New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Dotmation machine value  (Read 1550 times)

Offline slotdoofus

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Dotmation machine value
« on: August 04, 2017, 07:55:47 AM »
I have a chance to pick up a Williams Dotmation slot machine. The machine is currently missing the CPU board.

I think the title is Mermaids Gold. The DMD shows signs of out-gassing, but displays fine once it has warmed up.

I can probably get this machine for $50 - $100. Are parts available for this machine? If so, what's the cost of a CPU? I'm not sure I'm wanting to make this purchase. I'd have to learn how to do repairs on something other that Bally or IGT.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Dotmation machine value
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
my 2 cents,,,,,

I'd say if you can get it for $100 or less that's a good deal, as long as the cabinet metal isn't total trash and rusted from like being in a flood. A machine that has been in a flood will often have many problems with electrical cable connectors, wiring, wire terminals, ground attachments that are damaged. This can be a major problem. But even if you never get it working the good parts from it could likely be sold for more than $100.

Although not as popular as other brands (IGT, Bally) the Williams machines are owned by many people so there is a need for good used parts. There are several Williams dotmation machine owners on NLG. As far as getting it working you can still find parts to repair it but they are getting harder to locate and prices for the parts have gone up. The dot matrix screen and good working cpu boards can be costly. Prices always vary depending on the seller. The missing cpu board may have been sold after the machine stopped working for another reason (bad power supply is common).

The dotmation machines have 2 power supplies and both are the weakest part of the machine and what usually causes a machine to stop working. Luckily they can be replaced with aftermarket power supplies that are low cost and more reliable than the original power supplies were. The lower power supply is for the entire machine except the dot matrix display and its associated circuit boards. The 2nd power supply is located inside the dot matrix metal box enclosure in the top part of the machine. This smaller power supply makes the 12 volts for the dot matrix display and dot matrix controller board.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:47:31 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline slotdoofus

• Reputation Power: 52
  • slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
That large DMD is costly. It's the same display that Sega Pinball used in a few of their pinball machines....I have a Frankenstein pinball machine that uses the over-sized DMD.

Those DMD fun about $500 these days.

Thanks for the input. Just not sure if I want to "pull the trigger" on this one. I'm already out of room.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:08 AM »
I hear ya about the room!  Where are you or this machine located? I'm a dotmation fan but it's probably too far away.

Something to be aware of, the Mermaids Gold and Mermaids Treasure dotmation machines have a unigue player button panel that has 3 extra buttons for the bonus round. All the other dotmation machines don't have this special button panel.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 03:20:57 AM »
I'd say if you can get it for $100 or less that's a good deal

Agreed.  Worst case you could part out the kit (glass, strips, and 3-button game panel) and certainly make your money back.  I love my Dotmation machine.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal