New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: V20 questions  (Read 16909 times)

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Re: V20 questions
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 06:04:57 AM »
Here are some pictures, maybe they'll help in some way.

There are some shady people in this world, stay in the light...

Offline mr-monoxide

• mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »
I'm beginning to think the cpu doesn't recognize that there is a 2nd monitor available and doesn't send a signal to the 2nd vga port. This may be a compatibility issue with the video card. I have a Jaton Nvidia GeForce FX5200 228PCI-TWIN. I've looked but can't seem to find any other video card listed, I hope I have the right one. Has anyone heard of any compatibility issues with this card?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »
that should be the right card, the fact that you are getting an image means it is working correctly.  I didn't get around to trying the hot shot game with my v20/20 today with a 512MB mpu, but I will tomorrow for sure.  I think your issue is the mpu, but I will verify that for sure tomorrow.  I have to the load the game twice (once with the 1gb mpu to verify the game works with dual screen, and once with the 512mb mpu to see if the same problem you have happens to me as well.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
Thanks! I really appreciate you doing that. I'll be interested to see if the problem repeats. The reason I mentioned compatibility as a potential source of the problem is because I noticed on more than a few PC forums that people with dual monitor issues were describing the same symptoms that I am encountering. Which is that both monitors show bios info until the splash screen appears then one monitor goes blank from signal loss. Sure sounded exactly like my problem but maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges when referring to pc's vs slot machines. In any case I sure hope to find an answer not just for me but for anyone experiencing a similar situation.

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
I am currently putting togther two more v-20/20 for customers.  I install a true 1-gig box which can be bumped to 2-gig to run some early a-2 titles. Your box is not going to work in my opinion. It does not have enough "balls" to drive this. Since you get video on top on boot on monitor is a good sign your dual vid. card is good.  I also question the game software as well.  You are going to wind up getting a 1-gig box-again my opinion.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »
So here's something interesting and maybe the info will be helpful in finding a solution. Out of curiosity and because I had nothing else to try I went ahead and installed the old 317 o/s and bios chip to see what would happen and amazingly the top monitor worked but it's showing the same game image as the lower not a separate 'glass' image up top. Not sure what this may indicate but at least I got it to display something even if it's still not correct.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:49:04 AM by mr-monoxide »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »
Well, I tried it with both a 1ghz mpu (the one with dual memory slots) and a 512MB box, and other than longer loading times, the game displayed the Hot Shot Logo on the top screen like it is supposed to.  The only thing that appears to be different is the version of the game.  I have 10816B as shown in the photo.  This is a screenshot of my software versions.  I also took a screenshot of the game loaded in my cabinet with the 512MB MPU (It had not yet fully loaded, so it doesn't have the playscreen)

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2016, 09:37:28 PM »
That's great to know and very helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. It's a relief to know that the hardware I have is capable. Looks like I'll be needing the correct software like you have, any idea where I can find it?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 09:19:33 AM »
I'm curious about something.  Post a picture of your dual video graphics card, both sides of the card.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 10:26:12 AM »
Ok, I'll do that as soon as I get home from work. I've had my suspensions about the video card as well...

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »
The reason I ask it's because on PC's if the video cards don't have drivers, it defaults to standard vga.  If the game does not require the nvdia card to function (which it does not), then the card will automatically "clone" the displays if multiple monitors are connected if there's no video driver to control the card's output.  It is only through video drivers that the mpu can direct a different image to a different monitor port.  That explains why the old OS, which doesn't contain drivers for the video card, displays both screens cloned.  The newer os does have nvidia drivers, but if it is not the right type or correct vga bios version, it won't work right.  Your game being in the 2xxxx series, should be able to display both screens if mine, which is clearly an earlier revision, does.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:40 AM »
That's kinda what I meant when I asked if any compatibility issue with this video card had been reported although I obviously didn't offer a detailed explanation or word it as elegantly as you did.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »
I had assumed you bought a known tested video card, but since you referred to the card by something other than a bally dual video card, maybe you bought a generic that does not have the right version of the vga bios to work on it.  I have two different revisions of the bally video card, so I can compare your board to what I have that I know works.  If it's the same, then we can assume it's the software at that point.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »
I bought the card brand new from a gaming vendor that listed it specifically for bally alpha 1 9000 series machines, in fact the exact same one was just listed on ebay today by a different vendor but they also say it is for the alpha 1. Here are the pictures of it.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
I've looked all over the internet and everyone lists the same video card.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
The card doesn't look like any I have seen before.  I have seen two types in the 30 or so video cards I've handled.  The vga bios version is very important since the Bally OS specifically only works with a specific card oem type.  That card is definitely not one that I have ever seen used in a bally machine.  The system identifies the card based on the PCI vendor ID information, if it doesn't match with what the Bally OS expects, it doesn't know it's there.  At this point, my best guess is that your video card's PCI Vendor ID does not match the one used by Bally, and thus your OS is not finding the card and it is using the card strictly as a frame buffer (i.e. plain VGA type).  The only way to know for sure is to try your software on a known working v20/20 or use a known to work Bally compatible video card.  When I get home today I will post photos of the two variations of cards I've seen over the last 2 or so years.  There may be an indication during post (boot) where the system displays the type of vga card it detects.  I will have to boot up a system and pay close attention to the entire boot process to verify that, but linux typically lists the vga PCI vendor ID as it probes for hardware.  When it comes to bally gaming hardware, and due to gaming certification, not all FX5200 pci cards will work, only those that match 100% with what bally got approved.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
I understand what you're saying. If that is the case and this card is not compatible someone definitely needs to let all the gaming vendors know this because this is the one they are all selling currently.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
What e-bay listing are talking about?

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »
Search for Bally Alpha 1 Video Card and it pops right up.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »
i took a video of the bios on boot up so i could look at it frame by frame. here are snapshots of the info i believe you were talking about. the 1st photo was taken at the very end of boot up, the screen then goes black for a moment and then it pops up the info shown in the 2nd photo for only a millisecond, immediately after that the top monitor loses is signal.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal