New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Reverse engineering coin comparator (grey optic)  (Read 1531 times)

Offline somehobo606

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • somehobo606 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Reverse engineering coin comparator (grey optic)
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
I bought a Universal video poker machine but it didn't have a motherboard in it. It seemed to have everything else so I figured I'd just connect all the peripherals to a PC and run poker software. Been a fun project so far but requires me to reverse engineer everything.

Anyone know how the coin comparators work? It's the grey U shaped ones and says "U-87P". It has three wires coming off, I assume one is power, one ground, and one signal. I'm not sure if the power would be 5V, 3.3V, or something weird. I assume the signal is 0V with no coin passing through and matches power voltage when a coin is there.

It's got a high speed hopper in there with 8 wires coming out which I think I lack the patience to reverse engineer :P but if anyone has an owner's manual for the machine I'd love a copy!

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 134
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Reverse engineering coin comparator (grey optic)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
That is an ambitious project I know I wouldn't tackle!! There is no real good manual for the 8304 poker machine. But there is a good manual for the 8116 slot machine.
This manual details inputs/outputs basically same as used in poker machine.

The grey optics are a 5vdc photo-transistor/photo-diode configuration. The three wires are pink 5vdc, black ground, and the other is signal. When in idle state the optic sends a logic HI, when a coin passes through (or anything for that matter) it sends a logic LO. The two that are coupled together are used see the coins incerted. Two are used so only coins going down are counted. Coin must pass first optic and then second optic in proper timing to count, otherwise a TILT is sounded. This is for those who might try a coin on a string (Yo-Yo trick) to cheat the machine. The lower single optic is used when the hopper fills with coins, a ground bar is touched by the coins in the hopper and the mpu engages the diverter solenoid. Incerted coins are "diverted" from going into the full hopper and down to a bucket in the slot stand. This single optic tracks how many coins have been diverted. (this optic not usually used for home use and can be used as a spare)

Jim

Offline somehobo606

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • somehobo606 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Reverse engineering coin comparator (grey optic)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
Great info, thanks! I was wondering what that third sensor was for. I was guessing counterfeits or something.

Project is going pretty well, pretty much done actually. I'm using IGT players edge plus software and running it in MAME. I got a USB encoder and hooked up all the buttons to that. Now I have the coin input working with the sensors. I'm just using one optic, Im not too worried about people cheating (if they're going to steal something in my house they might as well steal the cash lying around in the kitchen).

Worst case I'm going to make my own coin hopper but it'd be cool to use the one in there. Seems like I'll have a lot of timing problems with a high speed hopper though :P

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal