New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Little help needed to implement CRT to LCD conversion  (Read 4912 times)

Offline fromme

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • fromme New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Little help needed to implement CRT to LCD conversion
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:18:50 AM »
I am following the guide from: http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=336.0

but I have a little older CRT processor board and the instruction from http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=336.msg967#msg967

file PEPlus CRT to LCD.doc
QUOTE: "Step 1: Replace IC chip U45 on MPU Board  Locate and remove IC chip U45 (74HC574)..." UNQUOTE

U45 is not correct for my board:(

Could someone help me identify the chip I have to replace on the board (pic added)?   (btw on my board there is no 20 pin 74HC574 latches, all are 20 pin 74HC374.

Thanks for help in advance:) 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:49:12 AM by fromme »

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Little help needed to implement CRT to LCD conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
That is not a PE+ board.

From the pictures posted in your other thread, you have a Fortune II machine, not a PE+.  As they are two different machines, the guide for converting a PE+ from CGA to VGA probably won't work for you.  Sorry.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:22:17 AM »
That is not a PE+ board.

From the pictures posted in your other thread, you have a Fortune II machine, not a PE+.  As they are two different machines, the guide for converting a PE+ from CGA to VGA probably won't work for you.  Sorry.

Thanks for the opinion, but I am pretty sure that this part is not different for Fortune II and PE+, just need to find the correct chip to change and introduce modification. Electrical schematics for the board would solve this issue for me, but I have not found them yet and ordinary Fortune II manual does not include the detailed schematics:(...maybe someone here has them or knows where to get them? 

Thanks in advance

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:54:36 AM »
I believe the Fortune II processor board (mpu) uses a 74HC374 ic at position U56 that is a similar circuit to the U45 ic used on PE+ processor boards. The 74HC374 is an older form of the 74HC574 that works the same but it has a different pinout due to changes when industry pinout standards were adopted years ago.

There are a few schematic drawings of the Fortune II circuit boards in the NLG download area. They are low to medium quality scans of an old copy of the schematics, done page by page so you'd have to print them out and tape the pages together to see how the original foldout drawings were done. They are readable but not the same as having a nice complete service manual would be. Often on equipment this old we are lucky to have anything at all. Many of the more frequently available manuals are for setting up the slot machine, how to operate it, how to replace assemblies when doing a repair such as replacing an entire circuit board, a light bulb, etc. But detailed service manuals for the repair of circuit boards are seen less often, especially on machines as old as the Fortune II.

To access the NLG download area you'd need to become a Contributing Member of NLG by making a donation to the website. Also, there are many old slot machine manuals available for purchase at another website shown below, they may have what you are looking for:

http://www.coinslots.com/manuals/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:11:02 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »
I believe the Fortune II processor board (mpu) uses a 74HC374 ic at position U56 that is a similar circuit to the U45 ic used on PE+ processor boards. The 74HC374 is an older form of the 74HC574 that works the same but it has a different pinout due to changes when industry pinout standards were adopted years ago.

There are some schematic drawings of the Fortune II circuit boards in the NLG download area. They are low to medium quality scans of an old copy of the schematics, done page by page so you'd have to print them out and tape the pages together to see how the original foldout drawings were done. They are readable but not the same as having a nice complete service manual would be. Often on equipment this old we are lucky to have anything at all.

To access the NLG download area you'd need to become a Contributing Member of NLG by making a donation to the website. Also, there are many old slot machine manuals available for purchase at another website shown below, they may have what you are looking for:

http://www.coinslots.com/manuals/

Thank you for the info and effort, I will check the board and decide if I am comfortable with performing works without schematics or not. i will check also the pinout, if it is different then the modification will require an extra step :)

BTW, what is the procedure to become a contributing member? How much is the required contribution?

Thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
You should be able to easily find the datasheets on the internet for both ic's and see the pinout differences. I didn't study the drawings or look into this a lot, so my info may not be 100%. For a project like this I'd recommend getting whatever schematics you can from wherever you choose. If the manual or drawings come at a reasonable cost I'd think it worth it considering what else you will be spending for this conversion, be sure to include the value of your time saved by having good documentation.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! Your work on this could help others looking to do a similar project.

PS> I'm pretty sure that what knagl meant in his post was that the conversion how-to you are referencing was written for the PE+ machine and its processor board. Your Fortune II processor board is a different board so the how-to guide can't be followed verbatim. Some folks would not be able to make the needed modifications to the process, he was trying to ward off you spending a lot of effort and end in failure. If you can pickup on the differences in the circuit board you have vs the circuit board the how-to guide was written for and adapt where needed you have a chance of success. But there are slot machine owners with all levels of experience so its helpful if things like this are pointed out ahead of time.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »
You should be able to easily find the datasheets on the internet for both ic's and see the pinout differences. I didn't study the drawings or look into this a lot, so my info may not be 100%. For a project like this I'd recommend getting whatever schematics you can from wherever you choose. If the manual or drawings come at a reasonable cost I'd think it worth it considering what else you will be spending for this conversion, be sure to include the value of your time saved by having good documentation.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! Your work on this could help others looking to do a similar project.

Well, a small setback...it seems I have some other type of mpu board as the U56 location is empty, and it is not 20-pin...this is kind of sad :(

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
Looks like the old drawing I saw was probably for a different mpu board than the one you have. What about taking the cga video output from the mpu and connecting it to one of those "cga to vga" converters and then connect an LCD display that has a vga input? From what I understand the things to be concerned with are the horizontal scan freq and the polarity of the 2 sync signals. Those video converter boxes take care of the horiz scan freq conversion for you, and I think they let you invert or pass-thru the sync signals to match whatever the LCD display needs.

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »
Looks like the old drawing I saw was probably for a different mpu board than the one you have. What about taking the cga video output from the mpu and connecting it to one of those "cga to vga" converters and then connect an LCD display that has a vga input? From what I understand the things to be concerned with are the horizontal scan freq and the polarity of the 2 sync signals. Those video converter boxes take care of the horiz scan freq conversion for you, and I think they let you invert or pass-thru the sync signals to match whatever the LCD display needs.

I am planning to use the converter board in any case, but unfortunately it is not "normal" cga coming out, so there is a need to change the latch and invert signals before connecting to converter. Now there is also a question about the 374 latch vs 574 latch. So it is not that simple unfortunately. Anyways the first task is to identify the correct chip.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
Thank you for the info and effort, I will check the board and decide if I am comfortable with performing works without schematics or not. i will check also the pinout, if it is different then the modification will require an extra step :)

BTW, what is the procedure to become a contributing member? How much is the required contribution?

Thanks

Contributions to the NLG website can be practically any amount, large or small. It can be a one-time donation or on a continuing basis. It is all appreciated and helps to keep the website available to everyone. We have hobbyist individuals that donate what they can and businesses that donate larger amounts. Many of the members here have a "tagline" at the bottom of their postings (like mine below) that has a link to how to make a donation. There is also a donation link on the left side of the home page.

Thank you for considering making a donation to NLG!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:12:11 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 10:47:59 AM »
I am planning to use the converter board in any case, but unfortunately it is not "normal" cga coming out, so there is a need to change the latch and invert signals before connecting to converter. Now there is also a question about the 374 latch vs 574 latch. So it is not that simple unfortunately. Anyways the first task is to identify the correct chip.

Does your mpu board have an ic that is a 74HC374 at any location?

Since the few schematic drawings the NLG download area has for Fortune II circuit boards may not match up with your mpu you want to verify whether gaining access to the download area will benefit you. What is the part number of your mpu board and I will try to find out more.

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 10:57:21 AM »

Does your mpu board have an ic that is a 74HC374 at any location?

Since the few schematic drawings the NLG download area has for Fortune II circuit boards may not match up with your mpu you want to verify whether gaining access to the download area will benefit you. What is the part number of your mpu board and I will try to find out more.

Ou yes, there are more than 5 of them on the board...and also 74HC373-s
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:24:17 AM by fromme »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
The 74HC374/574 ic's are general purpose (but high speed) flipflop chips so they are probably used in a variety of circuits. The 74HC373 is a different type of ic, it is a latch.

What is the part number of your mpu board, I will see if it is different than the documents the NLG download area has.

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 01:02:27 AM »
The 74HC374/574 ic's are general purpose (but high speed) flipflop chips so they are probably used in a variety of circuits. The 74HC373 is a different type of ic, it is a latch.

What is the part number of your mpu board, I will see if it is different than the documents the NLG download area has.

Here are the numbers:

ASSY No 7570190
Serial 9264

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 10:02:21 AM »
Here are the numbers:

ASSY No 7570190
Serial 9264

Yes, that is the same or very similar part number of the mpu board covered on the schematic drawings in the NLG download area.

In addition to the circuit board schematics there are 2 manuals for the machine. These manuals are for the setup of the machine, operating it, repairs (not circuit board repairs), contains a wiring diagram of the cabinet and a parts breakdown of the piece parts to build the machine, like hopper, glass, etc. These 2 manuals appear to be similar, may just be different printings of the same manual. They do not contain schematics of the circuit boards themselves, these manuals were written with the expectation that a casino repair person would replace a bad circuit board with another board and send off the bad board for repair.

But the other two smaller Fortune II documents are detailed schematics of the various circuit boards in the machine. These are lower quality copies but are readable. I don't know how complete they are but for what you are doing I think they would be helpful. Personally I like to have whatever written information I can find for a machine that I own, but that may just be me.

Below are a couple of examples of the schematic drawings so you can see what they are like:

(click image to enlarge)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:30:31 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline fromme

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 12:32:14 AM »
Thanks a lot for the help, I have been thinking to maybe repair the crt to keep machine more close to original, but this probably is not long time solution as it will die again quite soon as I have noticed with them:(

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal