New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: wms 40x game change 2 help  (Read 15238 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: wms 40x game change 2 help
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:18 PM »
If you've never seen this machine work before I'm wondering if the game software on the cpu board is actually for quarter use, despite the 5 cent decal on the front. That might explain why the CLEAR procedure isn't working, since you ordered a 5 cent denomination CLEAR chip. Is that possible? Can you verify some other denomination things on the machine, like the coin entry slot and the coin comparitor on the inside of the door, are they for nickel or for another coin?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:40:48 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 11:12:26 PM »
Did everything and no 5 shows up, put data eprom back and does same, upon start up game change 2 then need clr and I made sure chips were installed the correct ways.I cannot see if the cpu board has anything  just saw this in the manual and knew my battery was dead and dead for awhile

After installing the CLEAR chip and turning on the machine how long did you give it to run? Did you get any indications, like any sounds or display messages?

Also, just to make sure, are all five of the red LED's on the righthand side of the I/O board lit, meaning the power supply voltages are ok?

Not likely to be the problem but have you double-checked that the battery you installed is good and that it is installed correctly? Do you have a meter to verify the battery voltage?

Have you ever seen this machine work, or has it been broken ever since you got it? Perhaps the cpu board is bad?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline dale

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • dale New User barely matters.dale New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 07:02:19 AM »
 (Make sure the CLEAR chip is for the same denomination as the game chips on the cpu.)

FYI , the CPU eproms are not a dedicated denomination. The Clear chip denomination determines that.

Dale

Offline Lukea

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Lukea New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 07:51:35 AM »
I have never seen the game work, the slot fits only nickels, all  5 lights in the card rack come on except for the far left light away from the 5 lights. And the battery reads 3.5 volts. I gave the machine up to 5 mins for the clear chip to give me the 5 amount, it just stays blank. Lol if I wasn't prior military and like the game theme so much I'd probably switch games.

Offline tollguy316

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • tollguy316 New User barely matters.tollguy316 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
All 5 lights  indicate both power supplies are good..   Is there corrosion around the dead battery... A red flag for me is that you aid the previous owner said it worked on and off.....   Is your preference for nickels or quarters ?    Pull out both boards and carefully inspect app gold metal pins to ensure none are bent at all.. put boards back in firmly... Also check both boards for any corrosion around leads or burnt out areas... And believe it or not... give the boards a quick smell for that burnt metal smell...   With the previous owner saying it worked on and off you might just need a new CPU...  Bill

Offline Lukea

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
I prefer nickels, and is the cpu easy to obtain and reasonable if I have to go that way. I've kinda checked boards with no smell or burnt spots
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:10:52 AM by Lukearendt »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 09:42:22 AM »
(Make sure the CLEAR chip is for the same denomination as the game chips on the cpu.)

FYI , the CPU eproms are not a dedicated denomination. The Clear chip denomination determines that.

Dale

ok, thanks for that correction, good to know.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »
I prefer nickels, and is the cpu easy to obtain and reasonable if I have to go that way. I've kinda checked boards with no smell or burnt spots

Since your cpu board doesn't complete the clear process and you've tried 2 different clear chips that would point to the cpu board being bad. But nothing is absolute when troubleshooting like this, to know for sure you'd need to substitute another cpu board in your machine (or try your cpu in a good working machine). I see them come up for sale now and then on ebay and Rudy's:

http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=90

Also some of the NLG members here have boards for these machines that they sometimes sell, you could post a request for a WMS (aka Williams) 40X machine cpu board, I think it is the same part number cpu for the 400, 401 and 40S5 models. Your cpu is part number 5779-13910-02, part number 5779-13910-03 will also work, it is just a slightly newer version of the same board.

You would buy the board and then transfer your socketed game eproms (5 chips for your game) to the new board. Be careful about getting the correct cpu board, WMS made a similar board for use on a different model machine that had a video display instead of spinning reels, it won't work in your machine. There are part numbers printed on the cpu board, that is the best way to identify them.

If the cost of another cpu board is high then perhaps the best option would be to try your cpu board in another machine and see if it works or not. That would prove if your cpu board is good or bad before you spent for a replacement cpu. Did the place or guy you got this machine from have others?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:12:09 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline tollguy316

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • tollguy316 New User barely matters.tollguy316 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
If Dale doesn't have an extra board; I might have one...   A new CPU board would be my logical guess at this point though.  Bill

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:47 AM »
If Dale doesn't have an extra board; I might have one...   A new CPU board would be my logical guess at this point though.  Bill

That's what I'm thinking too, but I'm also wondering if the backplane board that has the security eeprom might be bad instead. Doesn't the clear process format the cpu ram and reinitialize it, plus write to the eeprom on the backplane board? If the eeprom is bad then the clear process may not be able to complete.

Offline dale

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
Those IO boards can cause some of the oddest problems......

I'm sure Bill or myself can help with any boards, CPU, IO backplane.

Dale

Offline Lukea

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
Is the security eprom an easy fix and try prior to trying a new board and is there anyone that checks boards to see if mines bad

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »
The security eeprom is either soldered onto your backplane or it is socketed (I've seen a few this way, but the majority are soldered).  It is an 8 pin dip chip (the only one in the backplane) and if you have decent soldering skills, you should be able to replace it.  If it is sockted, it is obviously super easy, just swap it.   The chip itself is under $3 in most places, and it is certainly cheaper than buying a backplane, but as with all obsolete machines, you should be stockpiling parts while they are available for any future replacement if you want to keep the machine for a long period of time.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline dale

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
Where are you located? I can check the boards if you pay shipping both ways. You might be closer to Bill or Robert, I 'm sure they can check them too. You would have to send both of them . As for the security chip I am not sure but there is only one on the IO board that is removable, you may need a special burner adapter to copy one, I don't have that capability to copy one of those types. On the CPU board the only removable chips are your game chips, not sure but at least 5 and maybe 6. Some games don't use the XU18 if I remember correctly. Somebody else may be better help then this....

Dale

Offline Lukea

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
I'm in Oregon, my security xu18 the small security chip  is gone and was told I don't need it?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:43:09 PM by Lukearendt »

Offline Lukea

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 03:04:03 PM »
A little help what is the back plane board I don't know the names of the 2 boards in the rack either :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:03 PM »
EDIT - more info added

The backplane board is mounted behind the card card. Both boards inside the card cage (I/O and CPU) slide into connectors on the backplane board. Notice the small chip on the backplane, that is the eeprom. You don't have to program it on a prom burner, the machine writes and reads it as needed. The backplane also has several wiring harnesses or cables connected to it from various assemblies in the machine, like the spinning reels, bill validator, meters, and the stuff on the inside of the main door like displays and coin acceptance parts. That's why the backplane is sometimes called an interconnect board, it is a central location where just about everything connects to each other.

The XU18 on your cpu board is not a security chip and it's not very small, it is a full size 32 pin chip. It is one of the sound eproms, but your game doesn't use it, some games have more sound effects than others. The other 3 socketed eproms near XU18 are the sound eproms - XU17, XU30, XU31. These 3 chips, plus the 2 eproms at XU2 and XU3 contain the game software.

If you are not able to get thru the hard clear process or get the machine to work I'd think about taking these guys up on their offer to test your boards. That way you'll know what does or does not work, then you can see about getting any needed replacement parts. Or you could guess at what is wrong and order the part, might get lucky and that's all it takes to do the repair. But that may not fix it and you'd have to order something else, at least you'd have the extra parts as a spare, but that process would probably take longer to get the machine working. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:11:38 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline dale

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 03:32:07 PM »
The only chips you have on the CPU are game chips. XU2 is your % Chip, XU3 is a game chip. XU17, XU18, XU30 and XU31 are sound chips. In some games the XU18 is not used. Sorry for the confusion.

Dale

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 03:41:54 PM »
It's been a long time since I worked on these, but it sounds like your doing the clear correctly. You just need to be pressing the button to continue past the error. Here is the last few steps your missing. Read them and follow exactly.

I n s t a l l t h e G a m e C h i p

❑ 15. Reinsert the Data EPROM in socket XU3.
❑ 16. Return the CPU Board to the card cage. Engage the board by pushing its white board ejector tabs toward the cage.
❑ 17. Close the Card Cage Door.
❑ 18. Slant top machines only: Reengage the coin chute.
❑ 19. Turn GD power ON. The message "clr" should appear on the Credit Display. This message indicates proper clearing of the RAM. If you've also performed a game change,       "6AnnE         CHAn6E" appears first. [big]Press DIAGNOSTIC to load the new game information. Then "clr" appears, indicating the cleared RAM.[/big]
❑ 20. Lock the card cage.

• R e i n i t i a l i z e t h e S y s t e m

21. [/color]Push the DIAGNOSTIC button. The machine shuts down and reboots. If you cleared the machine properly, the message "clr" appears on the Credit Display. Push the DIAGNOSTIC button to acknowledge this message.
❑ 22.
Close and lock the Main Door.
[/i]

Offline Lukea

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »
Also question anyone know what the wiring harness p8 its just up and behind from the door open pin every time I wiggle it it makes noise through the speaker, could that cause my problems on ram reset and what is it?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal