New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 873 tilt light and feature lights flashing  (Read 3826 times)

Offline kb8yrw

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • kb8yrw New User has no influence.
  • NLG
873 tilt light and feature lights flashing
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:11:44 PM »
Well I finally got back to playing with my slots after a couple life happens circumstances......all better now. Anyway I bought a sick 873 about 2 years ago and never cracked it open. Well I plugged it in and the cooling fan started but not much of anything else. So I decided to check all the connections by removing and reseating everything, ribbon cables molex connectors, even the chips on the boards, I powered it back up and progress! The display lit up the feature lights started flashing and the tilt light was on. I got a copy of the manual and went through some of the troubleshooting. The display shows a 50 000 which I understand is the door open fault. With the door closed I hit the jackpot key and it displays 20 000 then 0 000 alternating. I open the door and checked for a coin jam but nothing there. I hit the reset and it displays 5 then 6 then 7 then 8. I tried to put it in test mode but hitting the test does not change the display off 50 000. I checked the battery on the ram board and it measures 3.6v. Today when I powered it up the display showed a 2 (ram error) for about a minute then display changed to 50 000 and lights started flashing again. I checked the power supply and the 5 volts was 5.2 the 7.5 volts was 7 and the 10 volts was 7.5 which is a bit low. This is a 5 line 3 reel nickel machine. I ordered a clear chip for it but have not got it yet. Power supply problem? Anyone seen this problem before? Thanks in advance for any guidance .
In the end the one with the most toys wins!

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: 873 tilt light and feature lights flashing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
It sounds like your power supply is the main issue if your 10V is that low. There is a very good after market power supply for sale on Ebay. I have used them quiet often. Double check your power supply plug for burnt and loose connections. If you solder you could remove your old power supply and check the solder joints for the pin header for the main plug. Those solder connections crack and cause bad connections that won't let you game operate properly.. I learned this the hard way with my first ever e-series machine.. Another big problem with these e-series machines are the ribbon cables.. Pins get bent or broken off.. I just did a service on a E-Series game, and it's main problem was broken ribbon cable end pins and the same on the win meter ribbon cable.. Those new power supply's a good insurance policy if your planning on keeping the machine, and even a better one for if your planning on flipping the game. Makes a great selling feature..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
While taking out the PS I noticed the black w/green trace wire hanging behind the plug. Looks like it is out of the molex connector. I have not figured out which pin it is supposed to go on....... :Scratch-Head:

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 05:01:15 PM »
Is that the board next to the hopper plug? That's a relay board used in the early Bally e series. Your hopper board is mounted to the Bach wall behind the hopper and transformer. Let me see if I have a picture of a plug here
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
Yeah sure is. Nosing around and the closest thing I could come up with is a delay board for the hopper? I took out the PS and looked at the pins closely and I did find several fractured solder joints so I resoldered the whole board. Wife interrupted my progress  :hissyfit: so I didn't get a chance to power it back up. I really appreciate the help

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
I looked for that after market power supply and couldn't find the auction? It was there just the other day. I hope the seller is still making them. I only have one left myself. I was a Bata Tester on those new boards about 5 years ago. I tested a proto type for a few months. I did a search in my EBay history but can't go back to when I bought this last batch. Hopefully the seller on vacation or the ad just needs to be updated. Here is a picture of what a new one looks like. If I do see the auction again, I'll be buying a few myself.
And remember...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Thanks for finding that. I just saved it in my watch. Did you figure out that loose wire? The one E Series machine I have here doesn't have your board in it. Do your have a copy of the E Series manual? That plugs pin out might be in the manual. If you look at the plug and the relay board, you might be able to figure out where that wire was before.
And remember...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
Still chasing my tail with this one. Still getting the 20 000 error when I turn the jackpot key with the door closed. Resoldering the PS did not change anything so hoping the new PS will help. I cant find the schematic for the relay board that has the wire hanging out of the Molex plug. Is the 20 error a coin jam?

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
Turning the reset keys not going to fix error cords.. It's used for book keeping and clearing the largest jackpot.. Error codes are usually only two numbers in the win meter.. I'd have to find my paper manual to check error codes
And remember...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:12:29 PM »
Okay I think I made some progress. I double checked the coin switch since I was getting the 20 error when I turned the jackpot key. I removed the NO wire and checked the switch, tested good. Powered up the game with the wire off and no change. I put that back on and took off the NC (green/orange) and tested the switch, tested good with meter. I powered up the game with the wire off and the white candle came on and the feature lights stopped flashing. I hit the test button and am now able to run the machine through the tests!!!! I put the wire back on and the machine immediately faults again. Progress?

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 05:32:18 PM »
One thing with the Bally e Series machines is that you can not try to play them with the door open. If you do they will Tilt. The only way to run them with the door open is in test 8.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
If you send me you email in a PM I think I have a Bally manual in PDF I could send you.
And remember...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:03 PM »
okay after several Jack and Cokes :Crazy: I went through this !@#$% and checked every wire physically and with a meter. I discovered that apparently the coin switch was wired backwards. Now when I reset the machine close the door it accepts nickels and allows me to spin. It correctly counts the coins 1 thru 5 and properly displays the amount. The handle releases and the reels spin. The first reel stops but the 2nd and 3rd continue to free spin and I get the 42 error saying the 2nd reel failed. I see this as progress for sure. So aside from that problem it still has a couple quirks and is not behaving properly while testing. I put it in test 8 so I can play the game with the door open and it tilts immediately when the coin switch is operated. When I close the door the white candle goes out and it accepts coins.  :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head: :Scratch-Head: I checked both door switches with the meter and they test fine. The hopper test also does not work (test 4). The hopper does not move. I performed the switch test (3) and all work except the coin switch that tilts the machine immediately with the door open but works with the door closed. The wire I found earlier hanging by the delay board is still hanging and I have not found where it belongs. Obviously this machine has been worked on prior to me getting it so lord only knows what else I will find.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
I sent you a PDF copy of the E-Series manual.. As for your 42 code you need to see if all 5 lights are on in the second reel reader. The disk that that runs thru the reader should be about 1/16" to 1/32" from the left inside edge of the reader.. Sometime removing the readers and cleaning the bulbs will help, but the photo transistor could be weak. I do repair and rebuild the 50V and 5V reel readers. You can swap the 2nd and 3rd reader to see if your error turns to a 43 or 3rd reel error.. It sounds like that loose wire on the relay board could be why your hoppers not working.. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a machines with that relay board. I think I have one, but it's buried in my back room..  At least your making head way.
And remember...

Offline kb8yrw

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 06:11:41 AM »
Thank you for the manual  :thank_you: I moved the second reel reader to the third position and now I get a 43. I tested the bulbs and the third one in is open so I ordered some new #680 bulbs to replace it. Wish I had a local source for this stuff I hate waiting but I have other issues on the machine to work on in the mean time. I need to clean the grease that has turned into glue off the reel arms. I noticed this morning that the arms are sticking and they were free last night when the machine was all warmed up. My rec room is 72 deg but that grease glue gets pretty stiff when the machine is off. Amechanic thank you for taking the time to look for that mystery wire connected to that delay board. I am going to go over the schematics today and see if I can make some sense of it. I am also going to put some power on the hopper motor just to make sure it will run.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
 Caution .. If you bench test that hopper motor make sure the hopper control board is disconnected and removed. If you don't you will cause severe damage to that board.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »
When your greasing and oiling make sure to do the hand gearbox. Remove the handle plate  there is a  ratcheting lever in there to grease, plus all the pivot points. You don't need to reinstall that cover, I usually don't. Just put the screws back.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
YEA.. :dancing_2:  Good news, I finally got to my E1000 game and got a picture of the plug. I think your connector might be missing the spur or hook that holds it in the plug. See my pic. Sometimes they just get flattened down. If you need a couple I can mail them to you.
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal