New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Williams Jackpot Party  (Read 3209 times)

Offline dillman

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • dillman New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Williams Jackpot Party
« on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »
I have a WMS Jackpot Party quarter machine.  Its going to need a little work, when I finally get it home (storage, buddies garage), but I was curious if this model is considered BB1, or is it Pre BB1?

I'm sure I'm going to have more questions when I start looking into it.  Thanks.

Peace,
Lynny

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Williams Jackpot Party
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
Can you post a photo of the machine? WMS actually had some different machines with that title, going way back to the 400 series model dotmation machines that came out around 1995 or so.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline dillman

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 04:40:38 AM »
I think its circa 1997. Ill see if I can post a picture.

Peace,
Lynny

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
yes, that is a WMS (Williams) 400 series machine, specifically a "40S5" model, you can check the idplate that is on the same side of the machine as the pull handle to confirm the model number. They were made much earlier than the BB1 Bluebird machines. These machines are commonly called the Williams "dotmation" slots due to the dot matrix screen in the upper part of the cabinet. The dot matrix displays cute animation, and that along with the nice sound effects adds to the playing enjoyment. There are several videos on youtube of these machines if you want to see them in action, hopefully your machine will be working soon.

Here is a nice website with a good overview of the various Williams dotmation machines:
http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/wmsslot.htm

Inside the machine in the top part of the lower area is a metal card cage that holds 2 circuit boards. One board is the cpu board, it has most of the game software chips/eproms. It also has a battery to preserve user settings such as sound volume level and other things. The other board in the card cage is the I/O board, it is the one with the 5 red LED's on the edge of the board. Both of these boards slide into the card cage and plug into a backplane board that is mounted on the back wall of the machine behind the card cage. Mounted on the left wall of the lower area is a large gray box, that is the main power supply for the machine, it has the ON/OFF switch on the front of it.

The dot matrix display is mounted in a metal box, and inside that box are 2 circuit boards. The one on the right is simply a 12 volt dc power supply used only by the dot matrix stuff. The circuit board on the left is the dotmation controller that takes care of all the animation display. On this board are 2 chips that are part of the game software. The dot controller board is connected by a ribbon cable down to the mpu board. The mpu signals the dot controller when it wants a certain animation to run.

These machines are classified as WMS reel machines since they have the 3 mechanical spinning reels. The dotmation machines are based on the slightly earlier WMS 400 models that were just normal 3 reel slot machines without the dot matrix display. The WMS 550 model came along after these machines, then later the BB1 and BB2 Bluebird machines.

These machines were fairly reliable except for the power supplies. The lower main power supply often fails, there have been several write-ups on how to repair the power supply, or simply replace it with a more reliable power supply from a ordinary desktop computer. Luckily they make the same voltages that are needed and can be wired in without too much problem. The upper power supply is even easier to replace if it fails. You just put a medium-duty 12 volt power supply in the top box of the machine and connect 2 wires from it to the dot controller board and dot matrix screen, plus disconnect the old power supply that has gone bad. An alternative to this is to locate a power supply that is a plug-n-play replacement, they are out there and some of the Williams hobbyists here on NLG can help you with that.

You can tell if your lower power supply is bad, just open the machine's main door and drop down the metal door on the card cage. Look at the 5 red LEDs on the I/O board while the machine is powered ON. All 5 of these LEDs should be lit. If any are unlit then there is a problem with the lower power supply assembly. To check the upper power supply you put a voltmeter on its output connector and look for 12 volts DC.

You can post a few more photos of your machine showing the insides and any areas you have questions about, we will try to help. Where did you get it from, does it work?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:37:47 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 06:24:15 AM »

Also, it looks like you are fairly new to NLG,

so WELCOME, glad to have you here!    :wave:

Offline dillman

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
Wow..thanks for the wealth of information. That's why I love these forums.  Especially when there are friendly folks happy to share knowledge.  I purchased this from a local fella from Craigslist. It was working prior to him moving it, he says. I also purchased a Bally Slant machine, which I'm hoping to get some more info on, as well. Ill post a pic of it. I can't get any more pics just yet. They are being stored 2 hours from me. :-(

My other 2 machines are Bally Alpha 1's that I've upgraded the MPUs on, and I'm currently experimenting with various. Video slots on them. 

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Peace,
Lynny

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »
It is possible that moving the machine has caused a malfunction, that sometimes happens. Cables and connectors can become loose, also any loose coins, screws, washers, etc inside the machine can get jostled around and land on an electrical connection, plug, circuit board and short something out. Especially if the machine has been laid down on its back or side. It is a good idea to unplug that machine and remove the hopper and circuit boards to make a good visual inspection. People have found quarters underneath circuit boards, power transformer, hopper connector and other places you don't want anything metallic. Over the years techs sometimes have dropped screws or washers inside the machine and left them there. Then when the machine is laid down those items can move to someplace that causes a problem.

I don't know a lot about Bally's but there are several folks here that do. To help keep topics organized it will be better if you start a new topic for the Bally when you get ready to post questions, that way we can keep things separated neatly. I am guessing your Bally slant top will go in this S+ forum area below, but if I am wrong one of the staff folks will move it to the right place.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?board=80.0

Sounds like you are building a nice collection of machines!

Offline dillman

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
Thank you for the proper forum guidance.  There are so many areas it can be daunting.

As for.the collection..tell my girlfriend...she can't wait for my man cave to be built and populated...neither can I, though..  :-)

Peace,
Lynny

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
Thank you for the proper forum guidance.  There are so many areas it can be daunting.

As for.the collection..tell my girlfriend...she can't wait for my man cave to be built and populated...neither can I, though..  :-)

Peace,
Lynny

If you put real quarters in the machine and let her keep any winnings she will become a fan if she's like the women I know.   :garfield:

Offline dillman

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
Oh, I will, but she's just not that into them, as much as I am.
Maybe after her first jackpot she'll be hooked, we'll see..  :-)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal