New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Sigma W4312 RAM ERROR  (Read 11043 times)

Offline TobyOcc

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • TobyOcc New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Sigma W4312 RAM ERROR
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:25 AM »
Ok so I will pull that cap, then i should be able to hook it up to the +5 on one of my arcade power supplies correct. Is there another way to do this or is that the best way?

Thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 08:54:29 AM »
more ideas.....

If you can get a new C135 capacitor you could just replace it and know right away if that is the problem. You will have the old C135 out of the board anyway, might as well put in a new one and be done with it.

Some equipment boards do use a very low-loss capacitor as a battery, they are often called Gold or Golden Capacitors. My parents high end stereo has one, it keeps the internal memory chip working that stores their favorite radio stations, the date & time, even when the stereo is powered off. Companies do it this way so you can avoid having to replace batteries that fail. But eventually even the Gold Capacitor can go bad after many years.

That white 4-pin connector near C135 might be a connector for plugging in an external battery pack. Some older computers had a setup like that. They are called "external" because they are located off the board. We used to also call them "cmos battery packs" because they were used to keep the board's cmos memory working when the computer was shut down. Only 2 of the pins were used, I think it was the 2 outside ones. Anyway, if that is what that white connector is you could get a battery pack from someplace like RadioShack or ebay seller or Jameco and connect it to work in place of a bad C135 if you wanted to go that way. Do you have the manual or schematic drawing for this board? It should show all you need to know.

Like metex said, one of the memory chips is IC65 on your board. It is an 8k memory chip known as "HM6264", they are on ebay for less than $5. You could replace it, especially if it is in a socket on the board, I can't tell from the photo. The one on your board has a speed rating of 150 nsec, so as long as the replacement has a speed number of 150 or lower (like 120, 100, 70 etc) it would be fine.

There is another memory chip (IC77 ??) located just above C135 in your picture and it appears it might be connected by board traces to C135 and associated parts, including the white connector. It is hard to read in the photo but looks like it is a D43256 chip, which is a 32k memory. If it is socketed that would be something else to consider replacing if the other ideas don't fix it. From how close it is located to C135 my guess is this is the memory chip that is kept powered by C135 when the equipment is shut off.

IC65 RAM chip:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM6264ALP-10-8K-high-speed-CMOS-static-RAM-DIP28-90-DAYS-WARRANTY-/151113568186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232f120fba

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM6264AP-12-General-Purpose-Static-RAM-DIP28-/160820597824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2571a79440

Those external battery packs look something like this:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:33:58 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
Ok, I pulled the chips but they were super clean so not sure where the problem is. The thing that has me perplexed it the board to the right behind the wheels has a LED that is not illuminated. not sure where to go from here.

Thanks

Did you verify that the power supply voltages are correct? And earlier you mentioned that one of the 3 assemblies behind the reels had an LED unlit? Are those assemblies the drive control for each reel?

EDIT: those 3 assemblies behind the reels are probably the power supplies that make +5, +12 and +24 (or maybe +18vdc) for the machine to use.

If you want to measure the power supply voltages and list here what they measure someone here should be able to say if it is correct or not.  The RAM error could be caused by a bad ram chip, or it could just be caused by bad voltage/power supply.

Is Sigma W4312 the model number for the entire slot machine? I'm having trouble finding it listed. There should be an idplate on the outside of the machine.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:11:34 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline TobyOcc

• NLG
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:21 AM »
Thanks for all that info. I believe this Model is actually a Sigma B-50. No manual would really help.  I will test the voltage going to the unlit board, I know it has juice just not sure how much. I think I will pull that cap and just replace it. Start there at least and work through all the ideas you gave me one at a time. Thanks again.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks for all that info. I believe this Model is actually a Sigma B-50. No manual would really help.  I will test the voltage going to the unlit board, I know it has juice just not sure how much. I think I will pull that cap and just replace it. Start there at least and work through all the ideas you gave me one at a time. Thanks again.
It's hard to know if the RAM error the machine is giving is referring to the cpu RAM at IC65 or if it means the battery backup RAM at IC77. If lucky they will both be socketed and easy to change. I'd do the easy stuff first and hope that takes care of it.

Here's a manual for an old Sigma model, probably doesn't have mpu board schematics but it may have other useful info:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »

I was curious what these machines looked like, found some photos and good discussions about these old Sigma machines over on the old NLG website.

Check out this one, it pertains to what you are dealing with, specifically talks about the 3 power supplies behind the reels and how the machine won't work if the +5vdc is too low:

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=17913.0

Offline TobyOcc

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
Sweet awesome!!!. Going to give it a try tonight.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »

Good luck with it. While you are at it write down the mpu board number (Sigma part number for the mpu board written on the board), someone here might have the schematic drawing for that particular mpu. The number should be something like 340023 or similar, maybe.

With the machine turned off the voltage on C135 or on pin 28 of IC77 will be the voltage stored in C135. If it is much below 3.5vdc then the memory chip IC77 may be losing its data and throwing that error you are getting.

Here is a newer version of the mpu board you have, looks like Sigma replaced the capacitor C135 circuitry with a lithium battery. Based on the chip date codes I'd say your mpu board was made in the early to middle 1980's, this similar mpu board pictured below is from early to middle 1990's.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:16:20 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »

Were you able to get your machine working?

Offline TobyOcc

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
Not yet, I need to test the power supplies. I think one of those is the problem. I have not been able to get to see the machine for a couple days.

Offline gordy

• Reputation Power: 6
  • gordy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »
Shut machine OFF.  Turn and HOLD reset key.  At the same time press and HOLD the reset BUTTON.  Keep holding both and turn the machine ON. Continue to hold for 20 seconds. That may do it.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »
Shut machine OFF.  Turn and HOLD reset key.  At the same time press and HOLD the reset BUTTON.  Keep holding both and turn the machine ON. Continue to hold for 20 seconds. That may do it.

Sounds like a job for the 4-Armed Hero!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal