New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Guide to MINTY tokens!!!  (Read 14506 times)

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
Guide to MINTY tokens!!!
« on: June 28, 2015, 08:54:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

So for those that are into the coin handling aspect of gaming, there is nothing worse than playing with filthy, tarnished tokens and/or coins.  A month or so ago, I picked up around 300 or so of the famous Fannini dollar tokens at a fantastic deal from Ben himself.  A good portion of them were in fantastic condition, and the rest were extremely tarnished and worn.  This was agreed upon as part of the deal as I was more interested in the clanking sound in the coin tray.  Needless to say, that lasted about 2 weeks, and I decided to pursue some restoration options to bring the tokens back to life.

The first test was soaking them in hot water and dish soap.  Stirred them around in the mixture, but it didn't do anything.

The second test was using Simple Green and a toothbrush.  Didn't do anything.

The third test vinegar and baking soda.  No change.

The fourth test was trying some silver polish.  This actually made a dent, but I didn't want to polish 300 tokens by hand.  And it didn't really add the "shimmer" I was looking for.  Not worth the effort.

FINALLY, I hit the jackpot!   Went down to Harbor Freight and picked me up a  5lb vibratory tumbler and some rust cutting abrasive resin media...plastic chunks.  Got it home and plunked in around 60 tokens and 3/4 media.  Let it work for a about 4 hours.  Pulled the tokens out and the majority of the tarnish was gone, but the tokens were left with a dull finish after rinsing them all off.  I used a soft brush, Simple Green, and hot water to get the media off of the tokens.  I then laid them on paper towel to let them dry.

Next I went to Cabellas and picked up a jug of walnut shell media.  Supposedly, this is what polishes the heck out of brass and other metals.  I filled the tumbler with 2/3 of this media, and 60-70 tokens per batch.  Let each batch run for about 1.5 hours.  Folks, this stuff brought the shine back and these tokens look like they are fresh from the mint.  Shimmering and beautiful again like new!

If you want your tokens and coins to look minty fresh and feel smooth to the touch, I strongly suggest giving this a try.  The tumbler can be had for 50 bucks or less and the media is about 15 per container, and is reusable.  This process is well worth the money in my opinion.

Anyway, some of the tokens were so shot and tarnished, you couldn't even read them.  Fingers were left blackened.  After running this process, I can say that Ben's tokens are of the highest quality.  They're beautiful. Nothing even comes close.

Below are some before and after photos, and a picture of the tumbler and media.

Thanks,
Jason
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:04:47 AM by Ron (r273) »

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline 777sizzler

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 129
  • 777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!777sizzler Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Guide to MINTY tokens!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
Jason, This is a good post- :cool_thumb_up: , I will say you are so OCD and Annul it is just crazy.  Yes -also I have a lot of Ben's tokens that I got years ago and are still Mint- they even match my intials and my 777 sig. ---None of mine need re-furib.  But I got them 10 years ago and barely used.  Again for the annul-Great post. --Almost as good as 3-titties-Though what would we do with them!.

Online Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
You can get the walnut shell media much cheaper at a pet store.  People use it for animal cages.  I guess that makes it cheaper than the same stuff that's used in ammo cartridge re-loading.  Works great for polishing pinball playfield parts too.

Offline CommTech

• Joe
  • Sr NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • CommTech New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
Great post!  Has anyone tried a sonic jewelry cleaner?

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »
Great post!  Has anyone tried a sonic jewelry cleaner
if you have one that the way to go much cheaper

Offline frosty170

• Reputation Power: 5
  • frosty170 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
Harbor Freight also sells the Walnut Shells, I use the 20% coupon. That polisher works great, I'm restoring my Ms Pacman arcade and have polished many parts that came out great.

Offline ricker

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • ricker New User has no influence.
  • NLG

Offline frosty170

• Reputation Power: 5
  • frosty170 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »
From what I read the best for polishing are the types that are Vibratory and not the ones that turn. I thru in a Ms paceman token I had along with other parts and looks great.

Offline ninnjinn

• Reputation Power: 4
  • ninnjinn New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:12:30 PM »
From what I read the best for polishing are the types that are Vibratory and not the ones that turn. I thru in a Ms paceman token I had along with other parts and looks great.

That is pretty much correct....  While the "tumblers" will get most stuff that turns your fingers black off,  They don't really get them all new looking like Yoeddy1's did.

Offline CaptainBreakout

• Reputation Power: 0
  • CaptainBreakout New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 11:21:03 PM »
I too have had really good results with the Harbor Freight vibration tumbler and walnut shell media

It will only get certain tokens/coins so far tho. Here's what I do to get to the next step...

Steel wool... From standard to fine grade. It's dusty, messy business, but it makes your coins shine like crazy.  Circular "wax on wax off" strokes while you are watching a TV show works wonders as you do each coin at a time.

Also super-fine grade sandpaper (I like 1500 grit) will polish the top flat raised surface layer on a token to a mirror finish. In this case you can actually use patina and tarnish to your advantage, the raised area looks amazing against the recessed field. Make sure to use the sandpaper on a flat surface and just move the coin around with your fingers.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal