New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S+ new owner, few issues  (Read 9855 times)

Offline PStuart

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PStuart New User has no influence.
  • NLG
S+ new owner, few issues
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
I got an S+ Double Diamond w/ IGT SP872 game chip.  Upon plugging in I got an error 12.  The previous owner had purchased a replacement battery that didn't have leads and couldn't get it to sit correct so they gave it up to me (for free!!).  They were trying to solder directly to the battery.

I purchased the correct battery with leads and soldered to the board.  Confirmed 3.6VDC to the board w/multimeter.

While I was waiting for the battery I did my homework and read through forums and the field service manual.  After powering on after the battery swap, I got error 61 as expected.  I closed door and hit the reset key.  The "Coins Played" show 0-1-0, the candle has a slow top flash and a fast bottom flash.  The manual tells me that's an "All pays door open".  This is where I'm starting to fee doubtful about my troubleshooting...

I believe this means that the optics are sensing the door is open.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I used my cellphone to see if the optics are functioning.  I didn't see a pulse, but the optic mounted to the door looked like it had a faint constant transmission, it was really tough to tell.  I'm thinking the next step is to replace the optics.  I'd really like to get the machine functioning, even with a temporary fix on the optics to make sure the machine as a whole functions.  I'm ok with ordering new optics if that's what my next step is, but hoping for some pointers or tips just to make sure I'm on the right path here.  Looking forward to being a part of this community too!

-Peter

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: S+ new owner, few issues
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
When you get the 61 you have to hold the white reset button till you hear a ding or for 5seconds
and you get 61 1 on the display.
You then shut the door and turn the reset key.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
Thanks, after reading into this some more you are absolutely correct.  I powered on and let it get to 61 again.  I held the white reset button 2-3 seconds and heard the 'ding' and got the 61-1.  Close door and hit reset key.  Looked good for a second then gave me a 61 again.
I tried the white reset button again but now no response from it.  I powered the machine down completely and back up, back to 61 error and still no response from white reset button.

I'm guessing I'm now in the "61 loop" I've been reading about.  I read all the warnings about using a clear chip; before I resort to that option, is there anything else I should try?

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »
No your in the 61 loop and the only recourse is to do a clear and setup.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:53:47 PM »
That's what I figured.

I haven't seen much documentation on what to expect when I do one.  Is there a guide anywhere or step-by-step?  I'm an IT guy comfortable around electronics, just first time I've "dabbled" in slot machines.  I see the chips available on ebay, does anybody recommend other sources for obtaining the chips?  Once it's cleared, what can i expect for the setup process?

Offline Buzz

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:13:45 AM »
Here is the PSR for your SP872 and a old set of clear and set instructions.

:NLG_WELCOME:
PUT BRAIN IN GEAR BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN MOTION

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »
If you change your sp chip to a sp1271 it will force an init of the eeprom and it will get you out of the 61 loop as well.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 05:43:12 PM »
Thanks for all the good info.  Going to get hold of a clear/set chip set.

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
So I've made some progress, I think...
I ordered a clear and set chip on ebay.  I replaced the game chip (SP872) with the clear chip and powered on.  Pressed the white button twice and watched the credits played counter count up twice ending at 999.  I powered down, replaced the clear chip with the set chip.  I followed instructions to turn BV on and set the denomination to .25 (this is what the machines marking has above the coin slot).  I powered down and replaced the set chip with my game chip (SP872) and powered back on.  With door still open I received the 61 error.  I pressed the white button, heard the ding and got 61_1.  I close the door securely and turn the reset key and I get no response.  I have tried opening door and pressing white button, closing and trying again, the machine seems to stop responding once it gets to the 61_1 error.  Suggestions?

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
After spending all day working on this, I was able to get past the 61 errors.  Lots of trial and error eventually got the machine working properly.  The bill validator accepts dollars and denomination is set correctly (.25).  However, the coin comparator is not functioning.  The small red led does not light up and coins just pass thru to the collection tray.  I checked voltage w/multimeter on each of the pins to the coin comparator and only read fractions of a volt...  What should be the proper voltage thru the pins (black I assume ground, yellow, purple and red is loopedback to last pin). 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
Silly question, but I'll ask... is there a sample coin in the CC?  ;D

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 05:20:29 PM »
Yes, there is a quarter in the comparator.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »
That's good !
I'm not sure on those voltages, but the other thing is to check all connectors at both ends...making sure the little pins aren't squished and not making contact, as well as checking the wire connections.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »
I have checked all connections, everything looks good.

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
Read as much of this thread as I could.  Now I am assuming your game works and will take bills but the coin in does not work?.

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:59:45 PM »
Read as much of this thread as I could.  Now I am assuming your game works and will take bills but the coin in does not work?.

That is correct.  When I open the door, the little light on the comparator is not lit up.  Coins go straight through to the collector tray.

Offline PStuart

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 06:01:51 PM »
I have also checked all fuses, which checked OK.  Confirmed continuity w/multimeter.

Offline Buzz

• Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »
S+ CC lite will always be off when the main door is open. Same ans. you won't get a voltage reading with the main door open. Other than bypassing the door optics, you can open the belly glass door and get a reading with the main door closed.  ( The CC needs to be hanging down to where you can get to it )

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
Game plays fine with credits on it from bills being inserted. Just won't take coins.  I would double check your settings AND I would clean the optics in the coin drop.  To not have any pwr to comaparitor may be another issue but keep in mind if you have it set up prop. the mpu/cpu does not recknonize it.  Also the coin you have in there Must be properly seated and indexed in the comparitor.  Simple things to check but I have also seen strange problems as well. Not a s+ expert as I am quite rusty -Just trying to help.

Offline Buzz

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
Barry  If the coins are going to the tray, that leaves the coin optics out as the problem. Now I'm not saying the coin optics are good, we won't know until  a coin goes to the hopper.

PStuart  I do not recommend this as a fix but as a test it's OK.  Pull the comparator out and on the backside of it you will see what we call a rake. Using a folded up piece of paper and block that rake open. Install the comparator, drop a coin in and see what happens.  Now here's the CAUTION when that rake is blocked open each and every size coin known to man will go to the hopper. Makes a big mess if someone hits CASH OUT,

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal