New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: PE Doors Chrome has scratches and swirl marks, can they removed to save the door  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I just picked up an IGT PE Video Poker machine. It works great, but the chrome on the front door above the buttons is full of scratches and swirl marks. I'm trying to figure out a way if possible to buff or polish them out.. Does anyone have any suggestions short of changing out the door?

Thanks, Gary

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:00:39 AM by Ron (r273) »
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
Use the finest steel wool you can buy (it's either 00 or 0000). It will remove some (heck, maybe all) of what you describe, without scratching a bit. You will soon be addicted to using it, and will find yourself buffing every machine you have with it...works great on a rust spots, removes decades of grime easily, you name it.
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I've used 0000 steel wool for cleaning glass. I've alway just used a chrome polish, but it won't touch these marks..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
Well I went out and bought some 0000 steel wool. I tried a bit of polish with the steel wool. I didn't see much of a change. I think I'll remove the deck buttons so I can get a little more aggressive. I don't want to damage the buttons. If it won't buff out maybe I could that some 600 grit sand paper and wet sand the deck for a satin finish?? Kind of like what the doors sides are..

Gary
And remember...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
Re: REPAIRED.. PE Doors Chrome has scratches and swirl marks.. REPAIRED!!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »
Well I have a finished product. The steel wool was great for basic cleaning, but these scratches were too much to buff out by hand. I got looking around and found a head light restoration kit I had from doing the car. I took the buffer and attached to to my cordless drill. There polishing compound wouldn't cut my scratches, so I got out the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and started buffing. After a couple hour and two battery recharges I now have an almost scratch free button deck on my PE machine. I started to buff thru the chrome in two places so I stopped. If you look at it in the right light and angles you can still see some scratches, but I'm not complaining, knowing how bad it was.. I removed all the desk buttons, coin head, and glass before polishing. I never would have thought it could look this good again short of rechroming it. Now back to hooking up my switches and wiring..
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:53:48 PM by Amechanic »
And remember...

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! That's awesome!!! Good to know, good to know! I have considered the same thing (well, along those lines anyway) for diminishing scratches in precious pieces of glass. I tried some buffer/polish/wax stuff we had for pinball games and although I "thought" there was an improvement, I knew it would eventually come off with enough cleaning.

Thanks a ton for this tip Gary, as we are diving into EM restoration land, and little tricks like this will can make all the difference in the world!

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Boy what a difference! Looks great!
Excellent tip!  :applause:

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
Re: REPAIRED.. PE Doors Chrome has scratches and swirl marks.. REPAIRED!!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to see if I could get every scratch out, but if you look close in the pictures over the buttons, you can start to see the copper below the chrome, so i had to stop.. It really wasn't that hard once I removed the glass, buttons and coin head. I then taped the button holes from the bottom, then protected the CRT with a couple of towels. I think it was harder reinstalling the buttons and wiring harness! I'm super happy with the results  :applause:   :dancing_2:

Gary
And remember...

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
As you should be!!

Offline Ron (r273)

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
I moved this topic (from General Chat/Welcome Wagon) for future reference here and be easier to find.
I'm retired....My job is having a good time with my slots.   Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal