one.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 04:44:23 PM »
Here's a few short threads about the type of damage that can occur if wrong style LED's are installed and what causes the problem in the first place. Some of the damage depends on what model of slot machine is involved, hopefully your damage will be limited:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=8686.msg46028#msg46028

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=5527.msg32041#msg32041

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=8337.msg73034#msg73034

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
Are you sure that "transistor" is not a Q201E3 logic level triac?
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
If you have the LED bulbs where the wire lead wraps around the bottom of the base, then you can just trim back each lead so that it's only on one side. I have done that to some I bought. They are directional. Meaning the will only light if installed in the correct dirrection.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
Are you sure that "transistor" is not a Q201E3 logic level triac?
Could be. Regardless, the number on the device will let him order the replacement.

Offline qbert

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
What color are the sockets you used. Black ones will fry parts white ones will work without a problem
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 08:03:17 PM »
Q-5 is a L201E3     acts as a switch to turn on a lamp.    Q-5   operates  the insert coin lamp. 

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline ctash

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have ordered the transistors online.  Also, the sockets are the black ones.  Will the white ones work with the 4 prong or would I still have to trim the leads?

Offline qbert

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »
If you use white sockets no trimming needed.
Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 408
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
I would like to just point out that some of the button LED lamps are too big in diameter
 and cause the button to stick.

I don't remember the actual # of the right LEDs to buy but whatever you do, don't try sanding papering the bigger LEDs down to fit because they will melt the buttons!
I did that once and and believe me - it don't work!  :arrowthruhead:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
To replace the burned triac - remove the board from it's tray - cut the body off of the triac and leave plenty of lead length sticking out of the board.

Heat each pad with a leg sticking out of it while applying solder.

When the lead starts to move in the hole keep applying heat and pull the lead out with some small needle nose pliers.

Once the lead has been removed clean the hole out with some solder wick, you may have to apply wick on both sides of the board and may have to apply more solder on top of the wick to get the burned solder to flow.

Check and make sure all PC traces are still intact with a Ohm meter.

Offline ctash

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 06:34:27 PM »
Thanks again for all the help!  Id like to get some of these white led bases that work with the 4 lead bulbs.  Where is a good spot to get these.  Thanks.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »
Try Suzo Happ online.

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
Try Suzo Happ online.
The only thing I don't like about Suzo Happ is that they want you to spend like $100 on your order. You can't just place a $10-$20 order with them.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal