New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Anyone heard of a STATUS brand Video Poker slot? CAN'T get it to do much!  (Read 36876 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

The answer lies in the photo of the mech you just posted. You have a standard Coin Mach Inc input,
probably semi-dentical to what's in your CEI.

Here's a marked-up version of that photo:
The sideways-arrow points to a slot in the coin mech.
Behind that mech should be a small solenoid that just sticks
a short pin into that slot out toward your face. The falling coin hits
the pin, and is diverted sideways into the chute noted with the
upward-pointing arrow; that chute leads to the payout tray.

Someone has removed the solenoid (probably busted); if it was
in place and dead, ALL coins would go to your payout tray.

To prove it to yourself, do two things:
1. With door open, stick a small nail into the slot and drop in a coin.
It should divert into the payout tray chute.

2. Compare the layout with your CEI.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:23:52 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

Here's comparative pics from a CEI, much like yours:
The one labeled COIN MECH has an arrow pointing to the slot
with the solenoid pin sticking out. The circles show the two latches
that permit you to hinge the coin mech down, exposing the solenoid.

The pic labeled COIN MECH IN (terrible pic, my apologies) has the coin
mech hinged down, exposing the solenoid. Note the solenoid operates a
simple swinging arm which bears a short pin.

Yours should look a whole lot like this; except the solenoid is missing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:24:16 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Yep! I pulled mine out and there was the obvious... a PLACE complete with two screw holes for a solenoid! I took a picture but forgot to bring my memory card so I'll post when I get back. I think I knew all this... so simple! Of course, now I should take the initiative and find or make a replacement part. Shouldn't be too hard?

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

...or call Coin Mech Inc at 800 323 6498, and ask for a replacement "optional Lockout solenoid"
for their Model 1700001 25-cent Back Channel Assembly. I think yours is 6 volts?

(They still make the same mechanism and spare parts applause

Here it is on their website:

http://www.coinmech.com/product_profile.cfm?id=35
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:24:43 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Thank you!!! I know this should have been the first thing to do...remove the coin mech and LOOK!
Here it is anyway.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

Y' know, every day that pretty and rare machine gets better and better, as you
track things down and fix 'em.  Pretty soon there'll be nothing left to diddle with,
and it will become boring.

When that happens, my shipping address is...  wave
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:25:12 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
The funny thing is, I have two "new" machines in the garage: my Bally Game Maker and my Status. But right now, I'm having more FUN playing the Status since I had given it up for dead. But thanks to you and Poppo and Jay and CV slots and Proten, I had the extra drive to try one more time... and now it's alive again.  Ecstatic / Top Award
I hope topics like this and the Fortune One don't die out either.

I have a new problem. Well it happened before and I though I had fixed it. Every so often, when I press cash out, it wont count the coins as they come out of the hopper. After 8 or so coins come out, the machine locks up. I can press a reset button inside and the hopper will resume and empty the coins out, and lock up again. The only way to fix it is to power off the machine. After that, the hopper resumes and the machine starts the count, and then pays out properly.
I've checked the switch that is activated when the coin pops off the roller. It works fine. I made sure I checked it during the error condition as well. As far as I can see, all the connectors to the hopper are clean.
Does anyone know what circuit is responsible to activate the counting on the MPU? There's also a small solid state relay on the hopper, but I'm not sure what that is for.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

Hmmm...; I like this machine: no end of fun puzzles Scratch Head

OK, do you know it is actually not counting the coins? Can you see a
coin-out count on the screen, or are you able to check a coin-out meter?
It would seem you have the counting switch thing well in hand.

The machine's tiny brain may be getting conflicting signals on whether
or not the hopper is empty or full. That hopper was built before there were coin-level probes
such as used in more modern machines. One way the old ones handled it was by weight
of coins, sensing the position of a spring-supported hopper with a microswitch;
Your hopper is so equipped: see the red arrow on the attached pic of your hopper.
If that switch is a little dicey or misadjusted, it may be getting "bounce" tripped one way or the
other during the vibration of a long payout. A jittering signal to the computer (now it's on, now it's off...)
could confuse that tiny little mind and cause it to lock up. I don't know how it's set up, whether to actuate the
overflow diverter on a full hopper, or to cease payout (call for handpay) on an empty one.

My guess would be it's intended to operate the overflow hopper when full, but ya'  never know.
Try checking/readjusting/bypassing that switch; it's worth a shot...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:25:37 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Forgot to say... I did check that switch too. It does as it should - when there's added weight, it flips the divertor (spelling?) and the coins go to the overflow. And, yes when it won't count, it's the screen count AND the meter count that just stops, while the hopper is churning out coins for a little while. When I power off , then on and press the reset button, the screen counter resumes as coins are spitted (spat? I'm tired!) out of the hopper, and then the mechanical counters tally up the output.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

I believe the tenses are:
Present-SPIT
Past-SPAT
Pluperfect-SPUT Smiley

Very weird: one would expect you'd see a "coin out" or "output jam" error, and a Call Attendant notice.
I'm lost, pal. It's my turn to watch & wait for someone brighter to pitch in  Enjoying the Show

In the meantime, I'll keep pondering.... wine
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:26:15 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Forgot! Yes, when the coins were "spitted" out, the machine locks up and CALL ATTENDANT is displayed. From that point is when the only way to clear the error is to power off, on and press one of the black buttons that I'm calling a "reset" button. The others don't do anything... well the red one does and it's really weird - but it doesn't clear the error!

I don't think it's a mechanical or hopper issue. I'm going to pull out the MPU board again and just spray some contact cleaner (carefully) on each IC that's in a socket and lift all of them up and then back in just to make sure there's no issue with dirty contacts. 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

Yeah. probably something like that. Most e-lectronic problems originate in basic mechanical connections;
that's one of the reasons I don't trust e-lectronics. Gimme a gear or chain drive, or cam/microswitch any time;
at least I can physically see the damn problem. (Oops, is my age showing...? Sorry!  )

In the meantime, one electromechanical thing that would cause such an issue is what we used to call "switch lag."
This is when a switch (including it's external mechanical connections) is actuated too rapidly for it to sense. In your case,
it would occur with insufficient mechanical lubrication, weak return spring, inappropriate adjustment, etc. on a steady-stream
cashout pay. Very much like "valve float" at high revs on a 283 Chev V8: the mechanism doesn't quite react fast enough to return to
bottom before the next up-kick from the cam. Perhaps your output-count microswitch lever is not quite getting to bottom
before the next coin lifts it. This could make the difference between a few-coin payout and a steady-stream "cashout."

I sincerely hope such is NOT the problem: I'd rather it be an issue with some damn chip or soldered-in board component:
we old mechanical guys need some "told ya so" points from time-to-time  POS Computer
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:26:43 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
FUNNY you should say that! Smiley
That was the first thing I did check when that problem started. I just (like two minutes ago) returned from the garage after removing the MPU and carefully shooting contact cleaner in the IC sockets and making sure the chips were seated. Worked for awhile... then did it again!  Duh!
Maybe I will return to the adjustable switch. I turned it in at first, thinking that was the problem Maybe I should have actually turned it out more? I guess I could check it during a payout and just manually flip the roller as I adjust the screw until it stops counting, then turn it in a little. Does that make sense?
It's still FUN playing it... I just got 4 of a kind!  applause

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From Op-Bell:

Microswitches do occasionally go bad. Very often the case gets cracked and then they either won't make, or won't break, on even numbered days in months with an 'R' in them (or some such unfathomable schedule). I would try changing the coin out microswitch before I started fiddling with the electronics.

This is actually a very interesting machine. The total program memory is only 6k! Quite an achievement to do a poker in 6k. It also has only 2k of video RAM and 1k of system RAM, plus 256 bytes of battery backed. Such a machine couldn't be made today - the art has been lost. Young whippersnappers of today couldn't write a "Hello World" program in less than a megabyte.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:27:15 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Thanks! I may just try that... it's an easy switch to get to...
What I also like is that the machine tells you if you have one, or two pair... or any winning combination, which I think is a nice feature. It plays much "friendlier" than my Fortune One! 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From SolidSilver:

"4 of a kind:" that's what my wife says about my friends and I when we adjourn to
the basement gameroom with chips, booze, and cigars. Beats anything on TV!

If you decide to re-diddle (that's a technical term  Nerd )  with the switch,
I suggest you start by lubing (WD40) the rocker-arm mechanism including the tip roller.
Hangup or hesitation in that very heavy mechanical train will exacerbate any switch misadjustment.

But far more important, it is absolutely critical that you reframmify the geschunztenhauer;
otherwise the entire schnauzenzable will...... (uh-oh, it's almost 1am and my wineglass is empty; be right back.....)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:27:46 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Shoot! I better pour a glass so I can understand your "Wineglish" speak!  Drinking Wine

I am absolutely positively convinced it's not the switch. I did check the rocker arm, lube the roller etc (actually did that earlier before I posted). What I also did was check that switch when the error was happening and it still was making and breaking contact as it should, without the meter reading the coin count out. BUT, when I powered off and on the machine, and manually flip the micro-switch, it then counts out.
So... I'm lost. It again worked for about twenty minutes, then didn't work, then did again! I can't seem to re-create any circumstances where it consistently fails.  Scratch Head

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
From Op-Bell:

Ok, so now we're going to have to look at the board. Most likely the problem is associated with a resistor that has broken internally and goes open circuit when it warms up. You're going to have to probe around and find which one it is.

One side of the microswitch is almost certainly ground. Trace the other wire back to the circuit board and find out where it comes in - most likely on the 25 pin connector, as I think the thick wires at bottom left of your pic on page 3 are power supplies. Use your meter, find the pin. Then trace the track on the board from the pin, to whatever it goes to. Somewhere along the way it will either go through a resistor to a chip, or to a resistor to 5V, or both. Change every resistor on that line. The ones on the board are all cheap and nasty carbon composition resistors that have a solid rod of carbon inside a little tube with the connecting wires buried in the ends. The rod inside may crack, or the wire come loose inside. Either will give you this kind of intermittent problem when the resistor warms up a few degrees.

I may be wrong, but even if I am, this is the very next thing I would check. If it doesn't cure the problem, the next step will be to replace the chip it goes to. I guess it's in that row of 1k resistors at the top, R14-R22, and the associated chip is the 8255, U11. Before you start chopping out resistors, inspect the board very carefully for bad joints, corrosion or shorts in that area, which can cause the same problem. These old boards that have bare tracks without a solder mask are prone to almost invisible shorts when they get old. It could also be in the connector. While you have the backshell off (to trace the wire) inspect the connections carefully.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:28:09 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
Okay it's been awhile but I'm back to this slot again. I was still occasionally getting a coin in error. I THINK (again) I've really solved it. It HAD to be the micro switch OR the coin mech. I tested it (the coin mech) outside the machine and also cleaned it just to really rule it out.
I did notice the small trip wire for the switch wasn't so straight. I thought I had fixed that but looking again I noticed it was still a bit "lumpy." When I got the coin in error alarm again, after playing for about 12 minutes straight... I noticed the wire returned up but had not activated the switch. This is only noticeable if you actually feel or listen carefully. I bent it downward slightly and now it's not getting the error after a LONG period of play.

BUT... I am back to my hopper runaway issue! Thought it might have been the switch somehow... but it did it again. So tonight I will start on the stuff that Op Bell suggested...
I hope the STATUS followers will show back up!  :hyper:

Offline gizzy2

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • gizzy2 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Anyone heard of a STATUS brand Video Poker slot? CAN'T get it to do much!
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2017, 04:13:21 AM »
Hi;
Its been a while I just wanted to know if you still have the status game machine or not?
Thanks;

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal